SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hawks @ UMD Bulldogs - Start of NCHC Play

brianvf

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

BU got an embellishment penalty. Is it a point of emphasis this year? Would be nice if Duluth gets a couple this weekend.

Personally, if the ref calls embellishment, why did he call the penalty in the first place? Maybe on a 2 min when someone is crafting to make it a 5, otherwise it's delay of game on the 'embellish-or'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Similar to 2010 when we opened their new arena for them in the Hall of Fame game and they had to wait until the game was over to test their new Goal Horn.

Unfortunately they don't care much about that one, since their season ended spectacularly.

Also, any Sandelin appreciation has been well earned because, wow, did they have a decade.  Funny thing, after 2011 I sat behind some Bulldog fans who were slightly perturbed they were stuck with Sandelin after that title, because they wanted to be done with him.  His tenure up to then was not great.  Guess they were wrong.

While recognizing their fantastic run, done while not actually being much better than their opponents game after game but somehow getting to and winning in overtime, my personal objection was to how cheap they were, targeting the best opposing players.  When they put Tucker Poolman out for the season, then ran Cam Johnson, they basically effectively ended UND's season.  They gave Borgstrom the same treatment in the national title game, he disappeared, and they won.  So I guess it worked, but I'm still a bit peeved at it.  

1 hour ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Personally, if the ref calls embellishment, why did he call the penalty in the first place? Maybe on a 2 min when someone is crafting to make it a 5, otherwise it's delay of game on the 'embellish-or'.

It can still be a penalty, the embellish-or is just overdoing the response in hopes of trying to draw the call, when that wasn't necessary.  You can definitely have legit coincidentals on a play like that.

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not unprecedented to sweep in Duluth. Heck, I've been to a couple UND sweep weekends in the past 6-7 years.  My favorite being when Duluth didn't score one freaking goal all weekend. A lot of sad puppies that weekend.

That’s right up there with the opening game at Amsoil , where they didn’t get to blast their goal horn until way after the game. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/box/final/20101230/ndk/mnd/

53 minutes ago, petey23 said:

James is our best 200 foot forward and has been since the end of last season. Hopefully he can find his scoring touch but his speed is a problem for most teams and he is phenominal on the penalty kill.

He's one of our best penalty killers because so fast and is pressuring all of the time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

James is our best 200 foot forward and has been since the end of last season. Hopefully he can find his scoring touch but his speed is a problem for most teams and he is phenominal on the penalty kill.

James should be in the top 6. He has a great shot as shown last year against Omaha. Give him time. He has a lot of talent. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

James should be in the top 6. He has a great shot as shown last year against Omaha. Give him time. He has a lot of talent. 

Agreed.  His speed is certainly his best attribute currently, but he's gonna develop into one of our better skilled forwards when he's a upperclassman, IMO.
If he gets paired with one of the top 2 lines at some point this season...watch out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1