SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Playoffs

Wilbur

1 hour ago, AJS said:

No way to know. 

This year versus Omaha.

• Persson: 11 Goals on 60 shots (0-3)
  • Hedquist: 1 Goal on 22 shots (1-0)

I'm probably the minority, but I actually feel more comfortable when Hedquist is in net. It's at least worth a deeper look. I'm sure it'll be Persson and hopefully we'll see that guy that can steal games for the stretch. I also hope that Hedquist is getting a fair look, based on play and it's not just pre-determined that Persson gets the net. 

If Persson is questionable at all for Friday, I would go with Hedquist.

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

I know they avoid inter conference first round matchups when possible however is it when a conference has 5 in the tournament does that go out the window? 

I heard on this site that 5 teams in the tourney an exception can be made.  However, if you look at the non-UND hockey thread, I did find a bracket that includes 5 NCHC teams (based on current pairwise), and still avoids first round matchups.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

UND v Omaha early semifinal, Denver v SCSU late semifinal.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/game-times-set-for-nchc-frozen-faceoff

even more reason to go big10/ccha model...these games should be staggered on a saturday.....1 or2 pm and then 6 or 7pm

4pm on a friday.....out of town neutral site....

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I heard on this site that 5 teams in the tourney an exception can be made.  However, if you look at the non-UND hockey thread, I did find a bracket that includes 5 NCHC teams (based on current pairwise), and still avoids first round matchups.

They still avoid if possible. In 2008 the WCHA had 6 teams in the tournament. UND was a 1 seed and we had 3 2 seeds and 2 3 seeds.

Denver played Wisconsin in first round and then Kozek ended their season to send us to Denver.

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

They still avoid if possible. In 2008 the WCHA had 6 teams in the tournament. UND was a 1 seed and we had 3 2 seeds and 2 3 seeds.

Denver played Wisconsin in first round and then Kozek ended their season to send us to Denver.

They rode the 'stache to Denver!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

even more reason to go big10/ccha model...these games should be staggered on a saturday.....1 or2 pm and then 6 or 7pm

4pm on a friday.....out of town neutral site....

Problem with the Big10/CCHA Model and the future NCHC model is there is too much time off before the national tournament if you don't make it to the championship game.  Wisconsin is going to get 3 weeks without playing a game.  Also College hockey should have at least 2 games every weekend.  With the Semi-Finals and Finals only being a single game we miss out on a lot of hockey.

13 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Problem with the Big10/CCHA Model and the future NCHC model is there is too much time off before the national tournament if you don't make it to the championship game.  Wisconsin is going to get 3 weeks without playing a game.  Also College hockey should have at least 2 games every weekend.  With the Semi-Finals and Finals only being a single game we miss out on a lot of hockey.

agreed somewhat ...but in the past we've had people saying there isn't enough "rest" if you played all 3 of the first round and semi's and final?

fbs fb teams are off for more than 3 weeks if they play in bowl games and or CFP?

one thing that would be fun from the past.......instead of best of 3 in the first round to eliminate 1 game and one more day for teams to travel........2 games....total goals!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agreed somewhat ...but in the past we've had people saying there isn't enough "rest" if you played all 3 of the first round and semi's and final?

fbs fb teams are off for more than 3 weeks if they play in bowl games and or CFP?

one thing that would be fun from the past.......instead of best of 3 in the first round to eliminate 1 game and one more day for teams to travel........2 games....total goals!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not just go to a model similar like they had for Covid.   Penrose  winner gets to host the whole tournament over 4-5 days??

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Why not just go to a model similar like they had for Covid.   Penrose  winner gets to host the whole tournament over 4-5 days??

spread it out amongst the top half of the nchc....u do well in reg season you get a couple more home games (or more)

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

UND over UNO: Put the Mavs out of their misery.

Won't put them out of their misery.  They'll be right there in Sioux Falls the next weekend, perhaps meeting us in the final.