SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

14 hours ago, AJS said:

Old fashioned way for FCS will absolutely still work if you can retain & develop.

Point is, you can’t really retain that well now. South Dakota State has done pretty good, though, and they’ve seen results because of it.  So, I guess, it’s just relative; top FCS programs just have to retain better than everyone else. 

Prior to this season I think the portal has been a net positive when looking at what we lost to what came in. We brought in Hoosman....and Elioder was an all conference guy while at South Dakota I believe. Some other decent guys as well. 

All FCS schools are going to lose some guys, heck even NDSU lost a lot of them the one off season.  There is a lot of competition for good players, it's not as easy as saying hey we need 2 top notch OL and DL through the portal and Bingo you get them.  Although we did bring in a couple nice DL through portal last year. This year hasn't been great so far though totally agree. Defense needs a lot of help. The coaches have a lot of work ahead of them.

It's certainly easier for a school like SDSU coming off their first championship coming into this year when the players know you are like going to win another one. Pretty good incentive to stay put for most players. 

Winning playoff games and being relevant is probably one of the biggest things. After beating NDSU it felt like we were finally heading that way.....but obviously fell flat. Highly doubtful Bubba can take us any further than we've gotten. 

I do agree that next year kind of feels like it will be a lost season. 

40 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Hilarious and not surprising not even a tweet from Izzo or Herder about Schuster going to Michigan St. I don’t think either have said a word about Schmidt coaching in tonight’s game either. Thought they were supposed to be big FCS advocates? Lol 

Good for Tommy!  Loved watching him play; one of my favorite players.   Best of luck to him at MSU.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Good for Tommy!  Loved watching him play; one of my favorite players.   Best of luck to him at MSU.

I'll never forget when he came in against Sam Houston when he was a true freshman. It was early in the year and he was 4th string but when the first two went down they gave him the nod. Being a true freshman with limited practice snaps under his belt he came in and was cool as a cucumber and helped lead us to victory. 

Will be interesting to see how he does at MSU and I'll be rooting for him. He may only be a backup but if he does need to come in you know damn well he will be cool and collected. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Hilarious and not surprising not even a tweet from Izzo or Herder about Schuster going to Michigan St. I don’t think either have said a word about Schmidt coaching in tonight’s game either. Thought they were supposed to be big FCS advocates? Lol 

Izzo in the forum had an article about it yesterday.  5 or 6 paragraphs if I remember correctly.  In the transfer portal news.  

Just noticed that Youngstown is bringing in 14 new transfers mid-semester. I followed this pretty closely this off-season, up to this point, it's been a disaster for UND. It's worth noting. If the defense is not fixed next year (3rd year in a row), through youth / development / portal, it's 100% on the Coaching staff. It's so frustrating watching programs you hope are peer programs (NDSU / SDSU / Montana) all riding this incredible momentum. On the flip side, it feels like this program is about to fall off a cliff. Everyone is seeing it coming, but my perception is this coaching staff cannot fix this. Over their heads. 

Let it play out, but if it plays out how it seems it will, it won't be a surprise. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kab said:

So fbs transfer players to fcs programs must not have been any nil or playing time or why transfer 

Normally they outkicked their coverage at FBS.  FBS schools miss on players, too, doesn't mean they are going to be a contributor at FCS.  I would guess it's 50/50 on what you are getting with FBS drop downs.  Obviously a Power 5 is more likely to just be buried behinds tons of talent and is more attractive.

It takes more than scholarship to attract players and right now we don’t have NIL program in place and second we just don’t have national ability to get media presence out nationally to attract players here. Not a lot of players want to come live here with the weather we have and just another FCS program with little national press so we are program fighting to just to get the even come and visit. Most of our transfers have either come from the area or have played in the conference all of the Dakota schools I believe have had this problem and we had least of media exposure.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Just noticed that Youngstown is bringing in 14 new transfers mid-semester. I followed this pretty closely this off-season, up to this point, it's been a disaster for UND. It's worth noting. If the defense is not fixed next year (3rd year in a row), through youth / development / portal, it's 100% on the Coaching staff. It's so frustrating watching programs you hope are peer programs (NDSU / SDSU / Montana) all riding this incredible momentum. On the flip side, it feels like this program is about to fall off a cliff. Everyone is seeing it coming, but my perception is this coaching staff cannot fix this. Over their heads. 

Let it play out, but if it plays out how it seems it will, it won't be a surprise. 

It sure feels that way right now.  What a hard crash down this has been from the feeling after October 14th.  

• Upvote 2