SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ Boise State 9/16/2023

SiouxFan100

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

big difference between hoping and expected......was hoping for a signature win but being a great football mind i knew that the odds of all 3 facets playing a clean game were probably not gonna happen...............bc the last ten years tell me otherwise.

I was hoping Tommy could do his thing knowing his thing is much different than what Penix and Washington did to Boise.  I am pretty disappointed in his play but the dink and dunk show in my mind wouldn't be all that effective today.  We lacked an offensive identity.  Fact is, I have no idea what our O identity is most games other than panic and go 4 and 5 wides when things get tough.  I didn't like being told this week if you didn't pick UND to win today then YOU were the problem.......I did not think UND was going to win BUT as the game started we looked the part, basically just played like sh-t in lots of areas.

• Upvote 4

We all know the number of FCS teams that could go into Boise and win are around two. And we all agree that right now UND is not (typo edited,) where they or us want them to be. Dang I hope this thread follows the UND Football 24 rule - which means 24 hours after every game we MOVE ON. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Massey had UND losing by 17 points and with a 15% chance to win. 

Ironically Massey has UND losing to SDSU by the same 17 points and gives us a 14% chance to win.

The thing is, Montana State proved that the Jacks are vulnerable

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The dropped picks and the fumbles really bothered me. The game was there for the taking. Boise isn’t that good. Tommy absolutely !@#$ the bed out there. That fumble reminded me of his pick against NDSU at home. Should’ve run for a probably 5 yard gain and instead got greedy. 

To me, if you can’t stretch the field with your wide receivers, you have to keep the defense honest every once in a while by quarterback runs when the pocket is collapsing.  Having to deal with a quarterback that takes those 5 yards or many times a lot more gives the defense one more thing to worry about.  Some teams make a living from their quarterbacks scrambling for first downs.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The dropped picks and the fumbles really bothered me. The game was there for the taking. Boise isn’t that good. Tommy absolutely !@#$ the bed out there. That fumble reminded me of his pick against NDSU at home. Should’ve run for a probably 5 yard gain and instead got greedy. 

Exactly - and if this was a rare problem for us we could be frustrated and move on after 24 hours.  However, this seems to happen a lot under Bubba.  In big games, especially on the road, we seem to make rookie mistakes - and this affects everyone from Senior leaders to rookies.  Kicking and special teams, muffed opportunities, turnovers, poor play selection (which I thought we had corrected) - you name it.  Bubba and Co. have increased our talent - but we need to be able to play crisp assignment sharp football if we are going to take the next step.  How many times has this happened in big games?  I know that individual players are responsible for how they perform but this looks more and more like a program problem.  Top programs usually have their best efforts in big games.  We are not there yet - and it has been 10 years.  We have 2 more big games coming up and I hope the team proves me wrong.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I disagree with this statement.. I think there are at least 4 that would win (NDSU, SDSU, MSU, Sac State) and another 5+ that "could" win.. Boise was very beatable yesterday.  I aso dont understand the statement of UND being where they or us want them to be.  They certainly arent where I want them to be.. and Im reasonably confident that they arent where most of us want them to be including Bubba.  I would have been much happier this morning if our losing effort didnt include the special teams struggles and the turnovers.

My hope is that these issues are all fixable issues (botched snaps / missed xtra points / turnovers), and that this was the teams bad game on the road this year.  Tommy and the offense are way better than they showed yesterday.. the defense looks like its continuing to improve and its time to have a great game down at SDSU.

It was a typo (we are not where we want to be(.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

As some has said it it’s culture etc., Going into these games (and title contenders) fans and team do need to expect to win the games. I’m fairly old but I remember NDSU would have wider margins if victory than UND. But, UND played tough and won a fair amount.

Is it a big game (every game played is a Big Game) yes, but if you play an opponent you think you’re out matched than players play like they need to do more than they can physically or skill wise do. 

We as fans wish we know a fix, just as I am certain the coaching staff does. Hopefully the week off gets the team in the right mindset and play a solid 4 quarters which it takes to win against a good/great team. Good teams and play like poorly for most of a game and turn it on to beat inferior teams. Great teams can play solidly for nearly all 4 quarters. That is probably why this loss stings for many of us, it’s not that we lost but how we lost. 

“Champions behave like champions before they are champions.” - Bill Walsh

“Set high goals for you and your organization. When your organization has a goal to shoot for, you create teamwork, people working for a common good.” - Bear Bryant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This. So many opportunities in the first half to go up on them but we couldn’t capitalize. Tommy didn’t play well, fact. Seems like the receivers weren’t getting separation much which resulted in Tommy trying to improvise in the pocket and the fumbles/sacks. 

Despite giving up 42 points, I thought the defense gave me a bit of confidence for the rest of the year. That may sound ridiculous but it’s true. Capitalize on a few more of those turnover opportunities and this boards mood is completely different. 

I will say, I wasn’t able to watch this game as closely as I would have liked, especially the second half so some of my opinions may be wrong haha. 

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

Love the passion. 

1. There are over 120 FCS football teams, we have been in the top 20 most of the last five years. I’m not a math major but I am guessing there are a lot of programs that would love to trade their records and progress with ours.

2. Tommy Schuster is a great FCS quarterback. He is at a FCS level for a reason.  He was playing an FBS athletic defense. He was trying to play up and press and make plays. He doesn’t have an FBS line, or FBS receiving core, or an FBS offensive coordinator. And when you try to press, mistakes are made. That’s what happened to Borude , and that’s what happened to Tommy, and yes, even Fruend. If Feeney was ready he would be in there. If Jerry was ready, he would be in there. They are not. Tommy is our best hope this year to make further strides. We may not be ready to win it this year. But the deeper we get the better our recruiting gets the closer to our goal.

3. We are building our reputation. We don’t have NDSU’s long-standing reputation of excellence. We don’t have SDSU’s facilities, and now reputation for success. (if you wanna see what I mean, go to the game in Brookings in a couple weeks and you’ll understand why, Coughlin Stadium and the S-Jack, their indoor practice facility, are impressive and have been fully funded and completed for 10 years). Danny is developing a reputation as a really good FCS offensive coordinator, where kids want to come here and play. Schwezfier has the defense swarming. They are building something there.

4. Patience everyone. Stay the course. When we were playing, well, I liked what I saw. And what I saw showed we could play with anyone at our level. That’s fun. I actually feel like we have a chance of winning these SU games. Not hoping, but thinking we can actually do it. That’s growth.

Patience is growing thin 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Are you 5 years old? 

I have wondered the same thing, and wondered about "special needs"...   but i think we are witness to a product of anonymity...  where a person regurgitates everything in their head with no "people will judge" filter....  there may also be an element of self proclaimed or internet expert at work.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I feel like there was a certain point last year where the coaches told Tommy he needed to scramble more. He does have it in him, he needs to go back to it again.

That shalacking on the sidelines last week against NAU may have been in his head not sure. 

Right before his fumble I was thinking he should have cut it up the middle. Looked like a small opening but I couldn't tell for sure from my angle how quickly that would have closed.  Hoping I can maybe find the game online somewhere this week to watch again.  The crappiest thing about that fumble was there was only about 1:40 left in the half, which means they had to run hurry up. At that point I knew they were gonna score a TD. If they were 5 minutes left maybe they run their regular offense and we hold them.