SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

I don't know and nobody knows but I can tell you team has improved week to week as the conference season has moved along. Today's team on floor and people on the bench they all looked bought into the game and that is all you can expect from team when it's performing. The questions are where are they at the end of the season and i don't see how coaches are to deal with that in this time when players have so many people in their years telling them that the grass is greener elsewhere and in fact that isn't true most of the time, we have seen that with some of the players we have lost. We have seen how this coaching staff has found young players and developed them but to lose them and it's just not us but most of the teams in Summit conference and is happening much more often with changes in rules on transferring players. Look around the Summit how many of stars will we lose again this year if schools from bigger conference come knocking to improve their team for the following year. Nelson from NDSU could very well see this like Scheierman from SDSU going on getting NIL money and chance to play on national level. We haven't had that type of player, but we have had players that school trying to build out their roster for depth have come in basically poached young talent and if it doesn't work out are cut or just sitting on bench and used to play there starting lineup. I believe they will extend Sather contract after the season and my gut feeling were going to keep our players for next season. I have my reasons for this but i believe it comes down to this group of players seem to be more bought into this team than previous players we have left previous couple of seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

What's the temperature level right now? I'm thinking 2 year extension no matter what happens via tournament BUT if we lose a combination of Bj &/or Eaglestaff to the portal its time for him to go. 

Agreed

if we loose bj and eaglestafff he should be gone

its his job to keep the recruits he recruited or he isn’t doing a good job of retaining. Idc about portal this portal thst. You really think Brun is getting nil 

Trey isn't going anywhere, his best friend from Bismarck (Ryan Erickson) will be here next year.  There is some thought this was the only reason they offered Erickson, but that's for another discussion I guess.  Who knows about BJ.  Even though the Gophs are a train wreck, the chance to play for your home state program, close to home and on a bigger stage has its advantages.  

The feeling is night and day different from where we were following the SDSU game. I really do feel good about the direction regardless of how they do in the tournament. Good point about keeping players though. On one hand, are there special situations / opportunities? BJ might have that. I would consider, IF he gets a chance to go to the UofM to be something you wouldn't blame him for taking that opportunity. On the other, nobody else that has previously left (Rebraca being the exception) leveled up to the point that would make sense to leave. Three years in a row of losing your best Freshman would absolutely be a trend. I will say, the difference this year would be, I like the rotation they have right now and only Danielson is gone for sure. Let's say you lose one but keep everyone else. That's still a win for me.  

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The feeling is night and day different from where we were following the SDSU game. I really do feel good about the direction regardless of how they do in the tournament. Good point about keeping players though. On one hand, are there special situations / opportunities? BJ might have that. I would consider, IF he gets a chance to go to the UofM to be something you wouldn't blame him for taking that opportunity. On the other, nobody else that has previously left (Rebraca being the exception) leveled up to the point that would make sense to leave. Three years in a row of losing your best Freshman would absolutely be a trend. I will say, the difference this year would be, I like the rotation they have right now and only Danielson is gone for sure. Let's say you lose one but keep everyone else. That's still a win for me.  

Danielson could return too unless it’s been confirmed he’s done and I missed it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ND1 said:

Trey isn't going anywhere, his best friend from Bismarck (Ryan Erickson) will be here next year.  There is some thought this was the only reason they offered Erickson, but that's for another discussion I guess.  Who knows about BJ.  Even though the Gophs are a train wreck, the chance to play for your home state program, close to home and on a bigger stage has its advantages.  

BJ needs to stay at this level and dominate.  

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Totally agree.  He has a very bright future at UND.  He and Treysen can lead this team to the top of the summit.

First priority is keeping them. Next priority to getting them playing in the right positions. Omot is not a 4 man. He needs to be playing the 3. Treysen is not a point guard. He needs to be playing the 2. Get them playing the right positions and they will be even more successful. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

First priority is keeping them. Next priority to getting them playing in the right positions. Omot is not a 4 man. He needs to be playing the 3. Treysen is not a point guard. He needs to be playing the 2. Get them playing the right positions and they will be even more successful. 

Agree on Treysen.  I think Omot is arguably either a 3 or a 4, especially if he adds some muscle and weight.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Thing on Treysen, he has vision can see the court.  He dishes out some nice assists for a freshman.  Honestly I like him as a 6 man.  In the last month or so he gave a nice pick up off the bench.  He is a score as well.  3 pointer and nice move to the bucket.

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree!! Even though Treysen is a 2 i feel like having him play the point this year will be huge for his development and playmaker in years to come. I also love the idea of BJ at the 3 and just putting out a huge starting lineup then having BJ play the 4 one the subs start to come in

Hopefully all the youngsters understand that going to a power 5 team at this point in their careers would really hinder their development. 

Going to a different mid-major would be a lateral move and not give them any options or opportunities to capitalize on a good year to move up a level (P5). 

Staying another year at UND would give them all a chance to develop faster with a level of comfort and familiarity with coaches, teammates, and system. All of them could give themselves better opportunities in another year after raising the program up from the bottom. All eyes would be on them them!

13 hours ago, McBuckets said:

I agree!! Even though Treysen is a 2 i feel like having him play the point this year will be huge for his development and playmaker in years to come. I also love the idea of BJ at the 3 and just putting out a huge starting lineup then having BJ play the 4 one the subs start to come in

Yes, Treysen has developed nicely in his ability to drive and create for himself and others off the dribble as the season went on. Glad to see that and will only get better over the years to come! I like Omot playing the majority of his minutes at the 3. He can play some 4 when subs come in, but the majority of his minutes should be at the 3.

Having Treysen at 6'7" and Omot at 6'8" as your two wing players is a huge luxury that not many teams in the Summit have. Especially with both of them being highly skilled and athletic. We need to use that to our advantage.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Yes, Treysen has developed nicely in his ability to drive and create for himself and others off the dribble as the season went on. Glad to see that and will only get better over the years to come! I like Omot playing the majority of his minutes at the 3. He can play some 4 when subs come in, but the majority of his minutes should be at the 3.

Having Treysen at 6'7" and Omot at 6'8" as your two wing players is a huge luxury that not many teams in the Summit have. Especially with both of them being highly skilled and athletic. We need to use that to our advantage.

If BJ is playing the 3 then you can't have a big bruiser 4 man that can't shoot. BJ needs space.. the more people on the floor that can shoot around him makes a big big difference... that's why he will probably play more 4 than 3 going forward.. even though position numbers anymore are obsolete other than maybe the 1 and the 5. 2,3,4 are pretty interchangeable.

15 minutes ago, SD UND said:

If BJ is playing the 3 then you can't have a big bruiser 4 man that can't shoot. BJ needs space.. the more people on the floor that can shoot around him makes a big big difference... that's why he will probably play more 4 than 3 going forward.. even though position numbers anymore are obsolete other than maybe the 1 and the 5. 2,3,4 are pretty interchangeable.

For sure. He needs space. Today's basketball is all about spacing. Good thing we currently have a 4 man that can shoot playing as our 5 man! Easy fix over the offseason. 

Will be interested to see what takes place in the 2 weeks following the end of UND's season.

Players that are for sure gone:

Mitchell Sueker

Caleb Nero

And I believe Nicholson is no longer in school

Players that could come back and use covid year:

Brady Danielson- 1 year left

Matt Norman- 1 year left

T- 1 year left

Treysen-SO

BJ- SO

Elijah- SO

Ajahni-SO

Mathews- JR

Trent- SR

Reid- JR

Incoming guys:

Doppler

Erikson

Bothun-PWO

I believe everyone here would like BJ to stay and any sane person could see that he is at the right level... but the people that have these kids' ear away from the program are not sane... I would be shocked if BJ goes to Minnesota.. while his ppg average is impressive for a freshman.. his percentages are not. And he doesn't have the body for the Big 10. Plus they are going to need impact guys that are ready to go right now.

Could a valley school try to scoop him up? Probably... Does he even want to leave?? who knows!!? 

Matt and T are interesting because normally JUCO sophomores have 2 years and they are out but the covid years throw a new wrinkle into that...

Brady could be done or he could play another year... with everything going on with his dad, who knows what he decides to do.

Do reid and jahni want to stay and be 9-10 on the roster?? Could they go D2 and play?? 

I can see 2-3 guys leaving because that is pretty normal attrition that happens to every team... regardless of who that is.. UND probably needs to get JUCO or 4 year transfers to fill that void. 

I believe they still have 1 open scholly anyways so it will be interesting to see what they do with that.. I assume it's a 4/5 with some athleticism but who knows.

Long post, but I'm bored at work.. not sure if any of it makes sense

1 minute ago, SD UND said:

Will be interested to see what takes place in the 2 weeks following the end of UND's season.

Mitchell Sueker

Caleb Nero

Matt Norman- 1 year left

T- 1 year left

Treysen-SO

BJ- SO

Elijah- SO

Ajahni-SO

Mathews- JR

Trent- SR

Reid- JR

Incoming guys:

Doppler

Erikson

Bothun-PWO

I believe everyone here would like BJ to stay and any sane person could see that he is at the right level... but the people that have these kids' ear away from the program are not sane... I would be shocked if BJ goes to Minnesota.. while his ppg average is impressive for a freshman.. his percentages are not. And he doesn't have the body for the Big 10. Plus they are going to need impact guys that are ready to go right now.

Could a valley school try to scoop him up? Probably... Does he even want to leave?? who knows!!? 

Matt and T are interesting because normally JUCO sophomores have 2 years and they are out but the covid years throw a new wrinkle into that...

Brady could be done or he could play another year... with everything going on with his dad, who knows what he decides to do.

Do reid and jahni want to stay and be 9-10 on the roster?? Could they go D2 and play?? 

I can see 2-3 guys leaving because that is pretty normal attrition that happens to every team... regardless of who that is.. UND probably needs to get JUCO or 4 year transfers to fill that void. 

I believe they still have 1 open scholly anyways so it will be interesting to see what they do with that.. I assume it's a 4/5 with some athleticism but who knows.

I would love if they could someone get an athletic 5 man on the team next year. Really liked Ahjany Lee from St. Thomas and the potential he has. Can see why he had a Kansas offer at one point. He’s miles away from reaching that potential but you can see it. Long way of saying it would be fun to have a rim running big guy on the team next year 

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Mitchell Sueker

Caleb Nero

Matt Norman- 1 year left

T- 1 year left

Treysen-SO

BJ- SO

Elijah- SO

Ajahni-SO

Mathews- JR

Trent- SR

Reid- JR

Incoming guys:

Doppler

Erikson

Bothun-PWO

The way they developed this year, would love to see T and Matt return.  Brady has also really developed this year and is such a great teammate and role model for the younger players, I'd like to see him return, also.

5 hours ago, SD UND said:

Mitchell Sueker

Caleb Nero

Matt Norman- 1 year left

T- 1 year left

Treysen-SO

BJ- SO

Elijah- SO

Ajahni-SO

Mathews- JR

Trent- SR

Reid- JR

Incoming guys:

Doppler

Erikson

Bothun-PWO

Is Bothun actually a PWO?