SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

37 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It just feels like NDSU is gonna score somewhere in the range of 35 pts, about a score above what we average giving up

Maybe, but I don't think its going to be quite as easy for them without Luepke. They should have kept him bubble-wrapped until the playoffs.
I do think that the cushion our defense gives the opposing WR's plays pretty well into Mattress Miller's strengths. Might have to get a little more aggressive and see if they can't force them to take some deep shots?
Anyone want to predict the probability of the back-up QB for each team throwing a pass when they come in for their short yardage plays?

43 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It is a rivalry game so anything can happen. Our D just need to play way above their normal level.

The favored team is statistically more, not less, likely to win "rivalry" games than games between random opponents. Which makes sense when you think about it...both teams are motivated and prepared to play their rival. Upsets are less likely.  

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Insider NDSU intel is that Luepke going for 2nd opinion and most likely done for the year. Gonna heal up for upcoming draft. 

From what I heard; he was in a sling after getting hurt. That's a big loss for NDSU, the guy is a load. 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:59 PM, Goon said:

It might be the same things as the UNO vs. UND in hockey scenario. The Omaha fans think that UND is their biggest rivalry, but I doubt the UND fans and players would think that UNO is a top rival.  

UNO was never close to being our big rival for all of the 20th century.

In terms of offense, SDSU > NDSU, right?  Is their running game similar, but SDSU has a better passing game?  I know UND can't let NDSU score 49 (like SDSU did) and expect to win.  Maybe holding them to under 35 

In terms of defense, would SDSU = NDSU be a fair statement?  UND put up 35 on SDSU.  Will need at least a repeat of that.

I've said it before, but 35 points is kind of where I see the tipping point of this game.  UND will likely need to score 35 just to keep pace, and NDSU will need to be held to less than 35.  I could see a tight game where each team is within a score of 35.  Hopefully we are the team with more points.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

In terms of offense, SDSU > NDSU, right?  Is their running game similar, but SDSU has a better passing game?  I know UND can't let NDSU score 49 (like SDSU did) and expect to win.  Maybe holding them to under 35 

In terms of defense, would SDSU = NDSU be a fair statement?  UND put up 35 on SDSU.  Will need at least a repeat of that.

I've said it before, but 35 points is kind of where I see the tipping point of this game.  UND will likely need to score 35 just to keep pace, and NDSU will need to be held to less than 35.  I could see a tight game where each team is within a score of 35.  Hopefully we are the team with more points.

Unfortunately, the offense (uncharacteristically) helped SDSU with 14 points.  The pick 6 and the fumble to start the 2nd half allowed SDSU's offense to get rolling.  The defense had played very well before the pick 6.  

We have made some good in-game defensive adjustments to slow down the offense.  I would say that we have struggled more with the wide-open passing offenses than the more traditional run game offenses. 

I think we can hold them to 24 offensive points on Saturday.  I think NDSU is going to try and limit possessions and play keep away from our offense as much as possible.  We need to get off of the field when we get them to 3rd down.  Just my 2 cents. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

TaMerik Williams is also a load (6'1", 230). Running the ball, TaMerik vs Luepke is a push.   

Size-wise? Yes.
Skillset? No. I don't think Williams can come out of the backfield or line up in different spots like Luepke can. 

Wasn't Williams banged up earlier in the year as well? He's gotten between 9-13 carries 4 of the last 5 games after only getting 2-5 the first 5 games. Can he handle a full game worth of carries as the lead back? He had a few with 15-18 touches last year.

21 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

I think NDSU is going to try and limit possessions and play keep away from our offense as much as possible.

I agree. I would think they would be weary of letting us have the ball for too long. Interestingly, that would also be our key strategy as well. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Size-wise? Yes.
Skillset? No. I don't think Williams can come out of the backfield or line up in different spots like Luepke can. 

Wasn't Williams banged up earlier in the year as well? He's gotten between 9-13 carries 4 of the last 5 games after only getting 2-5 the first 5 games. Can he handle a full game worth of carries as the lead back? He had a few with 15-18 touches last year.

Sure,the Bison would rather have Hunter available. but as I said, running the ball TaMerik, IMO, is a match for Hunter. Catching the ball out of the backfield probably not, but Williams can do that very well also. 

Don't expect that Hunter Luepke's absence will make a big difference. The Bison have an embarassing amount of talent at the RB postion. This game is about NDSU's O-line vs UND's D-line not who's carrying the ball. 

Also I would add that Tamerik had 772 yards and 12 TDs last year (476 and 6 this year). When they've given him the ball he has always stepped up and played well. No reason to think he won't do exactly that on Saturday.

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

We pretty much gave SDSU 28 points. Pick 6, Punt return to 10 yard line, fumble on around 15 yard line.  On-side kick returned for TD.  Also we recovered on on-side kick and our point total might be a little inflated just due to the fact they are up so big....they are probably playing a little more of a prevent type D.  

I think we can win if we play solid in all 3 phases....wait I will say 4.....Offense, Defense, Special Teams, coaching decisions in certain situations.   However if I had to predict I'd say 34-28 NDSU, unfortunately.  But that is why they play the games.....hoping this is the Mike Mooney game.  Although we ended the streak in GF last time, and in the back of my mind I was thinking 2023 was going to be the year.  I thought it would be with Feeney in 2023.....obviously 2023 will be Schuster....which is great as he is playing so well.  I see this game being similar to the 91 game....that game was a barn burner in Fargo that came down to the last play of the game where we were in the red zone but they stopped us on a play that pretty much fell apart from the snap.   Hegerle made a game saving TD tackle earlier in that last UND drive.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I see you have a fascination with small dicks.  Something you wanna tell us about?  

No you sent me those pics of your junk in private - I respect that - it's hard to put yourself out there and not have people LAUGH and LAUGH and LAUGH!  I won't be one of them little john - I got your back on that.