SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO and UND Frozen Face-off Semis

cowboys5xsbs

36 minutes ago, mikejm said:

Nasty drop in Pairwise: down to #5

The bend over and grab your ankles scenario would be UND vs UNO in Sioux Falls. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

That'd be a doozy.
UND just gave the NCAA an open invite to send them East, so I'm guessing that's what'll happen.

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I did a quick search, found the last Fire Hak thread from 2015 (like a month before it was announced he took the Flyers coaching job).
A lot of the same posters, for sure.  And yes, you were a participant in that thread.  ;) 
No worries though, as I said...it is just how things are around here.  :) 

I like how you referenced I "participated".  I did participate twice in that thread before it was locked.  And in neither post did I ever reference Firing Hak.  In one I defended the fact that it's still a long season and the other was some thoughtful data about our string of championships against the law of averages.  Over the umpteen years I've been on here I can't say with 100% certainty that I didn't mention the good ol' #FireHak once in a fit of Frozen Four rage, but I don't recall ever doing it and have never believed firing Hak was ever the right choice like I truly believe that replacing Berry is.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm ok with going anywhere as the #2 and Michigan St as the #1. The bigger issue is who's the #3???

• Upvote 1

Boy, I sure didn't want to miss out on this thread!  Just got home from the game with my son and we had a good time.  Cosetta's for lunch, $20 parking, a Snuffy's malt at the X...who could ask for more. Oh, and we ran into the MafiaMan and MafiaBoys in the concourse.  What are the odds?:)

Sioux looked great out of the gate, but could not match intensity after that first goal.  I don't think Omaha is better than UND, but they sure have us figured out.  Aggressive forecheck by UNO forcing Sioux into some questionable decisions and/or giveaways in our zone did not help.  Omaha just seemed like they wanted it more; they were quicker on pucks and seemed to outhustle/outwork UND for stretches.  Hobey was ok in net; I'm thinking he wants that one backhander back though.

There's no reason why UND shouldn't have been balls to the wall from the puck drop; they are playing for a 1 seed in the NCAA's.  Sioux looked good at points but this is not the same team that held DU to 4 goals on the weekend.  Not sure what it's going to take but B-rad and the coaches need to get the boys back on track and quickly.  Otherwise, they'll be watching the Frozen Four from home instead of playing in it.  Go Sioux!

Edit:  I'm going to go back and read this thread but I'm guessing there's a few more 'Ledgies' than usual after today's game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I like how you referenced I "participated".  I did participate twice in that thread before it was locked.  And in neither post did I ever reference Firing Hak.  In one I defended the fact that it's still a long season and the other was some thoughtful data about our string of championships against the law of averages.  Over the umpteen years I've been on here I can't say with 100% certainty that I didn't mention the good ol' #FireHak once in a fit of Frozen Four rage, but I don't recall ever doing it and have never believed firing Hak was ever the right choice like I truly believe that replacing Berry is.

I was on the post hoping they'd fire Hak. 

I have no regrets. The team COULD NOT win it all with Hak. Not sure why but they just couldn't get over the hump. I don't give a shat about final fours. Give me the title.

Today sucked. Team was not ready to play hockey. Sucked

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If they hadn't beaten us last month, they wouldn't have the same PWR level, but they'd still be in a position to win tomorrow to make the tourney regardless.
Hoping that they can prove you wrong next weekend.

Omaha with one loss in regulation in their last 16 NCHC games - they are for real.  Whatever the opposite of bottom feeder is ...

The only thing I like about Gabinet is he has his guys playing hockey in the style of Dean Blais.  They do it well, and nobody has solved them since January (Denver clobbered them twice).  

On top of all that we gave them two soft goals (their first followed a blind backhand pass behind our own net that they intercepted and scored, and the trickler that Hobie really really wants back).   

Most troubling for me is that we don't show signs of making the changes needed to solve UNO style.  Can't tell if that's on the players or on the coaches, but I'm in the book of hoping we get sent East.  Eastern hockey is much more possession based, cautious on attacking, and we've won a lot of those games this year.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm ok with going anywhere as the #2 and Michigan St as the #1. The bigger issue is who's the #3???

It's going to be Michigan or Quinnipiac as it lines up now. Not a great draw to say the least! 

4 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I like how you referenced I "participated". 

That was literally your word from the previous quote.  Participate.  ;)

Regarding replacing Berry, I would hope the AD would start to look elsewhere if this lack of postseason success streak continues.
That said, I highly doubt that would happen anytime soon.  Especially after he just led the team to the Penrose.
I'm not sure how long of a playoff streak it would take before a change would happen.
I am sure that for many posters on here, a change will be demanded long before it actually happens.

5 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Aggressive forecheck by UNO forcing Sioux into some questionable decisions and/or giveaways in our zone did not help.

Played us like Western Michigan a few weeks ago. The difference is Omaha has guys who can bury the puck. I expect we'll see the same style from anybody we match up with next weekend.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Omaha with one loss in regulation in their last 16 NCNC games - they are for real.  Whatever the opposite of bottom feeder is ...

Most troubling for me is that we don't show signs of making the changes needed to solve UNO style.  Can't tell if that's on the players or on the coaches, but I'm in the book of hoping we get sent East.  Eastern hockey is much more possession based, cautious on attacking, and we've won a lot of those games this year.  

+1 to all this

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think we’ll end up in Missouri with Michigan State. The 3 seed would probably be a big ten team, Michigan or Wisconsin. Denver and Minnesota go to Sioux Falls.

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That was literally your word from the previous quote.  Participate.  ;)

Regarding replacing Berry, I would hope the AD would start to look elsewhere if this lack of postseason success streak continues.
That said, I highly doubt that would happen anytime soon.  Especially after he just led the team to the Penrose.
I'm not sure how long of a playoff streak it would take before a change would happen.
I am sure that for many posters on here, a change will be demanded long before it actually happens.

Yeah, I did say participate, so my apologies on how I worded it.  What my brain was trying to say and how I wrote it were kind of different.  I guess what I was implying was the way you "phrased" it...like I participated in a manner that agreed with the subject matter.  I don't take any of these conversations personal and actually have an honest, fun time participating back with people such as yourself when the replies are thoughtful like yours.

The Penroses are fine and all...would rather win one than not...but they just don't excite the fan base.  During the Hak era, you knew you could count on buying a ticket to the Final Five, a regional, or Frozen Four and know UND would show up.  The excitement was always buzzing in March and April, even in Hak's worst years...though we all know the Frozen Fours were all heartbreak sadly.  Now, fewer and fewer have any excitement to go to these events in fear of yet another lackluster postseason performance....to the detriment of not only the UND Hockey program, but the NCHC and NCAA in a small trickle-down effect.  The Ralph has had some pretty blah attendance at times too.

No doubt it sucks that somehow we never got over the hurdle and won that 8th title under Hak's leadership, but I think it's just one of those weird statistics that will mar him for no other reason than it was just dumb [bad] luck.  But, there was impressive talent that Hak would bring in.  The style of play we had was fun to watch.  His teams had character and you could define the traits of our team.  Now, it's a hodgepodge of mediocre transfer portal kids, some okay talent that I wouldn't consider blue chip in all but a few cases, and the hockey world doesn't look at us with the same respect it used to.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

Yeah, I did say participate, so my apologies on how I worded it.  What my brain was trying to say and how I wrote it were kind of different.  I guess what I was implying was the way you "phrased" it...like I participated in a manner that agreed with the subject matter.  I don't take any of these conversations personal and actually have an honest, fun time participating back with people such as yourself when the replies are thoughtful like yours.

The Penroses are fine and all...would rather win one than not...but they just don't excite the fan base.  During the Hak era, you knew you could count on buying a ticket to the Final Five, a regional, or Frozen Four and get UND's best.  The excitement was always buzzing in March and April, even in Hak's worst years.  Now, fewer and fewer have any excitement to go to these events in fear of yet another lackluster postseason performance....to the detriment of not only the UND Hockey program, but the NCHC and NCAA in a small trickle-down effect.  The Ralph has had some pretty blah attendance at times too.

No doubt it sucks that somehow we never got over the hurdle and won that 8th title under Hak's leadership, but I think it's just one of those weird statistics that will mar him for no other reason than it was just dumb [bad] luck.  But, there was impressive talent that Hak would bring in.  The style of play we had was fun to watch.  His teams had character and you could define the traits of our team.  Now, it's a hodgepodge of mediocre transfer portal kids, some okay talent that I wouldn't consider blue chip in all but a few cases, and the hockey world doesn't look at us with the same respect it used to.

Just now, gfhockey said:
2 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

The Penroses are fine and all...would rather win one than not...but they just don't excite the fan base.  During the Hak era, you knew you could count on buying a ticket to the Final Five, a regional, or Frozen Four and get UND's best.  The excitement was always buzzing in March and April, even in Hak's worst years.  Now, fewer and fewer have any excitement to go to these events in fear of yet another lackluster postseason performance....to the detriment of not only the UND Hockey program, but the NCHC and NCAA in a small trickle-down effect.  The Ralph has had some pretty blah attendance at times too.

Expand  

Well said brother if you make it across town to augies I’ll buy a one

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Focus, urgency, confidence, a seething hatred of losing...

all seem to be missing.

what are we missing..............high end talent and speed.

watch the Michigan MSU game tomorrow night.

30 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

This board eats their own…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Watched the first 10 min before I had somewhere to be and thought we'd dominate. D'oh. Was Hobie a liability?

It was a team effort, probably wanted at least one or two back for sure. Tough to put it on him when everyone was subpar including the coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1