SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

What were they doing?

Being servicable to solid role players. Just like guys like Ryan Martens, or Tom Benson, or Mike LaMoine, or Mario Lamoureux (some legacies, some not).

UND's team style needs those guys. And if you can get them to come in with little to no scholarship impact, isn't that a good thing?

Great minds think alike and respond at almost the same time?

I wonder what it is like at Lincoln for the coach having your nephew playing and your brother's nephew and son playing for for you?

Do you realize how moronic and petty your statements sound? While it's true that Paul and Luke might be connected to the coach these two kids, who the heck cares, the two players in question are also two of the best players from North Dakota for their age group.

Do you realize how moronic and petty your statements sound? While it's true that Paul and Luke might be connected to the coach these two kids, who the heck cares, the two players in question are also two of the best players from North Dakota for their age group.

Agree completely. I think Paul and Luke have more than demonstrated in the USHL that they are good players, no matter who their family relations are to. You don't get a say in who your relatives are. They're good players. Happy to have both coming to UND in a couple years.

What were they doing?

Being servicable to solid role players. Just like guys like Ryan Martens, or Tom Benson, or Mike LaMoine, or Mario Lamoureux (some legacies, some not).

UND's team style needs those guys. And if you can get them to come in with little to no scholarship impact, isn't that a good thing?

Yeah, you get those guys that grew up dreaming about playing for the Sioux, and they would go through a wall if they were told to do so. Scott Dub was a perfect example. Many times you would rather have guys like that rather than those who feel entitled to playing time. We've seen in the past few years how that attitude hasn't worked wonders for the rival to the south. It is worth noting that Minnesota's resurgence has taken place with walk-on type players like Serratorre and Parenteau who have strong work ethics, which in turn makes the talented guys stay on their toes if they want to see the line-up.

Morrelli played for the Sioux in the late 50s before the NCAA got stricter about those things. And again, Izzy played for us in the late 1980s before the NCAA got stricter about those things.

And Wilbur, I am slightly confused? Are you trying to say that the Parises paid UND to get Jordan here or that they made Zach's commitment contigent on Jordan being recruited? Either way, not the same situation as making a recruitment contigent on donations.

I think my point was the fact that sometimes players end up at certain institutions for other reasons than their athletic ability. In the instance of the Parises, I believe the elder was brought in effort to keep the younger in Grand Forks for a longer period of time. But I think everyone and their hunting dogs know that.

PS: The Johnson kid and the LaDue kid are great hockey players. In no way do I believe that Vaaler insurance has anything to do with them playing for the Sioux in the future. Just pointing out that every university has had their Willy Marvin at some point in time.

More like how petty it is of all of you that think this is a bad question to ask. For one thing Chad is a friend of mine and I was just wondering what it would be like to coach the kids.

I assume you were horribly disapproving of Don Lucia's son playing for him at Minnesota as well.

Just for the record I disapprove of anyone playing at Minnesota...

With regards to the conspiracy theory de jour, UND's program is far too advanced to fall for that stupid crap. I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that Paul has been outstanding as a USHL Rookie. By coincidence I ran into Paul's family today. I suggested that they not read threads like this for the next 10 years or so.

Just for the record I disapprove of anyone playing at Minnesota...

With regards to the conspiracy theory de jour, UND's program is far too advanced to fall for that stupid crap. I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that Paul has been outstanding as a USHL Rookie. By coincidence I ran into Paul's family today. I suggested that they not read threads like this for the next 10 years or so.

Are you saying these threads don't provide valuable insight? ;)

• Upvote 1

Nice highlight reel on Caggiula. It looks like he currently plays for the Stouffville Spirit of the OJHL

I like his physicality and overall grittiness, but I hate his goal celebrations (sweeping the ice with his glove, jersey popping).

Just like what Kristo did after his shorty last night?

NFL Network did a 2-epsidode show from when they followed Bill Belichick (successful New England Patriots coach) around for an entire year. Bill emphasized being a team, but one thing he stressed was, if you make a play, celebrate, you deserve it. It's very hard to make a great play. I think as long as it's tasteful and you're a team player, it's fine by me. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, whether it's a Sioux, a Gopher, a Badger, etc.

How short of time have you been a fan? I was talking about his kid who played here.

His kid? You were talking about two different people....Morelli - which could refer to two people....Reggie or Matthew (who played for us at the late 80s - earlier 90s) and Izzy Marvin who is David Marvin. Unless you are trying to refer to Lee Marvin, who is David's nephew and son of Jon and Lori. Which person would you like me to refer to?

And how would how long I have been a fan have to do with anything...its called looking it up. For your information, I have been a UND fan since I was a child and I have been a huge hockey fan since I started at UND as a freshman, which was 7 years ago.

Nice highlight reel on Caggiula. It looks like he currently plays for the Stoufville Spirit of the OJHL[/url

I like his physicality and overall grittiness, but I hate his goal celebrations (sweeping the ice with his glove, jersey popping).

Don't worry-the coaches and players will correct any jersey popping urges he might have. :)

• Upvote 1

Wonder why he played 4 games with Des Moines in the USHL with a goal and an assist and went back to his old team? Looks like he is a '94 birthdate, so would assume not a candidate to help with depth the second half this year. Looks like he has some nice skills.

Nope. Kristo doesn't sweep the ice, he does the arm back-fist pump. Highlights here - 3:30 mark

Regardless, it's all personal preference. I like the more subdued celebrations (ie: Nelson - simply raises his stick in the air).

You are right, he didn't sweep the ice. However, I don't see the two celebrations being all that much different. One certainly isn't more over-the-top than the other despite their differences.

I think my point was the fact that sometimes players end up at certain institutions for other reasons than their athletic ability. In the instance of the Parises, I believe the elder was brought in effort to keep the younger in Grand Forks for a longer period of time. But I think everyone and their hunting dogs know that.

Ahh...that makes more sense. Thank you.