SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Brad reports today that the Sioux got a commitment from Luke Voltin, forward who played at Hill-Murray before heading to the USDT. Also scary to read that Matteau is thinking about playing in the Quebec Junior League....Would hate to put him into the JT Miller what could have been group.....

Brad reports today that the Sioux got a commitment from Luke Voltin, forward who played at Hill-Murray before heading to the USDT. Also scary to read that Matteau is thinking about playing in the Quebec Junior League....Would hate to put him into the JT Miller what could have been group.....

This is a couple days old, but good news nonetheless :D

I wonder if since Matteau gave Colten St Clair a bad concussion last year if there is any bad blood. If there is, well, that would be the good part if he decided not to come to UND. That said, I hope there isn't bad blood and that he decides to come. But if not, on to the next best player available.

UND is in the running for Gabe Guertler

Via Fargo Force beat writer

http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=876

Sounds like a high-end recruit. Hopefully Zane Gothberg will bring him up to Grand Forks a couple times to watch the Sioux. Hopefully John Marks will fill him in what it means to play for North Dakota, and how that makes you part of the Fighting Sioux family for life, even if we wouldn't be the Fighting Sioux at that point.

http://fargoforce.com/blog/gabe-guertler-fall-classic-player-spotlight/

Sounds like a high-end recruit. Hopefully Zane Gothberg will bring him up to Grand Forks a couple times to watch the Sioux. Hopefully John Marks will fill him in what it means to play for North Dakota, and how that makes you part of the Fighting Sioux family for life, even if we wouldn't be the Fighting Sioux at that point.

http://fargoforce.com/blog/gabe-guertler-fall-classic-player-spotlight/

I never realized how big Fargo getting a USHL team would be for UND. Every player in the USHL Including the USNDTP players has an easy 80 mile trip to do an informal or official visit to UND. In addition to Zane, and Coach Marks, Charlie Pelnik is also there. Blake Clark is another big young kid in Fargo, I believe. If you want one more connection, I believe that Gabe Guertler also played on Team Illinois with Jack Rowe.

I other semi-related news, I am still waiting to see where Hudson Fasching and Seth Jones end up. I mean seriously Seth, you are a 6'4" defender, there is only one place for you... :D

I never realized how big Fargo getting a USHL team would be for UND. Every player in the USHL Including the USNDTP players has an easy 80 mile trip to do an informal or official visit to UND. In addition to Zane, and Coach Marks, Charlie Pelnik is also there. Blake Clark is another big young kid in Fargo, I believe. If you want one more connection, I believe that Gabe Guertler also played on Team Illinois with Jack Rowe.

I other semi-related news, I am still waiting to see where Hudson Fasching and Seth Jones end up. I mean seriously Seth, you are a 6'4" defender, there is only one place for you... :D

Pelnik is playing at Shattuck this year, not Fargo.

Cross post...

Saw this posted on GPL and thought it was interesting.

Source - Charley Walters (Pioneer Press)

OK first caveat, Walters is a stark raving idiot... But I hope he is talking about Hudson Fasching. I also assume that they are not talking about Voltin as that ship has sailed...

Here are the possibilities.

Goaltenders

Hunter Miska 5-10 150 7/7/95 L North Branch, Minn. North Branch High School

Defensemen

44 Clint Lewis 6-2 180 1/12/95 L Burnsville, Minn. Shattuck-St. Mary's U16

Forwards

55 Hudson Fasching 6-3 190 7/28/95 R Burnsville, Minn. Apple Valley High School

Cross post...

What's it say? (My computer says the web-site is unavailable)

OK first caveat, Walters is a stark raving idiot... But I hope he is talking about Hudson Fasching. I also assume that they are not talking about Voltin as that ship has sailed...

Here are the possibilities.

Goaltenders

Hunter Miska 5-10 150 7/7/95 L North Branch, Minn. North Branch High School

Defensemen

44 Clint Lewis 6-2 180 1/12/95 L Burnsville, Minn. Shattuck-St. Mary's U16

Forwards

55 Hudson Fasching 6-3 190 7/28/95 R Burnsville, Minn. Apple Valley High School

Yeah if I were a gambler I would say Fasching to the gophs, but I hope not...

I would guess without any inside info that he chooses between UND and Minny. I would be willing to bet on Minny but him leaving for Ann Arbor this year may give UND an outside chance.

Is it just me or is it that we are seeing quite a few recent recruits coming down to UND, Minny and UMD as before it was always Wisconsin instead of UMD? Think a new building and a national championship help out recruiting much?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm sure they would have liked to have him, but I don't think they'll dwell on it. After all, UND has lost numerous recruits to Minnesota in the last 3-4 years, and the Sioux seem to have come out all right. It's what you do with them when they get here that counts.

Yeah, I'm sure they would have liked to have him, but I don't think they'll dwell on it. After all, UND has lost numerous recruits to Minnesota in the last 3-4 years, and the Sioux seem to have come out all right. It's what you do with them when they get here that counts.

I agree with your statement, I just think the coaches were alittle more disappointed in not getting Letteri than Siouxforce 19 was considering they offered him a scholorship.

I'm sure the coaches are "disappointed" since the kid has had a scholorship offer since the summer.

Personally, I think the coaches had an inkling about what direction he was going to go. How could they not, considering the bloodlines? It's probably why they offered him the scholarship in the summer. The Gophers don't usually offer stuff to Minnesota kids too early since they (in my opinion) are arrogant enough to think they can get any Minnesota kid they want. (Which, history shows, is kind of true).

Nothing against Vinni, but if I had to pick between the other names mentioned, he wouldn't be first on my list. There were 2-3 other players on his own team last year that I liked better. He's just a little inconsistent at times IMO.