SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

NAHL? Off the top of my head ... Kaleb Johnson ... but goalies are different. What say you @Wilbur

Similar but different? Drake Caggiula (OJHL, Canadian Junior B). 

Right. I figured a few goalies but very few skaters.  The Juice is Junior A but tier II Canada nonetheless … 

NAHL has 300 + NCAA D1 college commits this year which is 2nd only to the USHL.  Every team in the NCHC has more recruits out of the NAHL than UND for whatever reason. The NAHL has become a much deeper league the past few years in some part due to the fact that the 5th year (covid year) has kept 200-300+ players out of college hockey. Those kids that take the 5th year of eligibility are pushing down Jr players for another year that would be playing DI.  Typically the NAHL roster would be at least a year older and a little bigger in size than USHL roster but would not have the high end skill of USHL roster. The NAHL is quite a bit more physical than the USHL; especially the ‘dirty South’ division as it’s affectionally called. The South typically is the strongest division - this year no different as Oklahoma proved by going 9-0 through the playoffs. The South leads the league in attendance as well with some teams averaging 2500+.  

http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/

https://lscluster.hockeytech.com/statview/mobile/nahl/#/roster/1/271?league=1

16 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Well that sucks, I kinda wanted to see him on the roster.

Me too. Back in the old days we almost always had spots for the local standouts. Times are a bit different…margins are slimmer 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Me too. Back in the old days we almost always had spots for the local standouts. Times are a bit different…margins are slimmer 

Or has the landscaped changed to the tune of, do two years at a feeder school and then we can talk portal.

32 minutes ago, ChadR said:

I would say we have over recruited local guys as of late and a lot of them haven't panned out in college.

I guess my point was we used to be able to take 1-2 local kids (even if they were role players) because our recruiting was so heavy. Those “local role players” were offset a bit by blue chips. I’m not saying WLB should be on the team…very much in that bubble territory given the age/league he played in.

• Upvote 1