SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So Ausmus is another recruit that is on the verge of washing out? I certainly hope not.

Not a new phenomenon. UND is nowhere near the only team that sees recruit peak early and not develop to their assumed potential. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not a new phenomenon. UND is nowhere near the only team that sees recruit peak early and not develop to their assumed potential. 

You are correct. However, with our current problems, this is the worst possible time for that to happen. We need to hit on more than we miss if we are going to turn it around next season and beyond.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You are correct. However, with our current problems, this is the worst possible time for that to happen. We need to hit on more than we miss if we are going to turn it around next season and beyond.

Ausmus is still a project. And frankly, was always going to be one. We all love legacy players, but sometimes they just don't work. Someone said it a bit ago, but this will be a very big season for him. 

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Benoit, yes! I couldn't remember the other. Yeah, Ausmus hasn't had a great run of it the past year plus.

I was somewhat thinking the same thing. Undrafted guys always get a game or two. Guessing he was ready for the next step. Obviously has a degree so can’t fault the guy. Next year, most likely, will be more of the same. He probably wanted to move on.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Your skating is weak and your gap control is non-existent. :D  

I would park arms length from my tendie so I would not get winded with those 70 seconds shifts. Makar will cover the rest of the ice, and probably help me up and to the bench once in a while. 

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ausmus is still a project. And frankly, was always going to be one. We all love legacy players, but sometimes they just don't work. Someone said it a bit ago, but this will be a very big season for him. 

Prior to juniors he was really high end actually. Was on the 04 mn blades team that was beyond loaded and he was a really good player on that team. Got looks with NTDP early on too. I honestly think he had some bad injuries and it set him back big time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Prior to juniors he was really high end actually. Was on the 04 mn blades team that was beyond loaded and he was a really good player on that team. Got looks with NTDP early on too. I honestly think he had some bad injuries and it set him back big time.

Yep. Definitely a bummer. Seems like he was really being challenged to quickly improve defensively and he wasn't apparently responded quickly enough. 

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

With all of the talk about recruits; Is there a clear list of who is and who might be coming in next year?

For recruits only (not portals), currently we're looking at this more than likely:

D - Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, Benoit, Komzak
F - Emerson, Perron
G - Hedquist

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

For recruits only (not portals), currently we're looking at this more than likely:

D - Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, Benoit, Komzak
F - Emerson, Perron
G - Hedquist

The other pieces will be make or break. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

The other pieces will be make or break. 

For sure.  Berry needs to get 2 D, 1 G, and maybe 1 F out of the portal.
Portal is tough...the right players for our squad might not even be in the portal yet (still playing).

Regardless though, Berry needs to nail those four portal picks...the results for next season hang in the balance.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, brianvf said:

For sure.  Berry needs to get 2 D, 1 G, and maybe 1 F out of the portal.
Portal is tough...the right players for our squad might not even be in the portal yet (still playing).

Regardless though, Berry needs to nail those four portal picks...the results for next season hang in the balance.

Just guarantee Howard he’ll be on a line with OM and Blake the entire year. First PP guaranteed.  

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd argue a 9th D or a 4th G would not be fool-hearty. 

I don’t think 4 goalie is a bad idea. Johnson isn’t going to be a starter. What if Hedquist isn’t ready. Just throwing it out there. He started the season slow and could one more year of JRs if he wanted to. 

56 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah, wouldn't give up on him yet.  If you look at Madison, none of the defensemen have great +/- numbers, but Ausmus is among the best with those playing a lot of games.  Minnesota recruited Yakesh on last year, and Ausmus is on par or better than he is and is younger as well. 

• Upvote 2