SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

43 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The biggest problem is that extra COVID year. It has screwed up the pipeline and caused younger players to sit and watch, which ruins their development. As time goes on, this problem should go away by itself.

It will correct itself.  But it didn't have to be screwed up either.   Don't let 10 and 19 come back last year and bring in 2 freshman and start to let them develop.   My memory sucks but I think those were the only 2 to use their 5th year in the last 2 years.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So if Albrecht doesn’t come back we have 14 forwards need at least one more , do they portal or bring in Croal along with Perron and Emerson. I guess we now know why they needed 2 D from the portal, can a player come back to a team once he is in the portal ?

I really hope not, croal could really use another year of juniors. I’ve tracked him fairly closely and while his numbers are ok, he’s really steaky. Another year would help him tremendously. If it’s between the portal and croal…I’d slightly lean Croal however.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right now the defense is Cooper Moore and my nightly prayer that Ethan Frisch stays. 

Cooper and a prayer is not a defense. 

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

Per Schloss, Frisch is nearing a deal and will be gone.

Cooper and a prayer is not a defense. 

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

I thought he progressed nicely. Not trying to pick on Farmer, but even at the end of the year that 3rd pair was inconsistent at best. That was one of my issues. It would have been one thing if the 6 that were playing were all lights out. That wasn't the case.

I'll say this. There was no "mentor" for the young d-men this year like there was the previous year. Decision was made to bring in Farmer and replace the "mentor", that was there previously and who also had a year of eligibility left. The "mentor" was a solid defender, who could make a first pass out of the zone consistently and could be some one for the young guys to lean on.  I promise you, the "mentor" they had in place for the on/off ice for the young guys in '21-'22, was missed. 

Resumes do not always translate to better success.........the intangibles are very hard to replace.

The prospect of "No Frisch" has taken a crap morning to total suckage. 

The freshmen five will be: 
Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, Benoit, Komzak*

Portal RH defensemen ... charge your cell phones. 

*only RH shot; Moore shoots LH. 

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I really hope not, croal could really use another year of juniors. I’ve tracked him fairly closely and while his numbers are ok, he’s really steaky. Another year would help him tremendously. If it’s between the portal and croal…I’d slightly lean Croal however.

I think the plan has always been 2 years of juniors for Croal so if they can avoid bringing him in I would guess they would and just find a guy in the portal. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes. 
Think of the portal as a hallway in a hotel. You've stepped out of a room into the hall. You can go into another room if they'll have you. You can go back into the same room if they'll have you. Or you can end up without a room and leaving the hotel. 

Any idea if any players have entered the portal and then went back to their original team? I would think if any did, it would have been without any scholarship money.

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Any idea if any players have entered the portal and then went back to their original team? I would think if any did, it would have been without any scholarship money.

I can't come up with a name in any sport. 

37 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I honestly think there was something more to it. I hate to speculate but underclassmen are going to make mistakes. This should be known and very obvious. Farmer, Moore, etc all made their fair share of mistakes. Heck, kleven and Frisch made their fair share early in this year too. Johnson’s numbers were decent and he showed a few glimpses early in the year on that second pp. 

Overall, tough situation and Berry has always developed dmen fairly well. Bubs is the coach, have to trust him even though it was a bigger head scratcher.

Maybe this has to do with players not wanting to play for KG. 

46 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes. 
Think of the portal as a hallway in a hotel. You've stepped out of a room into the hall. You can go into another room if they'll have you. You can go back into the same room if they'll have you. Or you can end up without a room and leaving the hotel. 

What kind of hotel though?

46 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Pair me with Makar and I would be adequate,  lol.

Pair me with Makar and I'd probably just sit back in my own zone. He doesn't need me trying to pinch up or hold the zone and getting in his way. I'll just sit back, talk to the goalie and yell encouraging words. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I honestly think there was something more to it. I hate to speculate but underclassmen are going to make mistakes. This should be known and very obvious. Farmer, Moore, etc all made their fair share of mistakes. Heck, kleven and Frisch made their fair share early in this year too. Johnson’s numbers were decent and he showed a few glimpses early in the year on that second pp. 

Overall, tough situation and Berry has always developed dmen fairly well. Bubs is the coach, have to trust him even though it was a bigger head scratcher.

I've asked multiple people several times and everyone swears it's an only on ice issue.