SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ Boise State 9/16/2023

SiouxFan100

19 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I have wondered the same thing, and wondered about "special needs"...   but i think we are witness to a product of anonymity...  where a person regurgitates everything in their head with no "people will judge" filter....  there may also be an element of self proclaimed or internet expert at work.

once apathy sets in.....and it is if you ask around about "UND football"....it'll be a long climb out of the hole that bubba is digging us. even 4 year olds know this.

14 hours ago, wheelsup said:

The bad..

• Schuster had his worst game that I have seen him play.. poor passes.. bad fumbles etc.
  • the snaps were very poor many times
  • we were able to run the ball.. Danny just didnt seem willing to take what he was given
  • kicking game and lack of confidence in the kicking game is inexcusable.. bad punt as well
  • multiple missed pics.. right in the DB hands 
  • really bad game by siegal. 

the decent

• our defense kept us in the game for 3 quarters while the offense really struggled
  • we had chance after chance to make this game competitive.. super painful

Other

• if we struggle with a running QB.. NDSU will roll us
  • to all of the special teams apologists.. I dont see NDSU or any other college team regularly missing extra points etc.  I realize Kostich didnt miss the extra point.. but he is the special teams coordinator and has been for the last 10 years or so.. he recruits and coaches these players.. somehow the extra point is still an exciting play for UND.. ITS TERRIBLE.. ITS AUTOMATIC FOR MOST, many high school teams dont have this level of excitement in the xtra point.  Spare me the kostich didnt miss the extra point B.S.
  • The extra point miss didnt lose the game.. but it put pressure where there shouldnt have been.. at the end of the 3rd quarter it should have been 21-28.
  • this game was totally winnable.. totally winnable.. 

By the way.. Im not as negative as some.. I expect us to be very competitive against SDSU and have a chance to win that game as well. A week off will help this team and we should be ready to rock .  This game was winnable.. Im super disappointed... unforced errors

Other than the missed XP was the kicking that bad?

12 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Finally, people are starting to call bulls**t. Bubba needs to go. 

I’ve been saying this for years that Bubba just needs to step aside and let Danny run the show. I don’t want Bubba fired but I don’t want to lose Danny either. I get that the offense didn’t perform yesterday so maybe not the best time to be hyping him up. Bubba did a great job of fixing the mess Muss left but we have plateaued. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

What more will Danny give us that bubba isn’t it?

Not saying this should happen, but if it does, you don't think Danny is different than Bubba? One comes from a D background, the other O background. That alone makes them different. 

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No. Last punt was short but no returns even on the 50 yd punt. He netted over 40 yds per punt. That is good at any college level and not bad in the pros. Longest KO return was 24 yds and they brought that out of the end zone 

Missed XP can’t happen. Tends to be a mental issue with the kicker if it keeps up. Not sure about the backup but both of them need to be automatic on XP’s and short FG’s. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

No. Last punt was short but no returns even on the 50 yd punt. He netted over 40 yds per punt. That is good at any college level and not bad in the pros. Longest KO return was 24 yds and they brought that out of the end zone 

Missed XP can’t happen. Tends to be a mental issue with the kicker if it keeps up. Not sure about the backup but both of them need to be automatic on XP’s and short FG’s. 

missed extra point

roughing the kicker (led to td)

targeting on a punt

same old song and dance.......day by day

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

Does anyone think Bubba is the man for the job?  I suspect nobody on here thinks that.  

The ones to ask are the players though they won’t say 

he is a nice guy but he just doesn’t exude confidence 

• Upvote 3

On Friday I said.....they need to take full advantage of the opportunities that present themselves. That is what was so frustrating, the dropped picks....fumbling as getting near red zone before half.  We just can't ever seem to seize the moment. Not that we for sure win if the drops and fumble don't happen, but think it would have been a 4 quarter game at a minimum. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Does anyone think Bubba is the man for the job?  I suspect nobody on here thinks that.  

I really think it's time for a younger and fresher approach.  I'll never know a smiggen about the game of football that Bubba does, but I do feel once things feel somewhat dormant it's time for a new approach.

I thought I'd love Zimmer coaching my Vikings forever, but the time came and everyone knew.  I think it's getting there with Bubba.  

People will have their differences of opinion about what success looks like.  Is it a great season making the tournament most years, but losing out soon after?  I dunno, maybe that's where I see things feeling dormant.  Every year we're 7-4 and complaining that we got sent on the road before a first round exit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Other than that.. how was the play Mrs Lincoln? 

i guesss u are generally correct.. kickoffs were mostly good.. I recall one pretty mediocre punt but I think most of the other ones were good. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, petey23 said:

I often think about The Roman Empire :D and where our program would be if we had hired this guy when we had the chance.

image.jpeg.bc4fa02b05842dd3bd147d4afb29fec9.jpeg

Crosses my mind numerous times. So close in ‘13 to making this hire, but yet, so far. Bubba is a great guy, but a change in leadership would be best for UND. Bubba has given UND a decade of solid coaching, but at some point (and I think it’s soon), transition to a different leader is best. This is a conversation best had after the season - obviously. For now, it’s onto SDSU.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Irish said:

We'd rather have a coach who was 22-21 because he is "one of us".  Heavy lobbying by the old school won the day.  And here we are 10 years later.  One playoff win and we extended him after a 5-6 season.  Absolutely no demand for excellence from the administration.  

Spot on. Our next HC will likely be another “one of us”. But, have to hope for the best, I guess. A different leader is ultimately a different leader. You never truly know until you give the individual the opportunity. 

@Sioux94 I think that's the most appropriate description of this program. They cannot seize the moment. Seems they are incapable of it. Although it starts with the coaches, clearly, it's on the players as well. It feels like it's in this programs DNA to not make "the play". Up until this point.

Bubba has done a great job elevating the floor of the program. What I'm talking about is the three games every year that they won't be favored, or it won't be the coin-flip type of games. They are also games I'm convinced they can win if they play clean, up to their ability. 

As predictably disappointing and frustrating as last Saturday was, it's also really important to take a step back when it comes to this season. Almost every fan if you said they would go 1-1 vs Boise State / SDSU, they would be excited. That's still a possibility. It's absolutely way too early to get too low. 

• Upvote 3