SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Playoffs

Wilbur

2 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

If Zmolek is back for the home stretch I like our chances.

He sat by us on Saturday for a bit before he was forced to move seats for a 4th time. Still on crutches. Might be a bit yet before he’s back. 

34 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I bet we see at least one conference tourney upset which puts the magic PWR number to 13. 
With CC/UNO/WMU at 11/12/13, that makes things really tight especially if Prov (14) or UMass (15) move up (they actually play each other next in the HEA quarters).
It may very well be win or go home for most of those teams...would be interesting to look at options if any of those NCHC teams win or lose in 3 games to see if that still keeps them above the cut line.

losing in 3 should be ok.  Remember that other than the conference champion, everyone is going to take a loss at some point, so not everyone can move up.  Plus the strength of the NCHC and those bubble teams playing each other will help out there respective strength of schedule.  If Western can sweep SCSU, they will also flip there comparison by evening up head to head and they would probably be solidly in the tournament.  CC also flips their comparison with Omaha if they win the series, even in 3 games.  St. Cloud would need a lot of help to get an at large, sweeping Western would keep the door open, but it's not very wide.

58 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He sat by us on Saturday for a bit before he was forced to move seats for a 4th time. Still on crutches. Might be a bit yet before he’s back. 

This is not great to hear.  I am having doubt he comes back.  

17 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

This is not great to hear.  I am having doubt he comes back.  

Yeah I’m not sure either. Im hoping he can come back for the NCAAs but I don’t know how long he is on crutches for. 

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Why move seats?

5 minutes ago, burd said:

Why move seats?

Baxter Arena apparently doesn’t set aside seats for the visiting team’s players who are not playing to sit in. Everytime they sat somewhere some late arriving UNO fans would show up to their seats and they would have to move. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah I’m not sure either. Im hoping he can come back for the NCAAs but I don’t know how long he is on crutches for. 

I talked to Bennett on Friday night at the game. He was hoping to be playing next weekend. I told him that would be cool. It certainly doesn't look like he would be skating anytime soon. good kid!

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Baxter Arena apparently doesn’t set aside seats for the visiting team’s players who are not playing to sit in. Everytime they sat somewhere some late arriving UNO fans would show up to their seats and they would have to move. 

OK, makes sense

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

If that’s the case then I would allow just as many reserved seats at the Ralph for their players. 

• Upvote 2

What are we cheering for in the Omaha / CC series? Anything, but CC in 3? Top priority being UND being in the Sioux Falls regional. That can only not happen (being realistic) if Omaha finishes 13th or 14th (w/ an outside change of the 14th being picked off by an auto-bid). Might sound odd, but after last weekend, my ideal situation would be UND as the #1 seed and Omaha as the #3 seed in Sioux Falls. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

What are we cheering for in the Omaha / CC series? Anything, but CC in 3? Top priority being UND being in the Sioux Falls regional. That can only not happen (being realistic) if Omaha finishes 13th or 14th (w/ an outside change of the 14th being picked off by an auto-bid). Might sound odd, but after last weekend, my ideal situation would be UND as the #1 seed and Omaha as the #3 seed in Sioux Falls. 

I think at this point we are cheering for Omaha so they are the 3 seed.  I don't see them dropping to 15 or below.  Otherwise we will need a couple teams below 15 winning there tournaments.

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I think at this point we are cheering for Omaha so they are the 3 seed.  I don't see them dropping to 15 or below.  Otherwise we will need a couple teams below 15 winning there tournaments.

I would tend to agree, although, when I originally sent, I didn't fully look into the ECAC situation. If Quinnipiac doesn't win the tournament, it goes to an auto-bid. Let's put that one at 50/50. There are 3 locks for HE, but 4 teams in that 14-19 spot. I'd put that at 30% that an auto-bid goes to one of those teams. Best guess is 14-16 are auto-bids. Omaha just can't finish 13. 

I just ran the customizer on CNH to see what happens if Omaha loses in 2 games and it dropped them to 15.  Winning 2 games put them at 10.  But I didn't run any other scenarios, so they could be altered by other results.  Too bad we didn't put them away when we could.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:58 PM, rochsioux said:

If that’s the case then I would allow just as many reserved seats at the Ralph for their players. 

Back in the day the scratches would typically be in the press box not the seats

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Omaha better figure out a way to win in OT or I don't see them winning the series.  Three goal lead on the road turning into a loss would hurt. 

Two teams that got a good chunk of their NCHC wins in OT.
Granted, that was 3x3.

Should be entertaining.