SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Personally, I think the coaches had an inkling about what direction he was going to go. How could they not, considering the bloodlines? It's probably why they offered him the scholarship in the summer. The Gophers don't usually offer stuff to Minnesota kids too early since they (in my opinion) are arrogant enough to think they can get any Minnesota kid they want. (Which, history shows, is kind of true).

Nothing against Vinni, but if I had to pick between the other names mentioned, he wouldn't be first on my list. There were 2-3 other players on his own team last year that I liked better. He's just a little inconsistent at times IMO.

Siouxforce 19, You have your opinion and I respect that but I was wondering where you heard that the Gophers don't offer scholarships too early to Minnesota kids? In the Letteri case the Gophers offered Vinny a scholarship in the summer around the same time UND did. UND and the Gophers recruit a lot of the same Minnesota kids that are in their junior and senior years of high school and offer them scholarships around the same time. Which players in past history did the Gophers not offer a scholarship to a player too early because they were arrogant enough to think they can get any Minnesota player they wanted.

Gabe Guertler to Minnesota...

Via Twitter

One of top '95 prospects RT @FargoForce: Gabe Guertler has committed to play college hockey for the Minnesota Gophers

Guertler's final three choices were between Minnesota, North Dakota and Denver. He took a visit to Denver last week.

Honestly, I'm amazed that despite all its recent struggles, Minnesota still lands the majority of the top recruits it wants. Meanwhile, UND is racking up MacNaughton Cups, Broadmoor Trophies, Frozen Four appearances and the like, and has come out on the losing end of a few big recruiting battles this summer. It's a bit mindboggling. Although, it sounds like Guertler has ties to the Twin Cities as his dad is from St. Paul.

At this rate I fully expect Fasching and Cammarata to go to UM as well. I would be pleasantly suprised if they didn't.

Gabe Guertler to Minnesota...

Via Twitter

Honestly, I'm amazed that despite all its recent struggles, Minnesota still lands the majority of the top recruits it wants. Meanwhile, UND is racking up MacNaughton Cups, Broadmoor Trophies, Frozen Four appearances and the like, and has come out on the losing end of a few big recruiting battles this summer. It's a bit mindboggling. Although, it sounds like Guertler has ties to the Twin Cities as his dad is from St. Paul.

At this rate I fully expect Fasching and Cammarata to go to UM as well. I would be pleasantly suprised if they didn't.

And then they won't play because they're over-recruiting and they'll leave after a year or two....

You have to wonder at what point do they not have room for all of them.... especially the top end guys they're getting that won't be satisfied with 4th line minutes. Of course, I don't know when all these kids are scheduled to come, but wouldn't Guertler, Letteri, Fasching and Cammarata all be the same year? They must be projecting a lot of early departures.

It would have been nice to have Guertler as well, but as I said before, Minnesota has won a lot of recruiting battles with us lately. The joke about Minnesota has always been that they can get all the top recruits, but they don't necessarily always put good "teams" together. You have to incorporate role players into the mix. and the Sioux always seem to have a better mix than Minnesota in that regard. Minnesota always seems to be intimidated by our style of play, and I don't see that changing, especially when it is so ingrained into the conciousness of their players and their fans. Heck, I would be afraid of playing against the Sioux as well, if I believed everything Minnesota coaches and fans spout all the time.

• Upvote 1

It would have been nice to have Guertler as well, but as I said before, Minnesota has won a lot of recruiting battles with us lately. The joke about Minnesota has always been that they can get all the top recruits, but they don't necessarily always put good "teams" together. You have to incorporate role players into the mix. and the Sioux always seem to have a better mix than Minnesota in that regard. Minnesota always seems to be intimidated by our style of play, and I don't see that changing, especially when it is so ingrained into the conciousness of their players and their fans. Heck, I would be afraid of playing against the Sioux as well, if I believed everything Minnesota coaches and fans spout all the time.

I wouldnt say this because Luke Voltin right now is at a different level compared to any of these other 95 born forwards. His name isnt as big as these other guys but he is the best 95 from Minnesota. Also Grant Potulny tried hard to get Luke Johnson and he could of easily went there. Derek Forbort grew up a gopher fan and Nick Mattson did as well.

But with all these kids who knows for sure how good they will be in 2 or 3 years! The thing I dont understand is why Minnesota keeps getting all these little forwards. Big 10 teams like Michigan and Michigan State are usually pretty big and will push you around on their home ice. But then again Minnesota should be use to that situation!

They got to be close to running out of money for 2013 too!

That said does anyone know if that Hammy guy has made his annual prediction that this year he thinks Minnesota is going to surprise people? He has said that the last couple years and I guess you could say he was right. I was surprised at how bad they were!

I wouldnt say this because Luke Voltin right now is at a different level compared to any of these other 95 born forwards. His name isnt as big as these other guys but he is the best 95 from Minnesota. Also Grant Potulny tried hard to get Luke Johnson and he could of easily went there. Derek Forbort grew up a gopher fan and Nick Mattson did as well.

But with all these kids who knows for sure how good they will be in 2 or 3 years! The thing I dont understand is why Minnesota keeps getting all these little forwards. Big 10 teams like Michigan and Michigan State are usually pretty big and will push you around on their home ice. But then again Minnesota should be use to that situation!

That said does anyone know if that Hammy guy has made his annual prediction that this year he thinks Minnesota is going to surprise people? He has said that the last couple years and I guess you could say he was right. I was surprised at how bad they were!

True, if they get Cammaratta as some suggest, they would have recruits and current players with the following heights, Guertler 5'9, Letteri 5'9, Nanne 5'10, Ryan Reilly 5'7, Connor Reilly 5'10, Rau 5'9, Waring 5'8, Justin Kloos 5'9, and Cammaratta 5'6. Michaelson is 6'1 but hardly a power forward. They would really need Fasching and/or Lucia to add to that group, although some might grow a bit by the time they hit campus. They would be set up for the large ice surface, but playing in small buildings would be interesting. Maybe they are just adapting to the new hits to the head rules, as it will be more inevitable with the smaller forwards going up against bigger players. Maybe they have Fasching and a few other bigger players lined up, but as you said, they can't have too much scholarship money left.

I know we've got some good players too, but just saying that a lot of the recruits from last years and this years gopher teams were players that the Sioux recruited and Minnesota thought were good gets like Hoeffel, Matson, Ness, Sachetti, Larson, Hansen, Budish, Barriball, and not sure on Patrick White and Max Gardiner or Justin Holl. I would guess that Bjugstad was a longshot so not sure on that either. In the end, it comes down to what you do with the guys you wanted. After the fact, would we trade any of our guys we ended up with for Ness, Sachetti, Larson, Hansen or White?

I know we've got some good players too, but just saying that a lot of the recruits from last years and this years gopher teams were players that the Sioux recruited and Minnesota thought were good gets like Hoeffel, Matson, Ness, Sachetti, Larson, Hansen, Budish, Barriball, and not sure on Patrick White and Max Gardiner or Justin Holl. I would guess that Bjugstad was a longshot so not sure on that either. In the end, it comes down to what you do with the guys you wanted. After the fact, would we trade any of our guys we ended up with for Ness, Sachetti, Larson, Hansen or White?

Wow - reading that list I can't tell you how glad I am that we lost those recruiting battles to the goofers. Although, who knows, maybe they'd have actually developed and panned out here at UND. :lol:

True, if they get Cammaratta as some suggest, they would have recruits and current players with the following heights, Guertler 5'9, Letteri 5'9, Nanne 5'10, Ryan Reilly 5'7, Connor Reilly 5'10, Rau 5'9, Waring 5'8, Justin Kloos 5'9, and Cammaratta 5'6. Michaelson is 6'1 but hardly a power forward. They would really need Fasching and/or Lucia to add to that group, although some might grow a bit by the time they hit campus. They would be set up for the large ice surface, but playing in small buildings would be interesting. Maybe they are just adapting to the new hits to the head rules, as it will be more inevitable with the smaller forwards going up against bigger players. Maybe they have Fasching and a few other bigger players lined up, but as you said, they can't have too much scholarship money left.

Small quick forwards has certainly worked for BC lately. Plus the smaller forwards are the ones who typically stay around longer than lets say a Bjugstad type player.

Eddie's kid walked-on for the Mavs.

http://www.mavstoday.com/article/20110928/MAVS/709289718/-1#notes-mavs-suspend-top-scorer

Mavericks add two walk-ons

UNO's roster to open 2011-12 includes walk-ons Dayn Belfour and Zach Mausoff.

Belfour is a 6-foot, 193-pound goalie from Morden, Manitoba. He most recently played in the USHL with both Fargo and Waterloo during the 2009-10 season. That year, he went 8-2-4 with a 3.06 goals-against average and a .895 save percentage. Belfour is the son of Hall of Fame goalie Ed Belfour, who helped Blais win an NCAA championship at North Dakota in 1987 before beginning his 16-year NHL career.

Small quick forwards has certainly worked for BC lately. Plus the smaller forwards are the ones who typically stay around longer than lets say a Bjugstad type player.

True, it's not like your big guys use their size anyways. I love the one where Mark Alt thinks he has Frattin lined up and ends up flying through the air with the greatest of ease