SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO and UND Frozen Face-off Semis

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has reached the Frozen Faceoff nine times. Their semifinal record is 2-7. Let that soak in.

That actually shocking. Good enough to get there…but it’s a quick exit. NCAAs should be interesting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Where's @Goon or Schloss to dig deep into this? 

Sure it’s weird. But Pehrsson hasn’t necessarily been a stone wall this season. Look at his numbers. He’s had moments, sure. Him playing last night makes zero difference. Even Bubs knows that.

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

If Berry didn’t win in 2016 would he still be the head coach ? His teams do not finish well at all #Berryswoon. 

1 NCAA tournament win since 2016…against AIC.  If it’s 1 and done again in 2024…yikes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has reached the Frozen Faceoff nine times. Their semifinal record is 2-7. Let that soak in.

Technically 8 times as in the Covid pod at the Ralph all teams were there.   Their record outside of the Ralph has gone down the toilet on all levels the last 8 years.

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Technically 8 times as in the Covid pod at the Ralph all teams were there.   Their record outside of the Ralph has gone down the toilet on all levels the last 8 years.

Is it mental toughness, poor prep, leadership ?

Historically, the 3 biggest fan bases in college hockey are North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  When all three of them were in the same conference and the conference tournament was easily accessible to all 3 (MSP), plus sprinkle in other Minnesota schools' fans, you had a recipe for success.  When the conferences split those teams into the Big Ten and NCHC, both conferences tried (unsuccessfully) to replicate the WCHA Final Five with big venue, neutral site conference tournaments.  Geography was definitely part of the problem for both conferences, with fewer teams spread over a larger area.  I also think Wisconsin having down years right after the 2014 split, and UND having some down years after the national championship, contributed to the demise of both conference tournaments.  The Big Ten saw the writing on the wall first, with the NCHC still counting on UND to make the event successful.  But now, having watched Big Ten home site playoff games, I have no doubt this is the right direction for the NCHC.  Someone posted earlier about buying out the Xcel contract for 2025, and that's a viable option, I'm in favor.

Another thing about 2024, in particular.  Until last night, UND's path to the National Championship went through St. Paul, Sioux Falls, and back to St. Paul.  I personally know fans that decided not to go to the Frozen Faceoff, saving for the potential Frozen Four appearance at the same venue.  I think a lot people were also excited for the Sioux Falls regional, which also probably contributed to last night's dismal attendance.  Not everyone can go to a hockey tournament 3 out of 4 weekends, as much as we'd maybe like to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxweet said:

They look disinterested in these settings.  Frozen Faceoff, destination games and regionals.

"Disinterested" is a good work to describe it.  The team looked like they were going through the motions for a lot of the game, not playing to control their playoff destiny.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Not the goalie pretending to be orange cones. With all the new D men we looked good in the first half once the coaching philosophy took over we looked like last years D core. 

I don’t think it’s coaching philosophy. I’m guessing played with an edge early in the season. But like all teams…the season gets a lot tougher as the season goes along. Players need to match that intensity as things get tough. Maybe we got the wrong players. 

13 hours ago, Big A HG said:

What do I actually complain about?  The fact that I don't like Berry and the low bar he's set for the program and ??

It's fine that you don't like him. Not much of a fan myself. It just seems like you wait for a loss to jump on and remind everyone you don't like him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I don’t think it’s coaching philosophy. I’m guessing played with an edge early in the season. But like all teams…the season gets a lot tougher as the season goes along. Players need to match that intensity as things get tough. Maybe we got the wrong players. 

If it’s not coaching why have we been so poor defensively with changes in the roster. 

12 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

If it’s not coaching why have we been so poor defensively with changes in the roster. 

Could be the fact that the NCHC is reaching an equilibrium, ie the other teams are getting better both defensively and to a lesser degree offensively. Starman had it right, our bottom 4 would be playing for top 4 in most other conferences.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

No matter who’s out there our team D is below avg. It’s looking like some normal regression.

• Upvote 1