SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ Boise State 9/16/2023

SiouxFan100

12 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Brian Shawn does a great job explaining this in the 360 podcast. Essentially says it's nice to have the big arm guys like Day from UNI, or the mobile guys who can scramble, but what gets overlooked is the ball security and decision making.  Wouldn't you rather have 65% completion on 10-15 yard passes than 55% and 3 picks like what Day had against Weber on Saturday?

We need to remember the big pass plays don’t allow us to burn up as much clock. We don’t need to score quick because we know we can March slowly down the field to burn clock and deep out defense on the sidelines and fresh. Making the game about time of possession has kept us in the games against opposing good offenses. We need to keep those good offenses on the sidelines. This is what kept our last FBS games close. Defense getting stops is key to winning on Saturday. Keep the ball in Tommy’s hands!

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed. It is a fair statement. Dom is using it as more of a setup to say UND is not in the top of the FCS, but there is still a fair point to be made. 

Want to be compared to NDSU and SDSU, then we have to ask would they win this game against and 0-2 Boise St?

By no means does the 0-2 record mean Boise is a bad team. I think they will end up having a solid season, especially once they hit conference play, but the attitude should 100% be that we are going out their to get a win and build momentum heading to brookings.

UND losing on Saturday doesn’t mean we don’t belong with NDSU and SDSU. The real test is game 4. No doubt though that a win on Saturday gets us a step towards that level. We still need to win the Mo Valley if we want to prove we are at the top

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We need to remember the big pass plays don’t allow us to burn up as much clock. We don’t need to score quick because we know we can March slowly down the field to burn clock and deep out defense on the sidelines and fresh. Making the game about time of possession has kept us in the games against opposing good offenses. We need to keep those good offenses on the sidelines. This is what kept our last FBS games close. Defense getting stops is key to winning on Saturday. Keep the ball in Tommy’s hands!

How many 10+ play drives are you putting together versus an NDSU or SDSU defense? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND losing on Saturday doesn’t mean we don’t belong with NDSU and SDSU. The real test is game 4. No doubt though that a win on Saturday gets us a step towards that level. We still need to win the Mo Valley if we want to prove we are at the top

I know it's early in the year but presently Boise St and SDSU are only 3 spots apart in the Sagarin rankings.

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

This is a bull$hit take. Win the fuckin game, and then go down to Brookings and beat them.

Go Hawks 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah, this is a really bad take

• Upvote 1

I've been digesting a lot of Boise State content this week. Potentially losing this game is a none-starter for them, but they seem to be pretty spit between needing style points and just winning. The most vocal radio personality is pretty adamant that this won't be close (20, 30, 40 point win). 

Fans and Media are one thing, but if any of this noise is seeping into the BSU psyche, I could really see UND pulling this one off. Jump on them early, keep it close, put doubt in their mind. This just feels different to me. I think UND can really do this. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Ranking if we win? Ranking if we lose?

Remain the same if we win (because Boise will be considered sh!te at that point). Drop to 20-25 if we lose close. Drop out of all polls if we lose by 3 scores or more.

I predict a win. 24-16 Hawks!

Edit: Oh, and NDAC will drop some in the coaches' poll if the Hawks lose because the FCS water boys who actually fill out the polls are clueless. :D

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Their media has already got confused. Said we were 3-3-1 vs FBS teams

Actually, I've seen it reported as an all-time 3-3-1 record against current Mountain West teams. It appears that they are missing a couple of games, as I believe UND's actual record against current Mountain West teams is 3-5-1: Wins against Wyoming & Nevada, 1-1-1 vs. UNLV and losses against: Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State and Utah State.

• Like 1