SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU @ UND 10/22/22

SiouxFan100

27 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

We all know this, but happy to see Sam tweet this info out today.

I would have been ok if he would have waited until after the game and tweeted that MVFC teams are 1-10 in the Alerus Center, as I'm hoping SDSU players are as confident as their fans that they are going to a cake walk on Saturday. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In the Bubba era (2014 till now) UND has given up an average of 21.6 points per game at home.  Only two times has a UND given up over 40 points at the Alerus Center and that was a 49-21 loss to Montana St in 2017 and a 47-44 win against South Dakota in 2016.  This season we are allowing just over 27 points per game at home.  We gave up 24 points last year in our loss to the Jacks in Brookings and only gave up 17 points when we beat them at home in the Spring season in 20/2.  

Can SDSU score 52 points gainst UND on Saturday?  I guess anything is possible.  But looking at the numbers, it is not very likely.  But what do I know.  I'm just a guy who looks at the numbers and the facts.  Not a blue and yellow glasses wearing podcaster! :D

SDSU has scored over 30 points twice this year, both at home, against Butler (45) and WIU (34). I sure hope that isn't the case, but I think that podcaster potentially doesn't understand how difficult scoring over 50 points is. It would take an all-out collapse from UND. Not only defensively, but offensively and ST's as well. 

Day before the game and I'm still conflicted. There are certain "BIG TIME" games that I have just a really hard time imagining UND winning. This is one of them. On the other hand, you cannot deny UND's record at home. Bye week, SDSU coming on the road for the 2nd week in a row, after their game against NDSU. 

My question is, after years of one step forward, one step back, are the stars aligning for this program? 

• Upvote 2

Can't remember the year off the top of my head, but 4-5 years ago Montana State came in ranked #2 or something.  And they were averaging like 250-300 yards on the ground or something like that and we were kind of weak against the run that year.  I thought they were going to run all over us, but the defense had the game of the year and we contained them on the ground and we won a low scoring game on the blocked punt we recovered in the end zone.  This year it's our pass defense that is suspect, can they step up like our run defense did that game?  That's what I'm hoping for! 

15 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Can't remember the year off the top of my head, but 4-5 years ago Montana State came in ranked #2 or something.  And they were averaging like 250-300 yards on the ground or something like that and we were kind of weak against the run that year.  I thought they were going to run all over us, but the defense had the game of the year and we contained them on the ground and we won a low scoring game on the blocked punt we recovered in the end zone.  This year it's our pass defense that is suspect, can they step up like our run defense did that game?  That's what I'm hoping for! 

2016.  Montana St. was ranked #9 in the country.  UND won 16-12.  And yes, it was a blocked punt that won the game.

18 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Just checked, I believe it was 2019 and Montana State was ranked number 9.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2016.  Montana St. was ranked #9 in the country.  UND won 16-12.  And yes, it was a blocked punt that won the game.

If I remember correctly, their QB had a post game press conference that made Joe Biden's public speaking skills look amazing.  It was all over the board and he abruptly ended his talk and walked off.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

If I remember right our DL was really banged up.  I think one or two NG DNP.  

Their QB was Troy Anderson.  Now LB in the pros.  But he couldn't throw much of a pass.

5 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If I remember right our DL was really banged up.  I think one or two NG DNP.  

Their QB was Troy Anderson.  Now LB in the pros.  But he couldn't throw much of a pass.

Yes I believe that is correct.  I was thinking when I said they were #2 that was too high, but I remembered they were for sure in the top 10.  You mentioning Anderson brings it back to me even better now, they had a total power running game, and yeah I think you're right our DL was banged up.  I remembered thinking.......man they are going to get 5-6 yards at a crack on us all day long, but that's not what happened.  

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Shocker: Chaves will be in the cities this weekend for the hockey series. 

I hate that m*therf*cker

he could go to Friday night game and be back in Grand Forks for Saturday football game. 

but, he doesn’t even try to hide where the focus is. Embarrassing, lazy, idiotic, illogical. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Shocker: Chaves will be in the cities this weekend for the hockey series. 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-hawk-talk-100915705/

huh? 
funny that is not at all what he said this morning.  

where did you get that information?  
he’s said he is going to tonights hockey game and wIll be back tomorrow for football, he also did the same 2 weeks ago.  
Care to revise?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, the green team said:

huh? 

he’s said he is going to tonights hockey game and wIll be back tomorrow for football, he also did the same 2 weeks ago.  
Care to revise?

If true, good to hear. As I stated above, this makes the most sense. Big game in Grand Forks for the football program, and Chaves needs to recognize that. 

27 minutes ago, the green team said:

And that's exactly what he should, namely, "shake babies and kiss hands" with both the hockey and football attendees. 

Edit: I listened to the noted podcast. Chaves went the Friday hockey versus Holy Cross, flew out Saturday morning to PIT, caught a ride from PIT to YSU with the AAD (CFO) who always goes with FB, and flew home with the FB team. Today (Fri) he's riding to MSP with AAD EM and coming back Sat morning for football. And somewhere in there he found time this week to tour UND with his senior in HS son*. 

*I strongly recommend administrators at UND do this periodically. It's really easy to miss what is happening outside your domain unless you take time to go and look around. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, the green team said:

huh? 

Care to revise?

Good to hear. Just the way it was presented at the luncheon today from Armacost it made it seem like he was there for the weekend but I’m happy to be wrong. 

On 10/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, AJS said:

48 Hours from kickoff, according to current tickets available from Ticketmaster.

• Total: 2119
    • Non-End Zone: 1021
    • End Zone: 1098 (Sections 218 / 201 / 209)

UND / Alerus does seem to randomly release more tickets. Section 201 had limited tickets at the beginning of the week and then last night they opened up more seats. I was following the ticket situation before the UNI game fairly closely. They did release a fair amount the night before. 

Based on following the UNI available tickets, there will be a bigger crowd this weekend. Hoping for a nice push here in the next 24 hours and the walk-up crowd will fill in the non-end zone sections.

24 Hours from kickoff, according to current tickets available from Ticketmaster.

• Total: 1863
    • Non-End Zone: 882
    • End Zone: 981
  • Upvote 2