SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Seems to be another good pick up for Minnesota. Unfortunately, we probably won't get to see much of any of these kids with the conference shuffle to occur.

I was reading some comments made elsewhere about the "embarrassment of riches" Minnesota feels it will have in a season or two. I can't help but think back to some of the MN and UND teams of recent past with similar talent that failed to live up to expectations. Winning a national championship is certainly a combination of talent, good coaching, chemistry and a lot of luck mixed in.

You think about the high end talent, the high draft picks, first round draft picks, we've seen come through the WCHA in the past 6-8 seasons, all without picking up a national championship, and it certainly shows there are no guarantees. Parise, Zajac, Stafford, Kessel, Johnson, Okposo, Lee, Oshie, Toews, Turris, Gardiner, Colborne, Finley, Fisher, Wheeler, Chucko, White, O'Brien, Leddy, Schroeder, others I'm sure.

The same things were being said of Ness, Hoeffel, White, etc. Minnesota will be hoping that a few more of this group turn out to fulfill their promise than that group. While I think Minnesota has assembled on paper a lot of talent, I think the Sioux have too. It might just be that Minnesota fans talk up these guys a little more because they are local and have seen them play. I don't think potential wise that Matteau, Jordan Schmaltz, Nick Schmaltz, Keaton Thompson, Luke Johnson, need to take a back seat to any of Minnesota's recruits. All this talent needs to be developed and fill certain roles, and that is where the coaches make their mark.

• Upvote 1

I think most of us are from this region and we here so much more about kids in this region and from Minnesota. Macmillan didnt have a lot of hype and Parks and O'Donnel had no hype. All 3 will progress and get better ever year and leave here with great college careers like a trupp or Malone. Who's to say any of the Minnesota recruits are as good as Jack Rowe? Heck Rowe, Voltin and Johnson could end up being better college players than any of the gopher committs. Only time will tell.

Also an earlier post asked about good sophomores in Minnesota. There is a ton of young talent in the State. People say there is more talent now than there has been in a while. There is a lot of great Juniors and Soph's. Just check the rosters for Roseau, Duluth East, Cloquet, Blaine, Benilde, Edina, Moorhead, Grand Rapids and even East Grand Forks. I think each of them towns has a D1 player or 2 who are not committed yet & are not being recruited yet. Duluth probably has the best junior class in the state and Edina has best sophs. I forgot to mention Guentzels son at Hill. He is probably the best set up guy of any Minnesotan. Be interesting if he goes to Notre Dame. If I was minni I would take him in a heartbeat.

Talking to USA Hockey people the 95 and 96 born age groups from Minnesota are very strong and deep. In Minnesota the 88s were best ever followed by 92s. 90,91, 93 and 94 each had good players but not much depth. There has already been a lot of 95 born Minnesotan committed and there is a lot more to come and I here the 96 age is very similar to 95s. But again I guess only time will tell!

• Upvote 1

I think most of us are from this region and we here so much more about kids in this region and from Minnesota. Macmillan didnt have a lot of hype and Parks and O'Donnel had no hype. All 3 will progress and get better ever year and leave here with great college careers like a trupp or Malone. Who's to say any of the Minnesota recruits are as good as Jack Rowe? Heck Rowe, Voltin and Johnson could end up being better college players than any of the gopher committs. Only time will tell.

Also an earlier post asked about good sophomores in Minnesota. There is a ton of young talent in the State. People say there is more talent now than there has been in a while. There is a lot of great Juniors and Soph's. Just check the rosters for Roseau, Duluth East, Cloquet, Blaine, Benilde, Edina, Moorhead, Grand Rapids and even East Grand Forks. I think each of them towns has a D1 player or 2 who are not committed yet & are not being recruited yet. Duluth probably has the best junior class in the state and Edina has best sophs. I forgot to mention Guentzels son at Hill. He is probably the best set up guy of any Minnesotan. Be interesting if he goes to Notre Dame. If I was minni I would take him in a heartbeat.

Talking to USA Hockey people the 95 and 96 born age groups from Minnesota are very strong and deep. In Minnesota the 88s were best ever followed by 92s. 90,91, 93 and 94 each had good players but not much depth. There has already been a lot of 95 born Minnesotan committed and there is a lot more to come and I here the 96 age is very similar to 95s. But again I guess only time will tell!

I agree with everything you said. In regards to some 93s and 94s in MInny, I think a lot of those guys will have to develop in juniors before hitting college. I thought that last year watching high school hockey in MN as well. It's why you don't hear too much about them. I thought last year's senior class in MInny had quite a few solid players that will play D1, but after a couple years of juniors. But I think everyone here only really cares about the so-called "big-time" recruits, the potential high draft picks, and that's understandable. But let's keep in mind some of the under-the-radar guys too. The difference will be if our recruits stay longer than, for example, Minny's. We had a great team last year because we had under-the-radar recruits like Malone, Frattin, and Trupp among others, stay all four years. While Minny's "big" recruits didn't stay more than a couple years. It's why they had struggled. You win with your seniors. We have a few big time recruits coming in, and we'll mix in a few under-the-radar guys we're not as familiar with, and have some solid recruiting classes. Like I said, I think if some more of us had seen some of our recruits play, we'd feel pretty good about our future.

coaches son?

As already stated, he is the coaches son. His dad was very upset with North Dakota because of his perception that the coaches pushed Forbort to the US development team instead of returning to Duluth East. Don't know if he would let that get in the way of his kid having a good college experience or not, but thought it was worth throwing out there to ponder.

I would be willing to bet that he goes the MJ route.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I too think he will go MJ....but, I thought there was an article from a year or two back saying his dad was hoping he'd play college and that it was a good chance he would go that route. His dad played college (and NBA) basketball, so maybe he can convince him of the upside there is to college.

Just a thought...

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I too think he will go MJ....but, I thought there was an article from a year or two back saying his dad was hoping he'd play college and that it was a good chance he would go that route. His dad played college (and NBA) basketball, so maybe he can convince him of the upside there is to college.

Just a thought...

We could surely bet a Bud Light Lime on it if you want. :)

Just a thought...

Didn't his brother go to DU for a season? I wonder if that experience will be a factor in any decision. I thought a kid by the name of J.T. Miller was for sure coming to UND but I guess we saw what happened there so anything is possible.

The same things were being said of Ness, Hoeffel, White, etc. Minnesota will be hoping that a few more of this group turn out to fulfill their promise than that group. While I think Minnesota has assembled on paper a lot of talent, I think the Sioux have too. It might just be that Minnesota fans talk up these guys a little more because they are local and have seen them play. I don't think potential wise that Matteau, Jordan Schmaltz, Nick Schmaltz, Keaton Thompson, Luke Johnson, need to take a back seat to any of Minnesota's recruits. All this talent needs to be developed and fill certain roles, and that is where the coaches make their mark.

Guertler, Cammaratta, and Fasching all committing in a short time frame is as good a recruiting run as I've ever seen the Gophers have. But you're exactly right, what matters is how long they stick around and how much they develop.

• Upvote 1

The gophers are starting to remind me of the Wisconsin Badgers. We all see how well that works out.

Lucia is pulling an Eaves and getting commitments from anyone that can skate. ;)

Pretty soon he'll be able to have 6 full lines of forwards, with a minimum of 12 players a night healthy scratches. :)

• Upvote 2

Didn't his brother go to DU for a season? I wonder if that experience will be a factor in any decision. I thought a kid by the name of J.T. Miller was for sure coming to UND but I guess we saw what happened there so anything is possible.

His brother left DU after a semester, so I"m not sure his experience was real positive.

Lucia is pulling an Eaves and getting commitments from anyone that can skate. ;)

Pretty soon he'll be able to have 6 full lines of forwards, with a minimum of 12 players a night healthy scratches. :)

No kidding. Kids are either going to get pushed back, or not happy with playing time because they'll be on the 4th line. Lucia must be expecting some early departures. Considering most of the recruits they've gotten lately are the same age, and pretty much all forwards.