SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO and UND Frozen Face-off Semis

cowboys5xsbs

15 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Did Gaber play today ?

He was the “bumper” on the PP!  Smart move taking him off the wing where he snipes like our last Hobey winner for the last several years. Inexplicable coaching move. He was a non factor in the bumper spot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dden3 said:

He was the “bumper” on the PP!  Smart move taking him off the wing where he snipes like our last Hobey winner for the last several years. Inexplicable coaching move. He was a non factor in the bumper spot. 

Gaber is so incredibly one dimensional. He’s a good player, but you can’t ask him to win you games. He needs a lot of help. A poor man’s Ryan Duncan.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Those throwing Hedquist under the bus for yesterday need look no further than our team defense the last half of this year.

They miss many assignments.  Weak side is wide open when they puck watch.  I don't get how a team that has high end skating ability has trouble defending at times.  All they need to do is win races and battles and all is well.  Skill is already there.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

No matter who’s out there our team D is below avg. It’s looking like some normal regression.

You may be right, but if the D was subpar to begin with the weaknesses should have manifested earlier than January, you'd think. They were hanging with BU, MN & WI 5 months ago, now they can't even hang their own clothes. Which leads me to think that they may lack the overall talent or character required to elevate their game when the playoffs approach & all teams are bringing their A game. Throw in most of the forwards who look like they're attending a funeral & this is the result.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Persson will probably have to stand on his head & steal the first game of the regionals; & if the guys can somehow squeeze out a W that first day, I think it would jumpstart their confidence in a major way. In the meantime, I feel it's incumbent on the coaching staff to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the team & the individual players (who are slacking off) to discern what the actual problem is. Have some self-respect, guys.

2 hours ago, franchise said:

It's fine that you don't like him. Not much of a fan myself. It just seems like you wait for a loss to jump on and remind everyone you don't like him.

Why should one not complain about the slow demise of our UND hockey program?  Why do we all have to 'sit down and shut up' like the average fan at The Ralph these days?  Keep accepting mediocrity and all you'll get is mediocrity.

46 minutes ago, dden3 said:

The "bumper" is the most overrated position in hockey.  Pretty much useless.  They just stand and watch the puck getting passed around.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Gaber is so incredibly one dimensional. He’s a good player, but you can’t ask him to win you games. He needs a lot of help. A poor man’s Ryan Duncan.

The same goes for Berg. He does not demonstrate a 200 foot game in my opinion. Much has been made about the reason he left Omaha being little or no power playtime. I think it was more than that. I think he was being asked to do things that he did not wish to do. He saw an open door and he took it. He’s a good goalscorer don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t have considered him “Omaha’s best player”. I would put them in the same category as Jimmy Glynn a role-player to be sure, but not an All-Star.

• Upvote 1

Who is surprised by this loss?

I said a couple weeks ago I felt UND would be a 2 seed

some called me negative, I called it based on past results from this coach , just had a feeling

if Michigan state looses today can a 1 seed still be had?

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

Who is surprised by this loss?

I said a couple weeks ago I felt UND would be a 2 seed

some called me negative, I called it based on past results from this coach , just had a feeling

if Michigan state looses today can a 1 seed still be had?

Don't think so.

1 hour ago, Clark17 said:

They miss many assignments.  Weak side is wide open when they puck watch.  I don't get how a team that has high end skating ability has trouble defending at times.  All they need to do is win races and battles and all is well.  Skill is already there.

Watch good teams in the d zone and a common denominator is good weakside wing presence with a shot blocking attitude.

Not saying I'm not disappointed with some of our outings in the last month (CC, Omaha), but think how greedy of a fan base we are when we're #5 national PWR and all we can talk about is how this team is underperforming.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

The same goes for Berg. He does not demonstrate a 200 foot game in my opinion. Much has been made about the reason he left Omaha being little or no power playtime. I think it was more than that. I think he was being asked to do things that he did not wish to do. He saw an open door and he took it. He’s a good goalscorer don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t have considered him “Omaha’s best player”. I would put them in the same category as Jimmy Glynn a role-player to be sure, but not an All-Star.

He has been recognized by the NCHC for his defensive play, but I don’t disagree with you. He’s a Sioux fan, home grown, was needed for this team to be successful. Berg wasn’t pushed out though. I just don’t see that.

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Not saying I'm not disappointed with some of our outings in the last month (CC, Omaha), but think how greedy of a fan base we are when we're #5 national PWR and all we can talk about is how this team is underperforming.

It’s just been lather , rinse, repeat for the last 7 years , Berry just can’t motivate his players in the post season. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Berg was literally a finalist for Defensive Forward of the Year, an award voted on by the coaches in the league. And the coaches aren’t allowed to vote for their own players. 
So either all those coaches are wrong, or you see something that they don’t. ;)

31 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Agreed. It’s certainly not looking awesome for that 1st round game, let alone them making a run. But the doom and gloom is always high around here after any loss. 

• Upvote 1

I had a ski trip the last weekend against Omaha and couldn't watch much last night, but I'm rooting for them to emerge from Sioux Falls, especially if the Gophers get them in the first round. Good for Gabinet and their program finding the success they've had in the second half. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Why take his one dimension away from him on the power play. 

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

The "bumper" is the most overrated position in hockey.  Pretty much useless.  They just stand and watch the puck getting passed around.

TJ Oshie is the only guy I’ve seen be effective at that position and I’m not sure he wouldn’t be better elsewhere on the PP either. 

Morning hangover review after taking several deep breaths: it was an ugly loss, but in many ways it was set up that way. Putting gaber in the bumper position, backup goalie in, a lot of play from the third and fourth lines, and our defense handcuffed by not blocking shots. 

Taking that in perspective, I'm hoping we see what are team is capable of next week. Just hope we see incredible efforts and hustle & if we do that we will do fine.

2 hours ago, dden3 said:

Did he play bumper at all this year?  Seems odd that they would move him out of his “office” on the power play for this one game.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, neoflex said:

Morning hangover review after taking several deep breaths: it was an ugly loss, but in many ways it was set up that way. Putting gaber in the bumper position, backup goalie in, a lot of play from the third and fourth lines, and our defense handcuffed by not blocking shots. 

Taking that in perspective, I'm hoping we see what are team is capable of next week. Just hope we see incredible efforts and hustle & if we do that we will do fine.

As frustrating as this was maybe you are on to something.   Let's try some different things but don't put ourselves in a position that hurts us next week.  If we win fantastic if not it won't be the end of the world.

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Except we prefer to skate the puck around the zone on the outside.  Easy to defend, Defense just needs to shadow till the next player takes over.  We don't move the puck fast enough to matter, we always hold onto it.