SiouxSports.com Forum

Maryland Heights Regional -- UND vs Mich & MSU vs WMU

brianvf

11 hours ago, Blackheart said:

According to the selection show we're a real heavy, in your face team.  Can't wait to see that!

:D I'm not a doomer, I like our current team and believe we can pull it off.

If I had to make on critique, it's that we are not a heavy in your face team. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

We were once upon a time this season - still trying to figure what happened to that team.  The regression of our defense is stunning - especially with the addition of a new defensive coach.  At one point we were very difficult to play against.   

In part I think in part it's a trade-off for Kunz recent success. I've been pumping his tires for awhile, always thought he had more to show offensively. His net front-front presence has been great and he took Johannes spot in the top of the lineup and ran with it. 

But he plays a different kind of game than he did further down the depth chart, and we've definitely missed some of that heavy play. 

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sick and done with this heavy talk.....speed kills....go balls out and play aggressive and play to win bubs

Heavy play or speed - either way our intensity and relentlessness  has almost disappeared.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Whose doing our broadcasting?

guessing cohen and matvik?

Per Buccigross on selection show yesterday; for certain, Ben Clymer is doing color, which is unfortunate.

As for PxP, think I heard Clay Matvick is the guy, but am not certain on him.  If so, he does a fine job in my opinion.  Hopefully we will hear more of him than Clymer.

• Upvote 1

It will be Roxy Berstein and Ben Clymer in Maryland Heights.

Springfield: Clay Matvick & Sean Richlin

Sioux Falls: Jason Ross Jr & Paul Caponigri

Providence: John Buccigross & Colby Cohen

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What are we even doing?  This is the Maryland Heights Refional site for this weekend. 2500 seats. Can the NCAA put an end to this already?  Pathetic. 

IMG_5751.jpeg

I have to imagine it'll be pretty green in there. Nice for our team. If they are going to play in MO, it helps to have fans. I'm sure there will be some Michigan fans, not sure how well Western or State travel for hockey. 

It would be really nice to own the state of Michigan by Sunday.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

ESPN needs to figure out a way to get Ben Holden back on the mic for the NCAA tournament games.  Put him and Starman in a region together.  

Or wait, just put Leah Hextall on so we can just mute the game.  

He was calling the CCHA Championship game. 

2 hours ago, Bleedn Green said:

The road to a Natty this year looks to be the most difficult of possibilities.  Start with Michigan then either State or Western to get out of the regional. That only gets you to potentially face BC then either BU or Denver in a final.   I LIKE IT!!!   Legendary stuff.

If they win it, I’d say it’s the most convincing championship team ever. If.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Was the abandoned warehouse booked for this weekend? Is that why we are playing here?

Fargo Angels rink was booked as was the Winter Show barn in Valley City. ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

ESPN needs to figure out a way to get Ben Holden back on the mic for the NCAA tournament games.  Put him and Starman in a region together.  

Or wait, just put Leah Hextall on so we can just mute the game.  

will leah be doing any ncaa d1 games?

If the team shows zero energy and plays terrible and loses this coming Friday, I think the coaching staff needs to look at what might be causing these late-season slumps. It has happened more than once. You cannot win 26 games (some of them Top 10 teams) if you are "not that good". Something is causing this, but I have no idea what it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If the team shows zero energy and plays terrible and loses this coming Friday, I think the coaching staff needs to look at what might be causing these late-season slumps. It has happened more than once. You cannot win 26 games (some of them Top 10 teams) if you are "not that good". Something is causing this, but I have no idea what it is.

Exactly !!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Let's channel our 2016 team for a big W over the Wolverine....

difference from 2016 to  today...i felt that 2016 team was the number one team in the country pretty much 75% of the year...not so much this year

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You've said this a couple times, but maybe we can define it? What defines a "late-season slump" for you? Two months? One month? let's take a look further:

23-24: Went 4-3 in March, swept in Omaha a week after winning the Penrose. I can see this as being a slump for a team with 26 wins. Still can right the ship -- Verdict: Slump
22-23: Played their best hockey down the stretch, IMO. 5-2-2 in their last 9 games after being swept by DU. Missed tourney. Verdict: No slump
21-22: 10-4 in Feb and March, but lost in Frozen Faceoff semis, and lost first round of NCAAs to Notre Dame in OT. Verdict: No slump
20-21: 9-2 in Feb and March. Lost 5OT game to UMD. Verdict: No slump
19-20: 12-4-2 in the second half, won the Penrose, won last game after being 6-2-1 in Feb, Mar. World shut down. Verdict: No slump
18-19: Bad all year
17-18: Mediocre year, 5-5-2 in Feb, Mar. Won their last game, oddly enough, against UMD in the Frozen Faceoff third place game. Verdict: Slump
16-17: February they weren't good going 2-4, but they won 5 straight to win in March before losing in Frozen Faceoff semis and having an OT loss, which I don't think was a loss, to BU in the NCAAs. Verdict: No slump
15-16: Ended pretty good. Verdict: No slump

So, 2 slump ending to seasons in 10. Thoughts?

Personally, I think there are plenty of normal explanations.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1