SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hawks @ UMD Bulldogs - Start of NCHC Play

brianvf

UND kicks off their NCHC season by traveling to UMD.
The main downside to that, of course, is listening to the horrible UMD homer announcers.  Best to mute and pair up with TH.

UMD is 3-3-3 to start the season.
Tie against MTU, Win/Tie against NMU, swept BSU (one in OT), got swept by Cornell, and Loss/Tie against UMN.
Neither of their goalies have amazing stats thus far (.896 & .891), but Thiessen earned them that tie against UMN when he stopped 47/50.

Similar to last year, most of their offense goes thru Steeves.
We'll get another look at Cole Spicer (their 2nd leading goal scorer) and Luke Bast (their only D with more than 1 goal).

We've definitely played a tougher schedule so far, so hopefully we go in there and can take advantage.
We should have better forward depth and high-end skill, along with hopefully better goaltending.

Tough to sweep on the road in any barn though, so hopefully the boys can come home with 4+ points.

• Upvote 1

Really excited about this one. I like starting out conference play on the road against a quality team. Fair to say Duluth is a bit down compared to what we're used to. Satisfied with a split, but anything more and you're starting to really believe this could be a legitimate Top 5 type of team. Would be nice to get Pehrson back this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

and I am a firm believer in keeping, local talent local

talent

Agree, but wasn’t it his choice to decommit?  Was it true that UND wanted him to play juniors last year and come this year?  Considering his play last year, UND seems to have been correct. It would be great to have him at UND. 
You probably have the inside info. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I couldn't remember last season's series against UMD in Duluth. That's because UND didn't play in Duluth last season. We only played a home series against UMD. It was right after we got swept by Western Michigan at home. We split with UMD that weekend. Beating the Bulldogs is always tough.

In recent history, it seems like no one has protected third-period leads better than Duluth.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I couldn't remember last season's series against UMD in Duluth. That's because UND didn't play in Duluth last season. We only played a home series against UMD. It was right after we got swept by Western Michigan at home. We split with UMD that weekend. Beating the Bulldogs is always tough.

In recent history, it seems like no one has protected third-period leads better than Duluth.

Then, let's be up going into the third. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I thought Minnesota exposed some of Duluth's weaknesses defensively.  Took a great goaltending performance to get the tie at home on Saturday night for the dogs.

Feels like a split, but we could sweep for old time's sake......

Not unprecedented to sweep in Duluth. Heck, I've been to a couple UND sweep weekends in the past 6-7 years.  My favorite being when Duluth didn't score one freaking goal all weekend. A lot of sad puppies that weekend.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not unprecedented to sweep in Duluth. Heck, I've been to a couple UND sweep weekends in the past 6-7 years.  My favorite being when Duluth didn't score one freaking goal all weekend. A lot of sad puppies that weekend.

2015-16 - NC season, was it not ?  Cam Johnson ?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Similar to 2010 when we opened their new arena for them in the Hall of Fame game and they had to wait until the game was over to test their new Goal Horn.

• Like 3