SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I think them graduating two OL that made NFL rosters, one who will be starting....will be a bigger loss than Luepke.  In the past many have predicted their demise a couple of times, I never did because I know they always rebuild.  This is the first time though, it seems a little different due to many factors.  They realistically could lose 3 games this year, but they very well could run the table.  I'm definitely not counting them out, but this has to be our year to beat them.   While it's always nice to see them lose, if they do end up beating EWU soundly, that is another feather in MVFC hat over Big Sky which is important come playoff time.  I know EWU was down last year, but they will likely be a little better this year and may end up getting a win over one or two of the top 6 Big Sky teams.   Plus I'd like NDSU's first loss this year to be to us.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

At SDSU, at UNI, at UND, and three they forget to set the alarm clock for? 

NDSU has one of the biggest cupcake schedules I've ever seen. I get you can't choose your conference opponents, but their OOC is a 3-8 EWU, a 2-9 Maine, and a 5-6 Central Arkansas. Add to that USD, Misery St, Western Illinois, and Murray St, and they play SEVEN opponents who had losing records last year. It would be an embarrassment to their program not to sleepwalk to the postseason.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I think them graduating two OL that made NFL rosters, one who will be starting....will be a bigger loss than Luepke.  In the past many have predicted their demise a couple of times, I never did because I know they always rebuild.  This is the first time though, it seems a little different due to many factors.  They realistically could lose 3 games this year, but they very well could run the table.  I'm definitely not counting them out, but this has to be our year to beat them.   While it's always nice to see them lose, if they do end up beating EWU soundly, that is another feather in MVFC hat over Big Sky which is important come playoff time.  I know EWU was down last year, but they will likely be a little better this year and may end up getting a win over one or two of the top 6 Big Sky teams.   Plus I'd like NDSU's first loss this year to be to us.  

Until UND beats them, I will not count them out for anything.

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

For the record, I'm not saying they WILL miss the playoffs, just that they could.  Their offense performed well last year, but it didn't look as good as former NDSU offenses.  Their D wasn't that great, and they also lost more on D than usual.  Normally NDSU is replacing guys who played for a more dominant team, and they have never had this many losses from the transfer portal either.  Things just seem different this year than in the past.

Missing entirely - highly unlikely, It would be nice to at least see them on the road earlier in the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Can we move this non UND talk to the appropriate topic????? I like the discussion but please don’t derail our discussion about how bad the coaching staff is and how UND football Fan knows more than all of us…..

Not “all of us” or everyone, but certainly more than you. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/commentary-und-football-has-to-walk-a-narrow-path-if-it-wants-to-make-a-deep-playoff-run

great article by Schlossman highlighting points I previously posted on here; if UND can’t upset a power like Boise, SDSU or NDSU, then making a playoff run is unlikely. Hence, if UND starts 2-2 (and doesn’t pull a big win against Boise or SDSU), then I expect this to be another plateau season going 0-1 or 1-1 in the post-season; highlighting the need for leadership change. 

Beat Boise or SDSU, and show us (and more importantly the playoff committee) that Bubba’s program has actually made progress since 2016 and not plateaued. 

Hopefully 2023 will be fun year

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/commentary-und-football-has-to-walk-a-narrow-path-if-it-wants-to-make-a-deep-playoff-run

great article by Schlossman highlighting points I previously posted on here; if UND can’t upset a power like Boise, SDSU or NDSU, then making a playoff run is unlikely. Hence, if UND starts 2-2 (and doesn’t pull a big win against Boise or SDSU), then I expect this to be another plateau season going 0-1 or 1-1 in the post-season; highlighting the need for leadership change. 

Beat Boise or SDSU, and show us (and more importantly the playoff committee) that Bubba’s program has actually made progress since 2016 and not plateaued. 

Hopefully 2023 will be fun year

Actually that article highlights what most of the rest of us said, we can't go 3-3 (losing to Boise St., SDSU, NDSU) or we are in trouble.  You've consistently said if we start 2-2 we are in trouble.  Huge difference between 2-2 and 3-3 and I'm not going to get into a pissing match about the reasons.   NDSU is a must win game IMO, even if we beat Boise St. or SDSU, we need to beat NDSU this year.  This comment doesn't mean I have low expectations and don't want to beat Boise St. or SDSU, just clarifying that this article highlights what most of us have been saying.  

I'm hoping it's a fun 2023 season too.....Go Hawks! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Actually that article highlights what most of the rest of us said, we can't go 3-3 (losing to Boise St., SDSU, NDSU) or we are in trouble.  You've consistently said if we start 2-2 we are in trouble.  Huge difference between 2-2 and 3-3 and I'm not going to get into a pissing match about the reasons.   NDSU is a must win game IMO, even if we beat Boise St. or SDSU, we need to beat NDSU this year.  This comment doesn't mean I have low expectations and don't want to beat Boise St. or SDSU, just clarifying that this article highlights what most of us have been saying.  

I'm hoping it's a fun 2023 season too.....Go Hawks! 

The Fighting Hawks are scheduled to play an FBS game on the road against Mountain West favorite Boise State as well as games against No. 1 South Dakota State and No. 2 North Dakota State. 

If UND does not pull an upset in any of those, a seed is likely out of the picture — even if it happens to run the table with its other eight games. No three-loss teams were seeded last season.”

@Sioux94: you shouldn’t have tried to rephrase or reinterpret this article, because by doing that you’ve started a possible pissing match (even with an empty disclaimer). Going 3-3 would definitely not be a good thing for UND, as the article states, but going 2-2 isn’t going to help either or guarantee anything - which is my point. Some of you goons will contest anything just to argue pointlessly. If you’re honest with yourself, you’ll easily see why there isn’t a huge difference between 2-2 and 3-3. Going 2-2 puts UND in a situation where they have to beat NDSU and win all their other road games, which is going to be incredibly challenging and unlikely based on what Bubba’s program has shown over the past decade. Losing to the powers (Boise, SDSU, NDSU) and going 3-3 means UND won’t get playoff seed, and that means less home playoff games, which are certainly needed for Bubba’s program to do anything considered monumental in 2023.  Going 2-2 means UND is likely going to also miss a seed, because they will have to beat both NDSU and @UNI. NDSU’s dynasty has feasted on home playoff games. So, once again, UND needs to start playing (and beating) the big boys or else UND needs new “big boy” leadership. Your misinterpretation of the article and my comments are noted … again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The Fighting Hawks are scheduled to play an FBS game on the road against Mountain West favorite Boise State as well as games against No. 1 South Dakota State and No. 2 North Dakota State. 

If UND does not pull an upset in any of those, a seed is likely out of the picture — even if it happens to run the table with its other eight games. No three-loss teams were seeded last season.”

@Sioux94: you shouldn’t have tried to rephrase this article, because by doing that you’ve started a possible pissing match (even with an empty disclaimer). Going 3-3 would definitely not be a good thing for UND, as the article states, but going 2-2 isn’t going to help either and guarantee anything - which is my point. Some of you goons will contest anything just to argue pointlessly. Going 2-2 puts UND in a situation where they have to beat NDSU and win all their other  road games, which is going to be incredibly challenging and therefore unlikely. Also, losing to the powers (Boise, SDSU. NDSU) means UND likeIy won’t get playoff seed, and more home playoff games, which is certainly needed for Bubba’s program to do anything considered monumental in 2023. NDSU’s dynasty has feasted on home playoff games. So, once again, UND needs to start playing with the big boys or else UND needs new “big boy” leadership. Your misinterpretation of the article and my comments are noted … again.

Schlossman states "If UND does not pull an upset in any of those (Boise St., SDSU, NDSU) a seed is likely out of the picture"   Well call me a goon then because that is the same thing I said lol.   I said we need to beat NDSU which is one of the three he said we need to beat.   Running the table to stay at only 2 losses the rest of the year doesn't give us much wiggle room I agree with you there.  I just think we still have a chance and all is not lost if we start 4-2, but then again I am just a Goon after all.  Going to crack a beer to get ready for Metallica tonight...and UND football tomorrow....and long weekend...great time of year! 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Schlossman states "If UND does not pull an upset in any of those (Boise St., SDSU, NDSU) a seed is likely out of the picture"   Well call me a goon then because that is the same thing I said lol.   I said we need to beat NDSU which is one of the three he said we need to beat.   Running the table to stay at only 2 losses the rest of the year doesn't give us much wiggle room I agree with you there.  I just think we still have a chance and all is not lost if we start 4-2, but then again I am just a Goon after all.  Going to crack a beer to get ready for Metallica tonight...and UND football tomorrow....and long weekend...great time of year! 

I want (and also think it is necessary in order to take the next step as a program) UND to start beating the top programs in the country. Why not start this season? All UND fans should want that, and I suspect that they do.  

Although I individually can’t force that into existence, I sure as hell know the masses can if everyone is on the same page. 

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I want (and also think it is necessary in order to take the next step as a program) UND to start beating the top programs in the country. Why not start this season? All UND fans should want that, and I suspect that they do.  

Although I individually can’t force that into existence, I sure as hell know the masses can if everyone is on the same page. 

I agree with you there, we do absolutely need more big wins against top programs.  And we need to stop having poor losses as well, and be more consistent overall.  We need a deep playoff run and start doing it year after year.  The goal is for us to get to the point where if we beat a top team, it's not a surprise or an upset.  This goon probably agrees with you more than you think. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think you struggle with a simple logical argument.  The entire point of schlossmans article and our previous comments, was that 3-3 is way different than 2-2.. if we start at 2-2 it is still possible to get to 9-2 and a home seed.  At 3-3 obviously that is no longer possible.  In order to get a home playoff seed we need to start knocking off teams that we would have historically lost to.

In rough order our toughest games this year are Boise State (on the road).. SDSU (on the road).. NDSU (at home) and UNI (on the road). One can make the argument that BSU and SDSU might be about the same with respect to toughness (we need to win at least 2 0f those 4 games).  So it is reasonable to not throw the season in the trashcan if we start out 2-2 whereas I will be quite disappointed if we start 3-3.

I havent read any commentary from anyone on this site that doesnt want to go 11-0 and doesnt want to beat BSU, SDSU, NDSU etc.. but it is clear.. 2-2 is way different than 3-3.  The only person misinterpreting the article seems to be you.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

I think you struggle with a simple logical argument.  The entire point of schlossmans article and our previous comments, was that 3-3 is way different than 2-2.. if we start at 2-2 it is still possible to get to 9-2 and a home seed.  At 3-3 obviously that is no longer possible.  In order to get a home playoff seed we need to start knocking off teams that we would have historically lost to.

1) No, actually, my argument seems to go way over your head. 

2) Schlossman’s article argues UND needs to beat good teams (Boise, SDSU and/or NDSU) in order to get a seed and play more home playoff games. It doesn’t mention 2-2 vs 3-3. Mathematically, 2-2 can still allow UND to get to 9-2, but probability-wise, that won’t happen. UND will almost certainly go 8-3 at best, and if the 3 losses are to Boise, SDSU, and NDSU, then there won’t be a seed and, as such, will be less playoff games. 

So it is reasonable to not throw the season in the trashcan if we start out 2-2 whereas I will be quite disappointed if we start 3-3.”

-- I adamantly disagree with this. It’s not about possibility, but rather probability. UND needs to knock off either SDSU or Boise. Otherwise, beating both NDSU and @UNI will be nearly impossible, for several reasons, including loss of confidence due to 2 game losing streak early in season.

3) as for “In order to get a home playoff seed we need to start knocking off teams that we would have historically lost to.”, that’s the point I made well in advance of this article coming out, Schlossman’s point aligns with mine, and now you’re coming out acting like I “struggle” with the very point I originally made.

4) bottomline, we as UND fans all want UND to start winning big games consistently and ultimately give us the opportunity to watch home playoff games and eventually travel to Frisco in January. I won’t support an argument that tries to make light of UND losing 2 games in a row, including 1 of those games being a conference game.