SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO and UND Frozen Face-off Semis

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I wonder what is going on with Ludvig.  Don't think he would have been the difference today, but everything seems off there.  

Yeah, I totally agree with you on this.  There's more to this story than just an illness IMHO.

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Watched the first 10 min before I had somewhere to be and thought we'd dominate. D'oh. Was Hobie a liability?

One softy…team D was the glaring issue from my angle. Also, a ton of passengers tonight.

• Upvote 2

Just now, leadgieking said:

Chance to secure a #1 seed and they piss down their pants.

Had multiple chances in the last few weeks to take care of this, too. Failed every time. 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I don’t have the radio on because I’m at the game or was at the game now I’m walking to my Uber to go to Augies, but I can only imagine about how he talks about the culture and how it stood up against the other teams culture and how we played hard rough, and a few bounces didn’t go away

Hey, are you buying me a drink at Augies tonight?  I can't afford VIP though.;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

One softy…team D was the glaring issue from my angle. Also, a ton of passengers tonight.

Yup.  Livanavage scores a big pp goal, then loses his guy for the dagger.

Team defense at times this year has been abysmal.  Not going to make a run without a cleanup in that area.  But is it too late? 

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

How can this be when basically a home regional is on the line?  It baffles me, how we can take one of Omaha’s best players in Berg, yet he was MIA against his old team.  Is Gabinet getting his players to play harder, because they sure have lost a lot of talent the last few years.

• Like 1

I always like to think our recruiting class is outstanding; however, are we being out recruited? Granted we had to replace an entire defensive crew, but how does someone like Omaha, and I don't mean disrespect, out talent us. 

1 minute ago, neoflex said:

I always like to think our recruiting class is outstanding; however, are we being out recruited? Granted we had to replace an entire defensive crew, but how does someone like Omaha, and I don't mean disrespect, out talent us. 

How did we used to out talent Minnesota?  We didn’t!  We just worked harder and were relentless.  Omaha was relentless!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

How can this be when basically a home regional is on the line?  It baffles me, how we can take one of Omaha’s best players in Berg, yet he was MIA against his old team.  Is Gabinet getting his players to play harder, because they sure have lost a lot of talent the last few years.

The gaber, berg line was terrible tonight. Bubs was playing the 4th line equally with them at ES.

• Upvote 1

I think it was going to go this way with either team we faced this weekend.  Both UNO and CC playa similar game.  We would have been better off against DU or Clown. Time to rip the band aid off, just send us east and roll the dice.  

If you can set aside the looking like hell part, I do prefer only playing one game this weekend, to maybe be just a touch fresher next weekend.  But they have to use the energy for it to matter.

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The gaber, berg line was terrible tonight. Bubs was playing the 4th line equally with them at ES.

The style of play was definitely downgraded by Berry tonight. No sliding & blocking shots which is definitely a part of our game. Don't blame him for that is we don't want players hurt.

But we lost the Face-Off battle and you're right, just out hustled all night. I'm hoping he's taking a page out of Sandlin's playoff book, which is to prepare only for the the big dance. 

And can anyone shed light on the goalie situation. 

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

The Sioux/UND road advantage died when #8 was hung.   Sioux fans packing buildings doesn't mean anything like it used to.  Don't believe me look at the last 8 years.

31 minutes ago, neoflex said:

They didn’t out talent us. They out worked us. Say what you want, but they have 4 balanced lines who deliver effort on every shift. If they avoid mistakes, that is hard to keep at bay.

Ludvig or Hobie next weekend?  Berry's comments on the goalie situation both for tonight and next weekend:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/hobie-hedquist-gets-start-in-frozen-faceoff-but-ludvig-persson-may-return-for-regionals

Hedquist was 5-0 going into the semifinal and was coming off a sweep of Miami in the quarterfinals last weekend in Grand Forks.

“There were a number of things going into it,” UND coach Brad Berry said. “Ludvig (Persson) was just coming back from his situation. He missed the first day or two of practice (this week), and then he got in toward the midweek. He's starting to look good here."

“Hobie was just coming off of a sweep of Miami, playing very well. At North Dakota here, there's a lot of things that go on, whether you're a grad, or whether you're a senior, or whether you're a freshman. You get opportunities if you earn it. Hobie earned it.”

“I thought he played well early in the game,” Berry said after UND’s 6-3 loss. “He made some huge saves for us here. Hobie wasn’t the problem tonight. It was us not playing well in front of him.”

Berry did allude to the thought of starting Persson over Hedquist in the Frozen Faceoff title game had UND beaten Omaha on Friday.

“I think if we would have won the game tonight,” Berry said, “there probably would have been an opportunity for maybe Ludvig to go back in tomorrow, or at least think about it.”

“Right now, the most important thing is making sure that we get back and we start playing as a team, again, like we did a couple of weeks ago here,” Berry said. “I know it's disappointing right now, but we’ve come too far to hang our heads. We got to make sure that we got to be positive, and we got to be accountable to each other and work on the things that we need to to have a chance to win in the national tournament.

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

So we roll into the NCAA’s with a goalie who hasn’t played in 3 weeks or a freshman whose hot streak ended in disaster tonight. 

Awesome.  

#hissituation

22 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

The Sioux/UND road advantage died when #8 was hung.   Sioux fans packing buildings doesn't mean anything like it used to.  Don't believe me look at the last 8 years.

Probably a good thing that next year is the last year at the X, because people are probably worn out with the one and done that has become the standard. You watch, once it moves to the high seed’s campus, we will no longer win league titles.  We don’t seem to be taking advantage of opportunity for home ice type environments.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So we roll into the NCAA’s with a goalie who hasn’t played in 3 weeks or a freshman whose hot streak ended in disaster tonight. 

Awesome.  

No mimosas I'm guessing?  The NCHC and city of St. Paul thank you!

• Like 1