SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

• 2 weeks later...

Clint Lewis (NTDP U-17 Team) is looking at a handful of colleges and lists UND among them

Personally, I’m developing on the ice and I think the off-ice training is unbelievable,” he said. “It’s definitely helping me on the ice.”

This improvement has caught the eye of a number of top hockey programs.

“I’ve been getting interest from Minnesota, Minnesota Duluth, North Dakota, Quinnipiac, Cornell, and Western Michigan,” he said.

Although he has plenty of teams interested, Lewis has been most impressed by three schools.

“I’m very interested in the Gophers because they are doing great this year and they’re close to home,” he said. “I also really like Duluth and North Dakota. I think I like those three the best because I have visited them and loved them."

He sounds quite high on the Gophers, but you never know.

name some of those sophs we could be looking @

The Class of 2013 would be this year's junior class, and I'm assuming that's who the poster would be referring to. I haven't seen too many sophomores drawing attention in high school hockey yet, but maybe I'm just missing them. But there are a lot of potential D1 guys in the junior class. So if the poster is referring to the sophomore class (2014), please list some names. I think it's really hard to tell who we are looking at in MN high school hockey unless you're at the games and see a member of our coaching staff there, from there you can usually deduce who they are watching. There's just so many games to watch.

Clint Lewis (NTDP U-17 Team) is looking at a handful of colleges and lists UND among them

He sounds quite high on the Gophers, but you never know.

He's the one that apparently said he wasn't interested in the Gophers this summer because they were going to be playing in an "inferior" conference. It's believed it was a ploy to get the Gophers attention. Or so I've heard.

So I think we need to quite comparing our recruits to the Gophers. You just don't know how a kid is going to be in a couple years down the road. It's not about right now, it's about what you do when you get there. Plus, it's not like Fasching going to the Gophers is a big surprise, and anyone who is surprised, is just out of the loop. There are lots of good players out there, and our coaching staff will find them. We might not have heard very much about them, but they know what they are looking for. Twin Cities kids want to play for the Gophers. We all know that. It's just how it is, and it doesn't matter how bad or good they are.

The Gophers have always had their pick of the MN blue chip recruits. Their success with those blue chip recruits has varied through the last decade or so.

I will agree that their current group of recruits looks great on paper. We'll see how their skill translates to the NCAA game and how long some of them even stay in college.

I have confidence in Hakstol and Co's ability to bring in recruits, both high-end and role players.

Lost another big recuriting battle

Fasching to gophers

our arsenal is pretty empty the next few years compared to the gophers

Really? Some people need to step back from the ledge or just jump in and become a Gopher fan.

The same people have been saying these things since Hakstol took over as head coach. The Fighting Sioux coaching staff's recruiting and talent evaluation has been just fine.The coaching staff can't help when top prospects decide to change their minds, and especially can't help or predict injuries. There's a bigger picture involved in recruiting quality student-athletes to UND and it doesn't end within the 494/694 loop.

• Upvote 1

Lost another big recuriting battle

Fasching to gophers

our arsenal is pretty empty the next few years compared to the gophers

This I tend to disagree with. The Gophers are getting the best Minnesota kids, but that's what they've always done. If you look at our recruiting list, we actually have some very good players coming in for 2012, 2013, and 2014, they're just not Minnesota kids.

No surprise there. I can't believe it took him so long to announce it.

Exactly, if anyone truly expected Fasching to land anywhere but Minnesota they must've known something everyone else didn't. Either way it is a solid pick up for Minnesota none the less.

We just need to land another JToews caliber Canadian or something. :lol:

Really? Some people need to step back from the ledge or just jump in and become a Gopher fan.

The same people have been saying these things since Hakstol took over as head coach. The Fighting Sioux coaching staff's recruiting and talent evaluation has been just fine.The coaching staff can't help when top prospects decide to change their minds, and especially can't help or predict injuries. There's a bigger picture involved in recruiting quality student-athletes to UND and it doesn't end within the 494/694 loop.

That's because no matter what Hakstol and Company do it's never good enough for the Bring Blais back crowd. Listening to these people you would have thought UND is coached by a bunch of no talent hacks that have no clue with what they are doing.

Agreed with some of the posters above. Kids like Fasching are going to go to Minnesota. I mean in this kids case he can play college hockey close to his family, and everyone knows his background with the issues that his siblings have. I really thought there was no way he'd end up at UND, and I'm kind of surprised UND was in the running as long as they were.

Agree with Goon as well. UND's coaches do a tremendous job recruiting hockey players. People are pissed off this year because of some of the injuries and defections have hurt the depth at forward on this years squad. I believe this coaching staff has done a remarkable job in recruiting role players that will be around for three or four years, and have an impact when they are juniors and seniors. Look no further than Frattin-Trupp-Malone. Didn't exactly set the world on fire their first few years at UND, but by the time they were seniors they were one of the best lines in college hockey. The same can be said for this years group. Lot of young faces, but they continue to get better as the games go by.

Remember when it felt like the Sioux were losing a very high-end recruit in Michaelson? Not saying he won't end up being a good college player, but he is struggling to get shots on goal, much less points in the USHL. We lost out on Patrick White a few years back as well, and turns out many gopher fans wish he would have come here. Luke Voltin has been just as impressive as Fasching so far with the development team, and I tend to think that when they get here they tend to get better year after year, as witnessed by the totals of guys like Frattin, Trupp and Malone. Bottom line is both the Sioux and gophers will get high end guys, so it is a matter of how they end up playing out.

• Upvote 1

Remember when it felt like the Sioux were losing a very high-end recruit in Michaelson? Not saying he won't end up being a good college player, but he is struggling to get shots on goal, much less points in the USHL. We lost out on Patrick White a few years back as well, and turns out many gopher fans wish he would have come here. Luke Voltin has been just as impressive as Fasching so far with the development team, and I tend to think that when they get here they tend to get better year after year, as witnessed by the totals of guys like Frattin, Trupp and Malone. Bottom line is both the Sioux and gophers will get high end guys, so it is a matter of how they end up playing out.

That is an awesome point, how many Gophers recruits that were consider top shelf blue chippers that ended up doing squat in college? Many of them...