SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Luke Johnson had a goal in a 6-3 USA under 17 team loss. Wonder if he has any offers yet. Does the fact that St. Cloud State is in the old WCHA have any impact if he might play for them with his dad as an assistant? Of course a lot can happen in a couple years, with him and his dad.

Luke Johnson had a goal in a 6-3 USA under 17 team loss. Wonder if he has any offers yet. Does the fact that St. Cloud State is in the old WCHA have any impact if he might play for them with his dad as an assistant? Of course a lot can happen in a couple years, with him and his dad.

Does anyone know where Luke plans on playing this year? I believe Lincoln has his rights correct?

Luke is playing Lincoln this season...

Playing for Uncle Chad....good call for Luke. He could play junior hockey for at least four years before joining a college team. I don't think he'll use up all of his junior hockey eligibility, probably be an 18 year old Freshman playing somewhere.

He's been offered by UND. Hope they can land him.

Dad played for the Sioux.....Uncle Chad played for the Sioux....family in Grand Forks.....only makes sense right? :blush:

Hopefully. The one wildcard is that dad now is an assistant coach with St. Cloud. As someone said earlier, a lot can happen in 3-4 years. And I'm also not sure if you'd want to play for a team that your dad coached, that might be a delicate situation. But just something to think about.

Hopefully. The one wildcard is that dad now is an assistant coach with St. Cloud. As someone said earlier, a lot can happen in 3-4 years. And I'm also not sure if you'd want to play for a team that your dad coached, that might be a delicate situation. But just something to think about.

That would be a great conversation to hear. If you are Steve Johnson, what do you tell your kid who walks up and asks you if he should play for your alma mater or the team that you are currently on the coaching staff of? I mean you would think he would want his son to play at a place where he would see plenty of ice time and develop into a player who has the opportunity to play at the next level, while also fitting in to the team. As a Sioux fan I of course think thats the Sioux more than it is SCSU, but of course SCSU is a good place to play your college hockey as well.

The Johnsons will have a big decision to make, I guess the same could be said for the Lucia family with their son. I wonder if it would affect a recruit's decision on whether he would join your program. For example, "Your own son didn't want to play for you, why should I play for you"?.....

Hasn't Steve Johnson applied for and not gotten a coaching job at UND at least a couple of times? Perhaps that factors in as well...

Yes, I believe this is true. He applied to coach the women I believe a couple years back. Not sure if he has ever applied to be an assistant with the men. Someone with knowledge of the situation want to spread some light?

Yes, I believe this is true. He applied to coach the women I believe a couple years back. Not sure if he has ever applied to be an assistant with the men. Someone with knowledge of the situation want to spread some light?

From everything I've read and/or heard, Steve Johnson has applied for the Women's job and the assistant men's job and obviously hasn't gotten any of them and is quite bitter about it. Therefore everything I've seen points to his son Luke going elsewhere. Hopefully the info is incorrect and maybe his son wants to play for the Sioux but I don't know if dad will be the one pushing him towards UND. It sounds like it is going to be a tough sell.

From everything I've read and/or heard, Steve Johnson has applied for the Women's job and the assistant men's job and obviously hasn't gotten any of them and is quite bitter about it. Therefore everything I've seen points to his son Luke going elsewhere. Hopefully the info is incorrect and maybe his son wants to play for the Sioux but I don't know if dad will be the one pushing him towards UND. It sounds like it is going to be a tough sell.

Heard some of the rumors, but who knows what is actually the truth. The reason he wanted to take both of those jobs mentioned is because he wanted to be back in the Fighting Sioux camp because of the great experiences he had with the Sioux when he was in college. How do you deny your own flesh and blood those same experiences because you feel slighted. If Luke feels like that on his own, then so be it, but if Steve steered him away from UND because of that, then that to me would be kind of selfish. Again, that might not be the case at all, because bits and pieces of information can sometimes get blown out of proportion, and sometimes people think that a person should feel that way, and they actually might not.

That would be a great conversation to hear. If you are Steve Johnson, what do you tell your kid who walks up and asks you if he should play for your alma mater or the team that you are currently on the coaching staff of? I mean you would think he would want his son to play at a place where he would see plenty of ice time and develop into a player who has the opportunity to play at the next level, while also fitting in to the team. As a Sioux fan I of course think thats the Sioux more than it is SCSU, but of course SCSU is a good place to play your college hockey as well.

The Johnsons will have a big decision to make, I guess the same could be said for the Lucia family with their son. I wonder if it would affect a recruit's decision on whether he would join your program. For example, "Your own son didn't want to play for you, why should I play for you"?.....

I've always wondered how coaches can walk into the house of a coach of a different team (even rival) and recruit their kid. Gotta be awkward. And you're giving your recruiting techniques to an opponent.

Steve is obviously a successful coach and mentor, and was a great player for the Sioux. When Blais departed and the applicant pool was being assembled, I recall comments suggesting some applicants did not qualify because UND required some coaches to have degrees, or even advanced degrees. Not sure if that is accurate, or just speculation.

Heard some of the rumors, but who knows what is actually the truth. The reason he wanted to take both of those jobs mentioned is because he wanted to be back in the Fighting Sioux camp because of the great experiences he had with the Sioux when he was in college. How do you deny your own flesh and blood those same experiences because you feel slighted. If Luke feels like that on his own, then so be it, but if Steve steered him away from UND because of that, then that to me would be kind of selfish. Again, that might not be the case at all, because bits and pieces of information can sometimes get blown out of proportion, and sometimes people think that a person should feel that way, and they actually might not.

I agree it would be selfish but the rumors (whether true or not) that I've heard have been that it's a longshot he goes to UND. Like I stated before, I hope they're inaccurate and he chooses the Sioux but I could see him going to UNO and playing for Blais.

I agree it would be selfish but the rumors (whether true or not) that I've heard have been that it's a longshot he goes to UND. Like I stated before, I hope they're inaccurate and he chooses the Sioux but I could see him going to UNO and playing for Blais.

I have heard the same thing so I wouldn't count on him coming to UND.

That would make sense. Playing his junior hockey in Lincoln, then chugging to Omaha. Then again though, by the time Luke is ready to play college hockey will Blais still be coaching? Thats two to three years away, and you never know with Blais.

I have heard the same thing so I wouldn't count on him coming to UND.

If indeed the Sioux offered him, there must have at least been some conversation with the coaches and the family. It would be nice to land him, partly because he is a local kid, but at this point his progess over the last few years hasn't branded him an elite talent. So if rumors are correct, unless he takes off in college like his dad, the Sioux could certainly attract players that would rival his talent anyway, so it's not like it would hurt the program. On the other hand, to miss out on playing for a team that is perenially a national contender and a chance for a National Championship only comes along once in a lifetime ... and if Cary Eades ever gets the itch to take on a head coaching challenge, it might not be best to burn your bridges, because let's face it, while most of us are out of the loop on the facts of these situations, the coaches probably know exactly why they lose out on players. Hopefully the Sioux can land a local boy that would most likely be a very good four-year player.

I've heard on this site in numerous spots that the reason steve did not get any of those jobs is because UND has a requirement that all coaches must have a degree and he doesn't and that is a big reason as to why he never got one of those positions. if I am wrong someone can correct me.

If indeed the Sioux offered him, there must have at least been some conversation with the coaches and the family. It would be nice to land him, partly because he is a local kid, but at this point his progess over the last few years hasn't branded him an elite talent. So if rumors are correct, unless he takes off in college like his dad, the Sioux could certainly attract players that would rival his talent anyway, so it's not like it would hurt the program. On the other hand, to miss out on playing for a team that is perenially a national contender and a chance for a National Championship only comes along once in a lifetime ... and if Cary Eades ever gets the itch to take on a head coaching challenge, it might not be best to burn your bridges, because let's face it, while most of us are out of the loop on the facts of these situations, the coaches probably know exactly why they lose out on players. Hopefully the Sioux can land a local boy that would most likely be a very good four-year player.

I have heard from people that know Steve that has said in so many words that his kid isn't going to UND... I don't know if it has changed recently. I wouldn't count on him being a Fighting Sioux.

I have heard from people that know Steve that has said in so many words that his kid isn't going to UND... I don't know if it has changed recently. I wouldn't count on him being a Fighting Sioux.

Not saying he will or he won't but we have seen plenty of occasions on this board that "know" somebody that have expressed confidence that such and such would happen then didn't. Steve might have said "in so many words" that he was very unhappy with UND or something of the sort, and then someone who "knows" Steve extrapolates that to mean that his kid would never play for the Sioux. Or, he might have actually expressed that his kid would never play for the Sioux to someone. That is the basis of a rumor, when it isn't actually heard from the horses mouth. I guess in the next year or so, we'll probably find out one way or another.

A lot can happen over time and circumstances can change in a lot of ways.

Where will Steve Johnson, or Chad Johnson, or Luke Johnson be in two or three years?

If you can tell me that, please tell me what the stock market will do today also. ;)