SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Nope.

Just one of many FB fans on here who are tired of reading your garbage.

Matter of perception. My “garbage” is often the painful truth, that no one wants to admit or fathom. We’ll agree to disagree. Alternatively, I don’t see you bringing anything fruitful to the discussion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Matter of perception. My “garbage” is often the painful truth, that no one wants to admit or fathom. We’ll agree to disagree. Alternatively, I don’t see you bringing anything fruitful to the discussion. 

Seriously you need to quit before the hole you are digging gets too deep! The horse has been dead for weeks now no point to keep beating it!

I want to see NDSU lose as much as anyone. Even Bison fans are tired of Winning. Still two chances left……

8 hours ago, siouxweet said:

For those in an uproar over NDSU hosting this weekend, this will be no walk in the park for them.  No guarantee they make it to Frisco.  This could be a track meet and their offense isn't designed for that.  

But their D does not allow the other team to run very fast in a track meet.

10 hours ago, siouxweet said:

For those in an uproar over NDSU hosting this weekend, this will be no walk in the park for them.  No guarantee they make it to Frisco.  This could be a track meet and their offense isn't designed for that.  

But if the Bison weren't hosting this weekend it would be even less of a walk in the park.   I'd love to see them on the road.

2 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

But if the Bison weren't hosting this weekend it would be even less of a walk in the park.   I'd love to see them on the road.

They don’t have the same home field advantage anymore. 14k at the dome isn’t gonna give them the same advantage they used to get when their fans gave a !@#$

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They don’t have the same home field advantage anymore. 14k at the dome isn’t gonna give them the same advantage they used to get when their fans gave a !@#$

At this point the advantage seems limited to sleeping in their own beds and what not.

2012 Georgia Southern dome energy has been gone for a very long time.

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU playoff attendance since 2011.  Now, looking at the numbers, you could saysince the COVID spring season, playoff attendance has dropped drastically.  That may be one reason.  But is that the only reason?  The home filed advantage is still there, don't get me worng.  But, the noise that the Bison defense has relied on in the past wont be a factor if there are only 12K at the game on Friday.  I mean, looking at the previous years, the last 2 years are pretty alarming. 

2022 2nd Round 12,929
  Quarterfinal 11.825

2021 2nd Round 12,557
  Quarterfinal 11,794
  Semifinal 16,550

2020 Quarterfinal 3587 *COVID*

2019 2nd Round 15,690
  Quarterfinal 18,077
  Semifinal 17,866

2018 2nd Round 17,007
  Quarterfinal 16,404
  Semifinal 18,286

2017 2nd Round 18,067
  Quarterfinal 17,008
  Semifinal 18,279

2016 2nd Round 18,305
  Quarterfinal 18,285
  Semifinal 18,282

2015 2nd Round 18,232
  Quarterfinal 18,041
  Semifinal 18,105

2014 2nd Round 18,113
  Quarterfinal 18,049
  Semifinal 18,025

2013 2nd Round 18,455
  Quarterfinal 18,219
  Semifinal 18,694

2012 2nd Round 18,482
  Quarterfinal 18,267
  Semifinal 18,484

2011 2nd Round 17,432
  Quarterfinal 18,111
  Semifinal 18,108

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

NDSU playoff attendance since 2011.  Now, looking at the numbers, you could saysince the COVID spring season, playoff attendance has dropped drastically.  That may be one reason.  But is that the only reason?  The home filed advantage is still there, don't get me worng.  But, the noise that the Bison defense has relied on in the past wont be a factor if there are only 12K at the game on Friday.  I mean, looking at the previous years, the last 2 years are pretty alarming. 

2022 2nd Round 12,929
  Quarterfinal 11.825

2021 2nd Round 12,557
  Quarterfinal 11,794
  Semifinal 16,550

2020 Quarterfinal 3587 *COVID*

2019 2nd Round 15,690
  Quarterfinal 18,077
  Semifinal 17,866

2018 2nd Round 17,007
  Quarterfinal 16,404
  Semifinal 18,286

2017 2nd Round 18,067
  Quarterfinal 17,008
  Semifinal 18,279

2016 2nd Round 18,305
  Quarterfinal 18,285
  Semifinal 18,282

2015 2nd Round 18,232
  Quarterfinal 18,041
  Semifinal 18,105

2014 2nd Round 18,113
  Quarterfinal 18,049
  Semifinal 18,025

2013 2nd Round 18,455
  Quarterfinal 18,219
  Semifinal 18,694

2012 2nd Round 18,482
  Quarterfinal 18,267
  Semifinal 18,484

2011 2nd Round 17,432
  Quarterfinal 18,111
  Semifinal 18,108

Not COVID. Look at 2018. That’s when the trend shifted.

14 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Seriously you need to quit before the hole you are digging gets too deep! The horse has been dead for weeks now no point to keep beating it!

I want to see NDSU lose as much as anyone. Even Bison fans are tired of Winning. Still two chances left……

There’s no figurative hole. 

Yes, I hope NDSU loses, but not putting any money on it. NDSU’s system has proven to work in FCS playoffs - time and time again. 

NDSU is currently (and has been for a few years) this incredibly unique situation. The NDSU fans have clearly said, we'll watch this blowout win at home. It's completely embarrassing for the FCS as a whole that outside of a select few, when playoffs roll around, nobody can even compete. It really is wild that you can say with 100% certainty in the Quarterfinals that one team is going to win. NDSU will win easily again on Friday. I do think that SDSU / Montana State can compete talent wise, so that one will be interesting in Frisco. Still would be shocked if NDSU doesn't win the title. 

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

NDSU is currently (and has been for a few years) this incredibly unique situation. The NDSU fans have clearly said, we'll watch this blowout win at home. It's completely embarrassing for the FCS as a whole that outside of a select few, when playoffs roll around, nobody can even compete. It really is wild that you can say with 100% certainty in the Quarterfinals that one team is going to win. NDSU will win easily again on Friday. I do think that SDSU / Montana State can compete talent wise, so that one will be interesting in Frisco. Still would be shocked if NDSU doesn't win the title. 

SDSU is straight up better than NDSU right now and were the last 2 years as well.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

My “garbage” is often the painful truth, that no one wants to admit or fathom. 

At the risk of getting myself flamed on here...I actually agree with you on a lot of aspects related to UND sports.  One thing I've found this fall is wanting better for this program than 7-4/6-5 is not popular with a lot of people!  The solution involves a lot of people and a lot of resources that starts at a level much higher than Bubba, and that's a vicious cycle.  UND's results don't inspire people to go to games/commit $$/etc...and without those $$ it's hard to invest more into the program to give it what it needs to thrive.  Meanwhile 7-4/6-5 isn't enough to make wholesale changes, especially when the current way of doing things is "cheap".  So from a business perspective the ROI is "acceptable"...but to fans like you and I who see NDSU's success and say "Why can't we do that?"...well it's a hard pill to swallow...  

If UND is going to catch up, it needs to catch lightning in a bottle and sustain some success at a level that's higher than they should currently be able to expect given their level of support.  Is Bubba in year 9 going to find that?  Doubtful...but if you make changes there's risk it could get much worse.  Seems like we are too risk averse to do anything different...so until something changes, my expectation is 7-4/6-5 and a further stagnation within the program.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

... The solution involves a lot of people and a lot of resources that starts at a level much higher than Bubba, and that's a vicious cycle.  ...  isn't enough to make wholesale changes, especially when the current way of doing things is "cheap".  So from a business perspective the ROI is "acceptable"... 

Someone I trust that has unique insights tells me much the same: The highest levels aren't making the commitment and are satisfied doing it on the cheap. 

• Upvote 3

Wanting better than 7-4/6-5 isn’t popular?  Anyone who believes that isn’t paying attention. For those who aren’t going to contribute when we are not doing as well as we would like, that’s ok but then let the rest of us move on. I think assuming that because one doesn’t agree with how we get to the Championship level means they are happy with 7-4, 6-5,8-3, 9-2 is wrong. For those who see the answer as coaching changes, you may be right. Some of us look at where we are, the contracts, the resources, the facilities and think we dug such a big hole waiting to move up that it is taking more time than we like. As our resources slowly improve, and we coaching changes not on the horizon, then some have decided we have to continue to be patient. I expect us to be better next year and I think we have resources in place to be better. I may be overly optimistic but it beats complaining over and over again about things I can’t control. What I can do is go to games and send money. I can encourage kids in my community to take advantage of the tremendous academic and growth opportunities at UND. It isn’t that rare that an athlete chooses a school where his or her friends/relatives/former teammates go (especially boyfriend/girlfriend).  Like I said I may be wrong and if so, I’m ok with that. If UND changes coaches or continues to support our staff I will support UND either way. 

• Upvote 3

What you are pointing out on lack resources for football is probably factual but it exists for other sports that UND supports as well with the exception of the hockey program. I am not wanting to start fight about hockey because the fact is this number one sport here at UND and with small midmajor programs it usually they have one core program and for UND it’s Hockey. For NDSU it’s there football program and just look at Fargo most of there capital expenditures have been going to football. Also look at the media only thing talked about sports in Fargo is their football program.and for Und it’s their hockey program. Und to help keep football somewhat competitive consumed several other sports like women’s hockey and baseball and kept other sports excluding basketball that were relatively cheap to fund and general public don’t follow much. The problem that Und finds itself in is how major college sports have changed through the portal and now NIL contracts for players and being in small market how that is going affect attracting top talent in the future. This why power donors are sitting back wondering what they will be asked in the future.  NDSU is probably in worse shape media has hyped them to go FBS But if they go there  can they come up  with support for football but when you change to FBS conference. The cost for other sports escalate to where even can their supporters come with that kind of money. Like for example you go from basketball coaches salaries go from 250,000. To $1,000,000 and this follows through your other coaches and then you add in guarantees to bring teams to play at home the whole overhead cost increase to point does football generate enough additional revenue to cover this jump. But getting back to Und and majority of teams of FCS they are where we are or even worse so this why we see staying status quo. I believe we’re back to where FCS schools were when they were division II.  The other problem we are located in upper Midwest in smaller population base and quite far from other institutions and to lot of fans they don’t understand it becomes difficult to play against other regions and become factor in national sports. This why I have stated  the Missouri Valley teams of the upper Midwest and Big Sky teams in mountains could create there own conference and the majority of public in this foot print would be more interested being winner of this conference and playing longtime rivals. So this why I think we’re going stay pretty much stat quo and continue make small improvements pretty much what SDSU has done in last 10 years with there coach and look close to getting to the top this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

What you are pointing out on lack resources for football is probably factual but it exists for other sports that UND supports as well with the exception of the hockey program. I am not wanting to start fight about hockey because the fact is this number one sport here at UND and with small midmajor programs it usually they have one core program and for UND it’s Hockey. For NDSU it’s there football program and just look at Fargo most of there capital expenditures have been going to football. Also look at the media only thing talked about sports in Fargo is their football program.and for Und it’s their hockey program. Und to help keep football somewhat competitive consumed several other sports like women’s hockey and baseball and kept other sports excluding basketball that were relatively cheap to fund and general public don’t follow much. The problem that Und finds itself in is how major college sports have changed through the portal and now NIL contracts for players and being in small market how that is going affect attracting top talent in the future. This why power donors are sitting back wondering what they will be asked in the future.  NDSU is probably in worse shape media has hyped them to go FBS But if they go there  can they come up  with support for football but when you change to FBS conference. The cost for other sports escalate to where even can their supporters come with that kind of money. Like for example you go from basketball coaches salaries go from 250,000. To $1,000,000 and this follows through your other coaches and then you add in guarantees to bring teams to play at home the whole overhead cost increase to point does football generate enough additional revenue to cover this jump. But getting back to Und and majority of teams of FCS they are where we are or even worse so this why we see staying status quo. I believe we’re back to where FCS schools were when they were division II.  The other problem we are located in upper Midwest in smaller population base and quite far from other institutions and to lot of fans they don’t understand it becomes difficult to play against other regions and become factor in national sports. This why I have stated  the Missouri Valley teams of the upper Midwest and Big Sky teams in mountains could create there own conference and the majority of public in this foot print would be more interested being winner of this conference and playing longtime rivals. So this why I think we’re going stay pretty much stat quo and continue make small improvements pretty much what SDSU has done in last 10 years with there coach and look close to getting to the top this year.

Since moving up to DI in 2007, I’d argue that UND athletics as a whole has become less relevant, as opposed to more relevant. That’s partly because of NDSU and SDSU’s success, and shifts in local media coverage, but also because UND leadership and boosters are satisfied with the status quo. Going DI in 2007 didn’t change much, if anything, for hockey. But it also hasn’t led to major accomplishments for other sports… which is beyond disappointing. UND needs to invest more. I’m happy with the improvements coming in terms of facilities, namely Pollard Athletic Center phase II and Memorial Village. But overall, despite the patience and realism talks we often get by the elder statesmen on here, the rate of successful change for non-hockey sports at UND is occurring at way too slow of a rate. NDSU and SDSU continue to ascend while UND stays put. Hopefully UND makes some progress on the field/court over the next few years, or else I fear long-term discrepancies could develop. I think it is fair to be cautiously optimistic, because NDSU as a whole is facing some issues right now, but UND can’t get any more complacent than they’ve been for the past 15+ years. In fact, they may need to stick their neck out just a bit more … just a wee bit.  

A big power/financial move that needs to happen in the future, whether that’s in 5 years or 15, is getting more television contract money. That would require UND to merge with an FBS conference, or create their own. Most realistic would be a Mountain West merger with some MVFC and Big Sky Conference teams, but that’s still a long shot. 

• Upvote 1