SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Read this about Ryan Norman on GPL.

Does anyone know anything about Ryan Norman? He seems to be the next big thing at Shattuck...at least in terms of how dominant he has been as a youngster.

He's the son of former Hill-Murray and NoDak player Todd Norman. He has grown up here (I've seen both Roseville and Maplewood listed as residence) but has played little youth hockey in the area. He came to prominence playing on a dominant youth team in St. Louis coached by former NHL defenseman Al MacInnis. MacInnis' son Ryan and a kid named Blake Clarke, who is the youngest player in the USHL this year with Fargo were a couple of the other stand outs on this team.

Read this about Ryan Norman on GPL.

Does anyone know anything about Ryan Norman? He seems to be the next big thing at Shattuck...at least in terms of how dominant he has been as a youngster.

He's the son of former Hill-Murray and NoDak player Todd Norman. He has grown up here (I've seen both Roseville and Maplewood listed as residence) but has played little youth hockey in the area. He came to prominence playing on a dominant youth team in St. Louis coached by former NHL defenseman Al MacInnis. MacInnis' son Ryan and a kid named Blake Clarke, who is the youngest player in the USHL this year with Fargo were a couple of the other stand outs on this team.

Don't know anything about the son, but as I remember, his dad didn't have a lot of success here, and left after 1 or 2 years.

Don't know anything about the son, but as I remember, his dad didn't have a lot of success here, and left after 1 or 2 years.

Todd was plagued with knee injuries in his time at UND. He did show promise on the ice when he was healthy, though.

Norman is a good player but right now he is not close to Nick Schmaltzs level. There is a Shattuck kid named Marcel Godbout way better than Norman too.

How good is Nick Schmaltz supposed to be? It is hard to get a read on him just looking at stats because he is not playing in a Junior league and he is still too young for the NTDP. Is a legitimate high end prospect? Like first or second round NHL draft material, or a later round, 4 year college guy?

How good is Nick Schmaltz supposed to be? It is hard to get a read on him just looking at stats because he is not playing in a Junior league and he is still too young for the NTDP. Is a legitimate high end prospect? Like first or second round NHL draft material, or a later round, 4 year college guy?

I still think it's too early to tell with Nick, because he's a 1996 born and the 93s were just drafted this summer. I know he did really well at the Select Camps. But we'll know more about his draft stock once he hits his draft year.

This is from the HFBoards

"Schmaltz is going to be a tough player to judge. Still very young, but clearly undersized, he needs to bulk up bigtime over the next two years. But again, I get to see the CYA, Mission, and Team Illinois very often, and Schmaltz was simply electrifying at times. He is in a Shane McColgan level imo....undersized by insanely gifted."

But so was this...

Originally Posted by
FSH2003
viewpost.gif

Schmaltz just committed to UND

means nothing.

see Adam Erne and Anthony De Angelo for why.

I know the Schmaltz family, great people and firm believers in college. That is why Jordan hasnt bolted to the OHL as of yet, mom would go ape ****.

But as I said with Nick, from the years I have talked with him, his eyes light up more talking about the OHl then NCAA. Not saying he will go to the OHl, but if he does get drafted high enough, I think he goes to the OHL. Just my opinion, we shall see.

This is from the HFBoards

"Schmaltz is going to be a tough player to judge. Still very young, but clearly undersized, he needs to bulk up bigtime over the next two years. But again, I get to see the CYA, Mission, and Team Illinois very often, and Schmaltz was simply electrifying at times. He is in a Shane McColgan level imo....undersized by insanely gifted."

But so was this...

Originally Posted by
FSH2003
viewpost.gif

Schmaltz just committed to UND

means nothing.

see Adam Erne and Anthony De Angelo for why.

I know the Schmaltz family, great people and firm believers in college. That is why Jordan hasnt bolted to the OHL as of yet, mom would go ape ****.

But as I said with Nick, from the years I have talked with him, his eyes light up more talking about the OHl then NCAA. Not saying he will go to the OHl, but if he does get drafted high enough, I think he goes to the OHL. Just my opinion, we shall see.

If he indeed feels like that, why in the world would he make a verbal comittment at such a young age. I would think if he had any leaning to the OHL, he would wait a few years and see how he feels then. It's not like he was getting a ton of pressure from the Sioux.

I agree can't see him not playing there with his siblings situations in all. Be nice to land him

I don't think his sibling situation is what will make him a Gopher. I mean, he did go to Ann Arbor and all. It's the fact that he's been bred a Gopher fan since birth probably that will make him a Gopher. Same challenges of recruiting any kid in the Twin Cities. Gopher brainwash. It's tough.

I'm not trying to "zing" gothberg. (He's good) but would that really make you say, "gee better not go to und cause I will always be on the bench?"

I believe dell was supposed to be on the bench and I think (check my stats) he holds the school record for wins in a season.

I'm not trying to "zing" gothberg. (He's good) but would that really make you say, "gee better not go to und cause I will always be on the bench?"

I believe dell was supposed to be on the bench and I think (check my stats) he holds the school record for wins in a season.

We don't assign roles to players before they come to campus here at North Dakota. You have to earn playing time here. No one ever said Dell was going to be on the bench. He came in to push Eids for playing time and low and behold, he has.

I realize it's a somewhat foreign concept down in Gopherland. (in my opinion)

• Upvote 1

We don't assign roles to players before they come to campus here at North Dakota. You have to earn playing time here. No one ever said Dell was going to be on the bench. He came in to push Eids for playing time and low and behold, he has.

I realize it's a somewhat foreign concept down in Gopherland. (in my opinion)

UND isn't entitlement hockey, those players earn their spot on the team.