SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ Boise State 9/16/2023

SiouxFan100

14 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Even Dom and Kolpack think UND can win this game. They think the early start can catch them sleeping. Sam Herder is also intrigued.

Whoever said "hedging", yes.

This might be a time where UND's morning practices work in their favor. 

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/transfer-wesley-eliodor-finding-his-place-in-unds-no-1-ranked-offense

this is why people don't trust the media anymore.......yes they are number 1 in offense but please use some context. 95 sos

Context?  As in we played Drake game 1?  We are two games in... most FCS teams have likely played at least 1 gimmie game...and many have played 1 paycheck game.  We play our paycheck game on Saturday.  These kinds of things even out as the season moves along...Tommy was a nearly 70% completion guy last year...that's pretty dang good.  We all know his limitations...it's on the coaching staff to gameplan to his strengths.  They've done that to my satisfaction thus far.  If that fails to continue...y'all will hear about it on here, I am sure!

Tom Miller isn't an opinion writer, and this wasn't an opinion piece.  If you want to add context...you are free to do so!  I'm sure the Kaminski family would love to hear it!  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Context?  As in we played Drake game 1?  We are two games in... most FCS teams have likely played at least 1 gimmie game...and many have played 1 paycheck game.  We play our paycheck game on Saturday.  These kinds of things even out as the season moves along...Tommy was a nearly 70% completion guy last year...that's pretty dang good.  We all know his limitations...it's on the coaching staff to gameplan to his strengths.  They've done that to my satisfaction thus far.  If that fails to continue...y'all will hear about it on here, I am sure!

Tom Miller isn't an opinion writer, and this wasn't an opinion piece.  If you want to add context...you are free to do so!  I'm sure the Kaminski family would love to hear it!  

did you see who Drake lost to?

so it would kill tom to just mention SOS in his piece? how many average fans know what the pioneer conference is?  

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

did you see who Drake lost to?

so it would kill tom to just mention SOS in his piece? how many average fans know what the pioneer conference is?  

That one really surprises me. I don't expect a ton from Drake, but that one still surprises me. Its not like the didn't show some flashes and potential with certain individuals. 

Whatever ... I don't really care about Drake; lets just find a way to go take one from Boise. 3-0 and maybe everyone can be happy for at least a week. :)

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That one really surprises me. I don't expect a ton from Drake, but that one still surprises me. Its not like the didn't show some flashes and potential with certain individuals. 

Whatever ... I don't really care about Drake; lets just find a way to go take one from Boise. 3-0 and maybe everyone can be happy for at least a week. :)

Hopefully two weeks with the bye :wink:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/transfer-wesley-eliodor-finding-his-place-in-unds-no-1-ranked-offense

this is why people don't trust the media anymore.......yes they are number 1 in offense but please use some context. 95 sos

Northwestern Red Raiders......ranked #1 in NAIA football beat Drake in OT, context matters.  If you look at a lot of Washington's scoring and big plays VRS Boise a good chunk of those came on deep throws, throws Tommy can't make.  The pass to Elidor for example, he basically had to stop running.  Penix (Washington QB) was hitting guys in stride on deep balls and throwing bullets across the middle. (29 of 40 for 450 yards with 5 TDS)  Now Penix last season was a bit of a hot/cold QB with a big arm and no doubt he was red hot VRS Boise.  Lunch Bucket Tommy Gun is pretty much the same QB every game.  Can the intangibles, timing, and WR/TE talent be enough VRS Boise?  It won't match Penix's play but it doesn't need to match, just be good enough to win.  So yes, our offense is a little tongue and cheek #1 currently but it can be good enough to hang in this game.  Probably more scary to me is the Boise St. RB Jeanty.  (43 touches for 365 yards, 8.49 per touch vrs Washington and UCF)

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The pass to Elidor for example, he basically had to stop running.

This has been brought up a couple times now.  Do we know for sure that Elidor was the intended target from the play call?  Or did Elidor turn to look back once he realized he had blown coverage and maybe Tommy needed an 'out' from the original play call?  I'm not saying that it wouldn't have been cool to hit Elidor in stride right in the end zone, but do we even know what all was going on on that play to make such a big deal out of it?  We scored a TD.  If you watch the replay, after the fake hand off, Tommy looks left first (there were two receivers left, Elidor was on the right).   For what it's worth, Tommy threw from his own 47 and Elidor caught the ball at the 7, a total of 46 yards.  Tommy did not look like he threw all he was good for, to me.  On the play right before half, Feeney threw from his own 44 and the ball was tipped at the 3, a total of 53 yards.  And he did look like he threw all he was good for.

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Northwestern Red Raiders......ranked #1 in NAIA football beat Drake in OT, context matters.  If you look at a lot of Washington's scoring and big plays VRS Boise a good chunk of those came on deep throws, throws Tommy can't make.  The pass to Elidor for example, he basically had to stop running.  Penix (Washington QB) was hitting guys in stride on deep balls and throwing bullets across the middle. (29 of 40 for 450 yards with 5 TDS)  Now Penix last season was a bit of a hot/cold QB with a big arm and no doubt he was red hot VRS Boise.  Lunch Bucket Tommy Gun is pretty much the same QB every game.  Can the intangibles, timing, and WR/TE talent be enough VRS Boise?  It won't match Penix's play but it doesn't need to match, just be good enough to win.  So yes, our offense is a little tongue and cheek #1 currently but it can be good enough to hang in this game.  Probably more scary to me is the Boise St. RB Jeanty.  (43 touches for 365 yards, 8.49 per touch vrs Washington and UCF)

I seem to remember another FCS team losing to a top tier NAIA program at home in the last 15 years...seems to me that NAIA program had a great coach that's moved up a level or two since...

I'm not going to put a lot of stock in our top offensive ranking after two games...it doesn't mean much.  What I do know is this...we have yet to struggle to score points, and generally that's not our problem unless we retrench into our shell and play "not to lose."  Make the plays we are supposed to make, attack the edges, get the ball into our playmakers hands and chew up yards/clock and we'll give ourselves a chance offensively to be in this game.  

If we make a bunch of mistakes it'll be a long afternoon on the smurf turf...

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I seem to remember another FCS team losing to a top tier NAIA program at home in the last 15 years...seems to me that NAIA program had a great coach that's moved up a level or two since..

If I’ve learned on thing from the basketball forum its that NAIAs are glorified high school teams with garage players. Interesting to see a different perspective in here and putting some respect on these athletes names. 

I am excited to watch the boys run around on that blue turf and come out with a big time W! Maybe even a game winning FG for #92

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This has been brought up a couple times now.  Do we know for sure that Elidor was the intended target from the play call?  Or did Elidor turn to look back once he realized he had blown coverage and maybe Tommy needed an 'out' from the original play call?  I'm not saying that it wouldn't have been cool to hit Elidor in stride right in the end zone, but do we even know what all was going on on that play to make such a big deal out of it?  We scored a TD.  If you watch the replay, after the fake hand off, Tommy looks left first (there were two receivers left, Elidor was on the right).   For what it's worth, Tommy threw from his own 47 and Elidor caught the ball at the 7, a total of 46 yards.  Tommy did not look like he threw all he was good for, to me.  On the play right before half, Feeney threw from his own 44 and the ball was tipped at the 3, a total of 53 yards.  And he did look like he threw all he was good for.

There is a thing called trajectory too you know that factors into those 2 throws.  I have no issues with Tommy, just pointing out the way Washington toasted Boise is not in our arsenal of weapons but Tommy has other intangibles that will give us a shot in this game. (unless defensively we can't get any stops)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

If I’ve learned on thing from the basketball forum its that NAIAs are glorified high school teams with garage players. Interesting to see a different perspective in here and putting some respect on these athletes names. 

I am excited to watch the boys run around on that blue turf and come out with a big time W! Maybe even a game winning FG for #92

I mean...I wouldn't go conflating what I said with the mindset that Mayville State could beat NDSU...but in the past there have been NAIA schools that have beaten mediocre/bad FCS schools before.  And when the FCS school is in essence a D3 school...I'd argue it should be expected.

45 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

There is a thing called trajectory too you know that factors into those 2 throws.  I have no issues with Tommy, just pointing out the way Washington toasted Boise is not in our arsenal of weapons but Tommy has other intangibles that will give us a shot in this game. (unless defensively we can't get any stops)

I have long thought that our troubles hitting on deep balls the last few years boiled down to two factors:

1 - Lack of a dominant running game to bring safeties into the box.

2 - Lack of receivers who can get separation and run by defenders.

Eliodor might be the first receiver we've had in awhile that could do this.  We were much better at this in the (gulp) Rudy era...mainly because we had two RBs (Oliviera and Santiago) who demanded so much attention!

Sometimes I think about what our offensive production would have looked like if Danny was our OC running this system in 2015-16...it makes me sad if I'm just being honest!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, McBuckets said:

I do remember all hell breaking loose when a few posters in the basketball forum pointed out that elite NAIA schools are equivalent to good D2 maybe even bad D1 level schools. Nice to see something different on here :)

Also a game winning FG by #92 on the blue turf would be a good way to silence the doubters :cool:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Northwestern Red Raiders......ranked #1 in NAIA football beat Drake in OT, context matters.  If you look at a lot of Washington's scoring and big plays VRS Boise a good chunk of those came on deep throws, throws Tommy can't make.  The pass to Elidor for example, he basically had to stop running.  Penix (Washington QB) was hitting guys in stride on deep balls and throwing bullets across the middle. (29 of 40 for 450 yards with 5 TDS)  Now Penix last season was a bit of a hot/cold QB with a big arm and no doubt he was red hot VRS Boise.  Lunch Bucket Tommy Gun is pretty much the same QB every game.  Can the intangibles, timing, and WR/TE talent be enough VRS Boise?  It won't match Penix's play but it doesn't need to match, just be good enough to win.  So yes, our offense is a little tongue in cheek #1 currently but it can be good enough to hang in this game.  Probably more scary to me is the Boise St. RB Jeanty.  (43 touches for 365 yards, 8.49 per touch vrs Washington and UCF)

Agree. Boise State RB scares me in this one. Danny Freund and Tommy Schuster need to be masterful, but honestly, the offensive line for UND needs to show up and win in the trenches if UND comes away with the win.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

you can't defend those throws if you know qbing or football in general....the wes throw..all qb's dream of that pocket and a guy running free. 

the bo one.....one and one and bo burned that cb...

both were horibbly underthrown...like the smith ankle breaker

i agree about his "other" intangibles...he HAS to use his feet on saturday to extend drives...has to! (and he can!!!)  #tommytwostep

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you can't defend those throws if you know qbing or football in general....the wes throw..all qb's dream of that pocket and a guy running free. 

He wasn't running free, the safety came up as Bo came across his face and Wes kept running to get behind him. Bo was 10ish yards from him when he caught it. Could the throw have been further? Yes. Was Wes streaking with everyone beat the whole play? Absolutely not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

He wasn't running free, the safety came up as Bo came across his face and Wes slipped behind him. Bo was 10ish yards from him when he caught it. Could the throw have been further? Yes. Was Wes streaking with everyone beat the whole play? Absolutely not.

he was running free as you'll ever get and a pocket that joe theismann wishes he had on a certain monday night way back when..........

tarantino-reject.gif

• Upvote 1