SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

On 4/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, scpa0305 said:

That’s exactly my thought. Get that kid in a green sweater and let him play. If he’s slower out of the gates that fine (and expected)…maybe he’d stay all 4 years. The issue is that these high end players should be put in positions to succeed…given the roster issues all these kids are in a tougher spot. If he doesn’t come in, maybe he looks for a “more secure/safe” development path. Who knows. 

From what I was told this week, it's HE that is considering staying one more year in the USHL. The team agrees, and both sides are saying he could come in, but he personally feels he's not ready yet.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

From what I was told this week, it's HE that is considering staying one more year in the USHL. The team agrees, and both sides are saying he could come in, but he personally feels he's not ready yet.

I had wondered if this might be the case, actually. I knew he was okay with another year of juniors but wasn’t told whose idea it was. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Buckberger flipped commitment from Wisco to DU. I was really hoping we’d be in on him. Getting tough to watch. DU is running with these skilled guys 

On a positive note, this does poke a hole in the "B1G Rules The World" narrative. :wink:

Whether our coaching staff was interested in him or not is anyone's guess. But I know one thing, we cannot contend for titles relying too much on "culture" guys with limited skills.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I had wondered if this might be the case, actually. I knew he was okay with another year of juniors but wasn’t told whose idea it was. 

I actually kind of like it. Seems like he's got a good grasp of his game. I'm all for that.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If anyone thinks our staff evaluates prospects and discuss “culture “ during those evaluations I would strongly disagree. It’s amusing to see how fans have found a way to make it a negative connotation related to an athletic team.

I believe  “Culture” is a philosophy, attitude, approach to the game, priorities etc that every team develops instills in programs once the players/staff join the program. 

It has been interesting to hear how many times coaches and players of successful teams, when interviewed, refer  to their team’s culture.

I would argue that all organizations try to develop a culture that provides an environment where players, coaches and ultimately the team/organization are positioned to develop their full potential as individuals and as a team. That obviously increases the likelihood of success. 
Regardless of the end result your culture needs to remain dynamic and adjusted each year. Culture isn’t about the individual, it’s about the organization. 

Every organization has a culture.

Making sure it tracks with the mission and objective is the pickle.

It's also very easy for it to derail

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I actually kind of like it. Seems like he's got a good grasp of his game. I'm all for that.

That level of self-awareness is impressive for a fully-grown adult, let alone an 18-year old. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

If anyone thinks our staff evaluates prospects and discuss “culture “ during those evaluations I would strongly disagree. It’s amusing to see how fans have found a way to make it a negative connotation related to an athletic team.

I believe  “Culture” is a philosophy, attitude, approach to the game, priorities etc that every team develops instills in programs once the players/staff join the program. 

It has been interesting to hear how many times coaches and players of successful teams, when interviewed, refer  to their team’s culture.

I would argue that all organizations try to develop a culture that provides an environment where players, coaches and ultimately the team/organization are positioned to develop their full potential as individuals and as a team. That obviously increases the likelihood of success. 
Regardless of the end result your culture needs to remain dynamic and adjusted each year. Culture isn’t about the individual, it’s about the organization. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that having a great culture for a program is not important.  It's just that when we have a miserable season like this one while our enemies prosper it is frustrating and hearing Berry talk "culture" once again.  After we give up a lead in the third the "culture" talk after the game is somewhat incongruent.  We need to have culture and skill - some high end talent.  So far one of those is missing.  Focus on getting some blue chippers, upping the style of play, and getting our recruiting straightened out. Then we can have culture and a winning program.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Irish said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that having a great culture for a program is not important.  It's just that when we have a miserable season like this one while our enemies prosper it is frustrating and hearing Berry talk "culture" once again.  After we give up a lead in the third the "culture" talk after the game is somewhat incongruent.  We need to have culture and skill - some high end talent.  So far one of those is missing.  Focus on getting some blue chippers, upping the style of play, and getting our recruiting straightened out. Then we can have culture and a winning program.  

I agree with most of what you say except your team’s culture (which includes accountability Sic) needs to be in place before players arrive on campus. The blue chippers as well as the grinders need to understand and buy into that. The staff needs to figure out each players role and put them in a position for personal and team success. 

I am more concerned about whether or not the guys who entered the portal are guys we should have kept and a concern about whether we are losing kids or is it a problem in our evaluation of talent and lack of development. 

I’m also concerned about the direction of college hockey and what that means for UND. The emergence of Penn State and Ohio State in a league with Michigan State, Notre Dame and Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota with NIL and the Portal in play is a big threat to UND, Denver and UMD. Our league with Miami, Western Michigan  St. Cloud and Omaha, faces a major challenge right now.  I believe we need to add ASU and consider Mankato and Bemidji to strengthen the league.

I may be wrong and we may get frustrated with a year like we just went through but that’s why the repeated criticism of Berry’s comment about culture isn’t the problem  

Lots of other comments regarding financial support are spot on.  I believe a challenge for Chaves and our athletic programs is reaching and connecting with Alumni that have resources not typically committed to Athletics.  Strinden and Clifford did a great job of managing those relationships and funding.  I sense that athletics is a lower priority with Deanna.  Kupchella seemed to treat it as an unnecessary evil.  Kennedy understood, but was ambushed by the name fiasco which took a lot of money fighting a lost cause.  

Lots of challenges but we are in good position right now. We need to be proactive and we need to be thinking outside the box. That includes changing leagues, adding teams to NCHC, creative funding sources etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Our league with Miami, Western Michigan  St. Cloud and Omaha, faces a major challenge right now.  I believe we need to add ASU and consider Mankato and Bemidji to strengthen the league.

For once I agree with you. Well written and well stated.

One minor change: I would substitute Bemidji with St. Thomas. Otherwise, you are right.