SiouxSports.com Forum

Maryland Heights Regional -- UND vs Mich & MSU vs WMU

brianvf

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I thought we couldn't question anything about Ralph Engelstad here?

I believe the rules are no politics or personal attacks, nothing about Ralph in there.  And Ralph did just fine at wealth creation and giving back to his alma mater, he didn't need to be a good goalie or win titles.

14 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

One common denominator is Berry , can he not motivate the troops, I know he is not playing but he puts a game plan together and get all the guys pulling in the same direction and that hasn’t happened much under his watch in the post season for sure. 

I think it's nonsense to think the players aren't motivated. It's not a magic potion. You don't just drink something, hear a coach say a magic word, watch a video of something inspiring and boom, go win a national championship. Some times one team just plays better than the other.

• Upvote 3

Maybe Berry doesn’t put enough emphasis  into this big games , staying even keel and his team shows up flat at times , (Nashville , Las Vegas any Nchc games  at the Xcel. Not sure because I’m not in the locker room but in his 8 year run that’s is MO like it or not. Not saying you yell and scream but man try something different. He coached with Hakstol so he saw what it took to play well at the end of the year. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think it's nonsense to think the players aren't motivated. It's not a magic potion. You don't just drink something, hear a coach say a magic word, watch a video of something inspiring and boom, go win a national championship. Some times one team just plays better than the other.

Did the boys look motivated Friday night ?

Checklist for UND to win this weekend:

1) Bubs needs to yell and scream so the players are so scared of him that it motivates them somehow

2) Just do it. Go out and just win. Go. Get out there. Win the game because I said so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Maybe Berry doesn’t put enough emphasis  into this big games , staying even keel and his team shows up flat at times , (Nashville , Las Vegas any Nchc games  at the Xcel. Not sure because I’m not in the locker room but in his 8 year run that’s is MO like it or not. Not saying you yell and scream but man try something different. He coached with Hakstol so he saw what it took to play well at the end of the year. 

Like what?

53 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think they came out really well on Friday, yes. And then what happened?? *GASP* The OTHER TEAM played better. :0:0

Denver managed to find a way to corral the ‘72 Soviets, er, I mean, UNO. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Yes I know you think everything is perfect and we are leadgies because we expect more from them , I don’t expect them to win every game but at least show up. 

At least they didn't say they wanted revenge like they said they did against CC and then get blown out both nights.  I will say that if you got swept by a team you have never been swept by before, I would think you would have a little desire to get back at them, especially when an advantageous tournament location is on the line.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Yes I know you think everything is perfect and we are leadgies because we expect more from them , I don’t expect them to win every game but at least show up. 

Nope. No, don't try and spin this. This is my entire point. All this belly aching out here, but no solutions. 

We're talking about pixie dust, magic spells, etc.... motivation. Our boys play at UND. They understand our history. They understand our standards. They absolutely want to win. Sometimes hockey happens and the other team plays better. It really is that simple.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Denver managed to find a way to corral the ‘72 Soviets, er, I mean, UNO. 

Hahaha the '72 Soviets.

I think UNO matches up well with us. We didn't play well enough. It wasn't because Bubs didn't have them mentally ready to win the game. We just didn't get it done. That's hockey.

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Nope. No, don't try and spin this. This is my entire point. All this belly aching out here, but no solutions. 

We're talking about pixie dust, magic spells, etc.... motivation. Our boys play at UND. They understand our history. They understand our standards. They absolutely want to win. Sometimes hockey happens and the other team plays better. It really is that simple.

There's a major section of The Ledge occupied exclusively by straw man construction workers who are also skilled at making false premises.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 108498 said:

When was the last year UND advanced past the first round of the National tournament? I feel there has been a long drought since UND won a single game at regionals. 

Thankyou 1972. It has been a few years, but not as long as I thought. I do think UND need to get back to winning at nationals though. I am hoping for at least 1 win this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not spinning anything and I don’t get paid 500,000 a year to fix it but Berry does, funny how a team with all these advantages and culture struggles the same way every year but what changes and what stays the same ? Hint , players and the head coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nd jg said:

I am sure I will catch some crap for this, but

Um Pride, Did you not see the other teams play that were locks, with the exception of BU who got stomped by BC, there should be fire every game. This is a terrible precedent to set for any person, business or team.  We are UND, we expect more, even if we were out of the NCAA tournament and not making it, I would expect the team to come out and be full throttle till the final whistle.  Just doesn't make sense.

Yes, play for a little pride.  I can remember playing Minnesota in a 3rd place Final Five game (2005) and the boys absolutely wanted the W.  I mean you’re playing the Gofers, who wouldn’t want to stomp them?  In the Star Trib they quoted a Gofer player(s), said it was hard to get up for a third place game; they had already clinched their spot in the NCAA's.  Sioux win 4-2; Spirko leaves Harrington of Minny standing still as he goes around him to score.
Now fast forward a few weeks and who do we meet in the Frozen Four?  Same Gofers, this time there's a lot more on the line.  Now Minny gonna flip the switch?  Sorry Gofers, you lose again.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

C'mon now, its a simple formula .... recruit grindaz (you want the right players, not the best ones), bag skate the team, threaten to replace a guy and flip an equipment table in the locker room. You'll motivate them to win a championship or maybe even the Olympics! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

C'mon now, its a simple formula .... recruit grindaz (you want the right players, not the best ones), bag skate the team, threaten to replace a guy and flip an equipment table in the locker room. You'll motivate them to win a championship or maybe even the Olympics! 

No chippahs?

7 minutes ago, Blackheart said:
Yes, play for a little pride.  I can remember playing Minnesota in a 3rd place Final Five game (2005) and the boys absolutely wanted the W.  I mean you’re playing the Gofers, who wouldn’t want to stomp them?  In the Star Trib they quoted a Gofer player(s), said it was hard to get up for a third place game; they had already clinched their spot in the NCAA's.  Sioux win 4-2; Spirko leaves Harrington of Minny standing still as he goes around him to score.
Now fast forward a few weeks and who do we meet in the Frozen Four?  Same Gofers, this time there's a lot more on the line.  Now Minny gonna flip the switch?  Sorry Gofers, you lose again.

I call that the tap out game. UND would dump the puck into a corner and hammer the Gopher D and take the puck over and over and as the game went on UND would dump the puck in the corner and then go get it as the Gopher D tapped out and offered zero resitance and quit even trying to possess the puck.

• Upvote 1