SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I wouldn’t mind Danielson back he’s the heart and soul and provides better culture than anyone in the men’s hockey team does

Definitely plays hard and crashes the board hard. Not sure but I would imagine he is a good locker room guys as well and always helps having that experience on the roster.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:57 AM, SD UND said:

I believe everyone here would like BJ to stay and any sane person could see that he is at the right level... but the people that have these kids' ear away from the program are not sane... I would be shocked if BJ goes to Minnesota.. while his ppg average is impressive for a freshman.. his percentages are not. And he doesn't have the body for the Big 10. Plus they are going to need impact guys that are ready to go right now.

Could a valley school try to scoop him up? Probably... Does he even want to leave?? who knows!!? 

Matt and T are interesting because normally JUCO sophomores have 2 years and they are out but the covid years throw a new wrinkle into that...

Brady could be done or he could play another year... with everything going on with his dad, who knows what he decides to do.

Do reid and jahni want to stay and be 9-10 on the roster?? Could they go D2 and play?? 

I can see 2-3 guys leaving because that is pretty normal attrition that happens to every team... regardless of who that is.. UND probably needs to get JUCO or 4 year transfers to fill that void.

I’m just going to focus on this part of your post. I, like everyone here, really hope BJ stays. The guy could develop into an absolute force in the Summit. I think he could be a real good player in the Valley too. Like you said, he has a ways to go to be an impact player in the B1G. 

After last year, I would have said I hope T transfers because he was very replaceable. At the beginning of this year, I had similar thoughts anytime Norman did anything besides shoot 3s. Shows why I’m not on the coaching staff and also how much both these two improved. Having both return next year would be huge. I would guess T does but Norman will be interesting to see whether he tries to find a role on a bigger school or maybe he just hangs them up. 

Brady falls into the same boat for me as I would love to have him back but he may just be ready. 

Reid Grant just isn’t a D1 player. He’s a nice PG with good vision but he belongs at the D2 level. There’s no shame in that.  Think Levias could become a reliable bench player in the Summit with a full offseason of health but could find a lot of success moving down as well. I believe he’s around 21 or so as a redshirt freshman. 

I will go ahead and assume we will have at least two scholarships available. I think everyone on here can agree that we need an actual 5 and a PG. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I will go ahead and assume we will have at least two scholarships available. I think everyone on here can agree that we need an actual 5 and a PG. 

Absolutely! We need someone that can protect the paint and protect the rim. That is a huge part of why our defense has been so bad all year. There is 0 rim protection at all. Teams can get whatever they want at the rim which then opens up the 3's for them. Need to address that glaring issue this offseason. 

Need to find some sort of backup PG or someone that can create some competition for the starting PG spot over the offseason. I have no doubt that we can be a good team in the Summit with Trent as our PG, but competition for that starting spot over the offseason is never a bad thing! At worst that competition pushes Trent to work on his weaknesses over the offseason and you get a solid backup out of it.

11 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think everyone on here can agree that we need an actual 5 and a PG. 

Would have been nice this season to have a Rebraca and an Ihenacho to fill those gaps.

Two completely different scenarios, but this team is a whole lot different with those two on the roster.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, Kab said:

A few people think Bj would go to minnesota

why would anyone go to that dumpster fire

when he signed he said he was 1000% committed

i think Trey wants to be at Und 

I mean if we are going to compare dumpster fires, at least playing for a bigger program comes with bigger perks. If this was a competitive UND team, I may understand the concept. But c'mon. What has this team/program shown in the last handful of years that would really make someone not consider other options?

I'm not saying it is right. I am old school and think if a school is giving you an opportunity and an education, you should be grateful for it and show up ready to work for 4 years, but that just isn't the way it is right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I mean if we are going to compare dumpster fires, at least playing for a bigger program comes with bigger perks. If this was a competitive UND team, I may understand the concept. But c'mon. What has this team/program shown in the last handful of years that would really make someone not consider other options?

I'm not saying it is right. I am old school and think if a school is giving you an opportunity and an education, you should be grateful for it and show up ready to work for 4 years, but that just isn't the way it is right now.

Along with NIL money that wouldn't be available around here

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Would have been nice this season to have a Rebraca and an Ihenacho to fill those gaps.

Two completely different scenarios, but this team is a whole lot different with those two on the roster.

Look at the talent other teams in the conference have lost the last couple of years. Yea obviously we’d be in a better position if we were the only team to get our players back. It doesn’t work that way 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Look at the talent other teams in the conference have lost the last couple of years. Yea obviously we’d be in a better position if we were the only team to get our players back. It doesn’t work that way 

Only pointing out the two glaring holes in this team could have both been filled by players that were on the roster 24 months ago. Both of who had proved they could make a difference in the league.

Wishful thinking more than anything.

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well let’s see how many star recruits Mn. Gets

im old school too, you commit, you stay 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I've been following Rebraca fairly closely at Iowa and, as far as I can tell, he's started every game, usually leads the team in rebounding, and there's been at least a time or two where he's lead the team in scoring.  I'm guessing that he would have meant another 4-5 wins to our squad each of the last two seasons.  Just wishful thinking, water under the bridge, yada, yada, yada, but sometimes it's fun to speculate.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

BJ is not P5 nor Minnesota level talent.. maybe St Thomas to get closer to home (ps I’m already prepping for this mentally)

7 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

BJ is not P5 nor Minnesota level talent.. maybe St Thomas to get closer to home (ps I’m already prepping for this mentally)

Going to St. Thomas would be stupid. Lateral move (right now) and no shot at the dance. If he wants to be closer to home, may as well go to Northern Iowa. Still 3 hours away from Mankato but closer, better conference and a chance to make the dance. 

33 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Going to St. Thomas would be stupid. Lateral move (right now) and no shot at the dance. If he wants to be closer to home, may as well go to Northern Iowa. Still 3 hours away from Mankato but closer, better conference and a chance to make the dance. 

When is St. Thomas eligible to make the NCAA tournament?

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

2026-27 so this coming years freshman class would be the first eligible for the tournament. 

That doesn’t make sense to me why a team moving up needs to wait so long to make the tournament. Now in D2 when teams move down that makes sense but this just seems to unfairly hurt those schools.

6 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

2026-27 so this coming years freshman class would be the first eligible for the tournament. 

The fact they were able to get this freshman class with them knowing they have no shot at the tournament is insane. They have all the ability to become an absolute powerhouse 

10 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

The fact they were able to get this freshman class with them knowing they have no shot at the tournament is insane. They have all the ability to become an absolute powerhouse 

Agreed. They’re likely not long for the Summit. 

4 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Once they build the new arena they’ll be gone, which opens the door back open for Augustana to get into the Summit 

Is that going to happen for Augustana? Or has that ship sailed? How long ago was it that they initially tried to go D1?