SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

5 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

He has spent 5 years building up a good offense. Now recruits are starting to take notice and if you look at this last years and next year's class on offense we have some serious talent coming in. This talent will take our offense to another level. 

Why did it take 5 years? 

look at usd they did it in one?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:26 PM, Longtime fan said:

IMO Tommy was very average.  A good game manager yes.  Tommy looked good against weak opponents. With that said ….the coaching staff stiffened up when competing against stiffer competition.  

Danny's dismal play calling against sac st is proof for the coaching staff is way over their heads

Und…with the current players can compete. They destroyed Ndsu.  Ndsu was never in it.  Not even close. I think we all know that was influenced by others ….not this coaching staff.  

Coaching is definitely the downfall of und football.  So damn sickening to hear Ndsu football coverage around here. Why can’t und ever compete for a title????  Coaching!!!!!  It is so damn frustrating to watch und fail year after year in this average league. 

Will und be better without Tommy ?  Feeney and kaminski have far more raw talent than Tommy but they will be held back by the ineptness of the coaching staff.  

I see little change next year even with a more talented qb. 

Our offense will be just fine under Danny. Play calls can look bad if not executed. Now in the Sac State game, I would have liked to run the ball to start the 4th, but let's not act like we ran some elaborate trick play. We rolled out Tommy which we do all the time!! The linebacker for Sac State also made a great play not going for the run fake. Our offense still ran for over 200 yards and scored 35. Danny must have competent enough to do something right...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goose15 said:

Their offense is not why they are winning this year! Without their defense they are an average team. 

They scored 3 against SDSU and 17 against Indiana State. The few games they scored over 30 are against teams we also did and we scored more points on those teams 

9 hours ago, Goose15 said:

He has spent 5 years building up a good offense. Now recruits are starting to take notice and if you look at this last years and next year's class on offense we have some serious talent coming in. This talent will take our offense to another level. 

Did you actually watch the offense this fall when it mattered(sans NDSU game)?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Did you actually watch the offense this fall when it mattered(sans NDSU game)?

Certainly did. And as I have pointed out before, the games where Tommy made a couple of really bad plays our offense didn't score as many points. Hence the we have more talent coming in that can make those plays Tommy didn't more consistently.  I don't care who it is against as long as you are playing D 1 competition, you have a good offense if you are scoring 30+ against most teams. And I will count the NDSU game because why wouldn't I? People saying USD has a better offense in one year than Danny does in 5. Check how many points they put up on them. 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:13 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Feeney starts 2024 and 2025, Jerry starts 2026 and 2027.  Pretty simple! :D

That seems like the way our coaches think. The older guy starts. 

Not saying Feeney won't be the guy, but what if Jerry comes out and kills it. Or what if Feeney kills it but then struggles later in the year. 

You open up the competition, and don't be afraid to switch them out if the starter is costing us plays, drives or games.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That seems like the way our coaches think. The older guy starts. 

Not saying Feeney won't be the guy, but what if Jerry comes out and kills it. Or what if Feeney kills it but then struggles later in the year. 

You open up the competition, and don't be afraid to switch them out if the starter is costing us plays, drives or games.

Wouldn’t it be neat if our coaches were actually aggressive and nabbed a transfer portal QB to shake things up??

wont happen, though, too boring and content with mediocre football. Competition is never a bad thing, unless you’re UND football.

Also no NIL collective to assist. 

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

In my mind it's as simple as this:

Mediocre defense/Inconsistent offense - 5-7 wins (bubble team at best depending on schedule)

Average defense/Average Offense - 6-8 wins (playoff bubble most years)

Good defense/Average offense - 7-9 wins (normally in the playoffs/seed contention some years)

Average defense/Good offense - 7-9 wins (seed contention some years)

Good defense/Good offense - 8-10 wins (seed contention most years)

Good defense/elite offense - 9-11 wins (threat for a title)

Elite defense/good offense - 10-12 wins (title worthy)

If UND can find their way to recapture their defensive prowess...they'll make significant progress even if the offense only equals what it's done in prior years.  That needs to be the biggest point of emphasis for the staff.  If UND can do that and run the ball consistently well...then look out!

Once The 5th Year Safeties Canady and Galvin left and they said they were  going to "Dumb down the Defense" I knew we were in Trouble

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Mediocre defense/Inconsistent offense - 5-7 wins (bubble team at best depending on schedule)

Good defense/Average offense - 7-9 wins (normally in the playoffs/seed contention some years)

If UND can find their way to recapture their defensive prowess...they'll make significant progress even if the offense only equals what it's done in prior years.  That needs to be the biggest point of emphasis for the staff.  If UND can do that and run the ball consistently well...then look out!

Agreed that the defense and running the ball is the ticket. However, they keep trying to replicate was was done in the 90s and early 2000s defensively …

3 hours ago, UND08 said:

This staff won’t develop anything considered more than average or slightly above average defense. Bubba and his defensive assistants - despite being labeled “defensive guys” - are outdated and not capable anymore. Time has passed them by. It’s not 2001 anymore. 

The whole Holinka leaving for St. Thomas and Schwenzfeier getting promoted thing last off-season was a major red flag and proved to be true this past season. Bubba is in over his head. 

If/when Freund gets the head job, curious what he’d do with the defensive side of the ball.

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This staff won’t develop anything considered more than average or slightly above average defense. Bubba and his defensive assistants - despite being labeled “defensive guys” - are outdated and not capable anymore. Time has passed them by. It’s not 2001 anymore. 

The whole Holinka leaving for St. Thomas and Schwenzfeier getting promoted thing last off-season was a major red flag and proved to be true this past season. Bubba is in over his head. 

If/when Freund gets the head job, curious what he’d do with the defensive side of the ball.

He'd instill a defense to stop the 2 yard pass - the most dangerous play in football.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

FBS team and 4 of the 8 final teams this season. Isn't going to be a cakewalk by any means.

Never is, especially with the current coaching staff …

But, by August 2024, we’ll all forget and be back ready for more bubba ball … ignorance is bliss, as they say, and time heals (most) wounds 

22 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wouldn’t it be neat if our coaches were actually aggressive and nabbed a transfer portal QB to shake things up??

wont happen, though, too boring and content with mediocre football. Competition is never a bad thing, unless you’re UND football.

Also no NIL collective to assist. 

Possible. Totally depends on who is available at QB. I do think Feeney has shown confidence and potential. I'm really excited to see what Kaminski brings to the table as well (then again, I was excited about Joe Mollberg and Nate Ketteringham.

It would definitely be nice to see them get more aggressive with the portal this year though. Its not a way to build a team, but it is a way to fill gaps. Now more than ever with the landscape of college football. Players are going to move around, that's just the way it is. So might as well utilize it and go after some talent. It would certainly be the quickest way to try to revamp your defense and make it work.

Obviously, you'd prefer to land good recruits and develop them, and we have seen some of that, but not enough. Pick up some transfers to go with it.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, GoHawks said:

Thats a bit high don't you think!?! :D

Until I see some good defensive portal transfers, I'd definitely say that is high. If we can't get to the QB again next year it's going to be hard to take a step forward. 

• Upvote 1