SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

There were a lot of players from the tournament at the Ralph last night. I talked to a few of them from Bishop Kearney. They really liked the facility. Coming up here all the way from Rochester is pretty cool…… the one in New York!

It's a good showcase. It's a smart showcase. 

Between this and a camp UND has put on in the spring It's brought a lot of very high end potential recruits into the building that maybe don't usually get the chance.

It's something the coaches haven't got a lot of credit for implementing, but it's a good thing g for the program.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Between this and a camp UND has put on in the spring It's brought a lot of very high end potential recruits into the building that maybe don't usually get the chance.

It's something the coaches haven't got a lot of credit for implementing, but it's a good thing g for the program.

Agreed - now step two is landing some of those high-enders.

11 hours ago, burd said:

Hopefully the Marvin family will be of some help.

Pilgrim sounds like a finisher...45 goals in 28 games?  Geez, sign that kid up, we need finishers.
Get Marvin-Cordes too...I like the sounds of his description...small and fast.  I'm all for another Panzer.  :) 

1 minute ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Who is Berry realistically going after? Anyone have some insight on potential recruits?

Berry doesn’t seem to offer scholarships to kids playing high school hockey very often. A lot of these guy’s playing in this tournament might be more “keep an eye on and see how they do in juniors” types. 

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Berry doesn’t seem to offer scholarships to kids playing high school hockey very often. A lot of these guy’s playing in this tournament might be more “keep an eye on and see how they do in juniors” types. 

Not surprising, HS players are a lot more volatile and unpredictable in terms of production compared to already established USHL, BCHL etc. players

35 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Not surprising, HS players are a lot more volatile and unpredictable in terms of production compared to already established USHL, BCHL etc. players

That's completely true, but I would also ask, what do you have to lose? It would be one thing if every recruit made it to campus, but they don't. I'm not for the old Wisconsin approach either of having 40 recruits lined up, but I would say some HS players would be worth the "risk". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's completely true, but I would also ask, what do you have to lose? It would be one thing if every recruit made it to campus, but they don't. I'm not for the old Wisconsin approach either of having 40 recruits lined up, but I would say some HS players would be worth the "risk". 

I’m not necessarily a fan of never offering scholarships to high school players myself, but it seems Berry is only going to offer the completely obvious D1/NHL prospect playing high school hockey. And to be fair, I don’t think he’s the only coach like this. That’s why all these high school hockey players are committing to more mid-tier college hockey schools that will offer them before they get to juniors. They don’t want to wait until juniors to commit a lot of the time. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m not necessarily a fan of never offering scholarships to high school players myself, but it seems Berry is only going to offer the completely obvious D1/NHL prospect playing high school hockey. And to be fair, I don’t think he’s the only coach like this. That’s why all these high school hockey players are committing to more mid-tier college hockey schools that will offer them before they get to juniors. They don’t want to wait until juniors to commit a lot of the time. 

People wondered why we didn't offer Garrett Worth, Grant Slukynsky, or Landon Parker, but we have seen that even guys that at one point were expected to be high draft picks like Ryder Donovan and Mitchell Mattson didn't really pan out.  Everyone can call out the coaches after the fact when a player works out, but the same ones would be the first to complain when we have a roster that "has no talent".   Zach Yon looked to be a great college player from his high school career, but many complained about him when he was here. 

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

People wondered why we didn't offer Garrett Worth, Grant Slukynsky, or Landon Parker, but we have seen that even guys that at one point were expected to be high draft picks like Ryder Donovan and Mitchell Mattson didn't really pan out.  Everyone can call out the coaches after the fact when a player works out, but the same ones would be the first to complain when we have a roster that "has no talent".   Zach Yon looked to be a great college player from his high school career, but many complained about him when he was here. 

So true.  Spectator sports fans are very adept at the "woulda coulda shoulda what if" game.  

On 3/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

It obviously has potential, but will Berry actually use it to his advantage?  Or, is he working on trademarking the new NorKota jerseys to replace the NoDak ones swept under the rug?

On 3/7/2023 at 10:33 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Who is uncommitted and D1 caliber in the tournament? Pilgrim and Fisher, there have to be more.

Definitely is, a lot of players will end up playing D1. As it relates to our program….the only uncommitted player i could see is Fischer. Pilgrim looks the part but he’s being spoon fed by shaugabay. His vision doesn’t look the part.

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Anyone know if UND was after Jayson Shaugabay?

Seems like he'd maybe like to follow Oshie and Nelson to the Sioux

Kid is incredible

We were heavy on him…but he was a bit inconsistent in some bigger showcase event and I believe (total rumor) we wouldn’t totally commit when he was eligible and he chose UMD. Then he actually did well in the ushl this year. So our miss I suppose.