SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2022

shep

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Name me a better option at QB for this team going into Saturday's game if it's not Tommy? 

.....the correct answer is there isn't one. 

For 2022,

you are correct.

although Simon Romfo has me curious for the future

Don’t sleep on the transfer portal in this day and age of college football …

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Tommy averaged 5.45 yards per play because UND was throwing quick high percentage passes. Think of it like running the ball and averaging 5.45 yards per run. We did that short passing because we could not protect Tommy long enough to throw further down the field. That short passing game though did move the ball and ate up a ton of clock, and kept UND in the game for 3 quarters. I would not say it wasn’t working. As our OL get better I’m sure we will be able to throw it down field more.

If you rewatch the game, there were called deep passes. They weren’t hit on; either missed throw or pressure/sack like you said.

That’s why the average YPA stayed low. There is some truth to that low number, it needs to improve.

More explosiveness = more points for our favorite team. 

hard to nickel-and-dime it down the entire field without a procedural penalty (especially on the road in front of 90,000) to screw up the drive.

At the Alerus Center, the nickel-and-dime it plan works a bit better as long as UND offense is disciplined throughout. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Our route tree in that game(and most of the last 2+ years) consists of short outs, shallow crossers, WR screens, stick routes and flat passes to backs.  Tommy had roughly as much time as the Nebraska qb in the duration of the game and on his biggest miss had no pressure. 

As for game plan, it’s the same every week, use lots and lots of shifts and motion, try and run the ball, throw short passes and then bring Q in for third or 4th and short.   It worked for 3 quarters, but at least be honest about what is happening on the field.  No called qb runs, no read option, and no deep or even middle range passing.  In 2022 it’s hard to win against good teams when that is the play book.

What is the story with Romfo?  I thought it was strange to bring him into the game at the end unless they think he may be a viable option this season.

The game was effectively over. I think they were just trying to get more players into the game in that environment. More of an experience thing than anything else at that point.

• Upvote 4

On 9/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, ND1 said:

Missouri Valley game of the week, no Midco Sports coverage.  ESPN + streaming only 

Checked last night. It's on espn3 which can be viewed on the espn+ app but from what I've read you also must be a subscriber to a carrier of ESPN such as cable, sling tv, or youtube tv. Some configuring is apparently needed, which I did using the excellent instructions on a website called Grounded Reason. I found Grounded Reason doing a Google search "espn3  on espn+" or something like that.

1 minute ago, TBR said:

Checked last night. It's on espn3 which can be viewed on the espn+ app but from what I've read you also must be a subscriber to a carrier of ESPN such as cable, sling tv, or youtube tv. Some configuring is apparently needed, which I did using the excellent instructions on a website called Grounded Reason. I found Grounded Reason doing a Google search "espn3  on espn+" or something like that.

Sling tv orange also has espn3. They may still have a seven day fee trial.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what does this say about danny's ability to recruit qb's (and wr's)....

Not sure it says anything. I think everyone at the time was happy with Schuster and Vaughn being recruited. Still pretty happy honestly. I get Schuster isn't going to blow you away and amaze you, he isn't flashy, but he wins. Feeney could still develop, who know. TBD. Hackel was expected to be more of a project, so we will see. I think this Wisconsin kid could be good, though I'm not expert. I'm hoping we keep his commitment, and he is the next guy; even if we have to bridge a year while he develops. Its not like the cupboard is bare.

Ideally, you have Schuster/Vaughm into Feeney, then Feeny and Kaminski can battle it out. Have a winning season and a playoff run and who know who you recruit next. College football is constant change and turnover.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just my opinion, I think we are going to be pretty decent at WR this year. Belquist is a stud. Maag has yet to live up to his potential, hoping it clicks soon. I don't want another Toivenen where he was good in college, but seemed to just pop after college. I get Toivenen is not an every Sunday player (yet), but he has made some catches that I couldn't imagine him making when he was at UND. His hand have really improved. Red Wilson was a great addition. I'm very excited to see what Klein can bring. I thinkg Wright will be a solid dependable receiver. Throw Marcus Preston in the mix. There are tools in the toolbox. Can't forget to mention Caden Dennis as a receiver I'd expect a lot of out next season.

Agree, outside of not having a burner I like the versatility with our current WR group and I think they will be good this year.  Hoping Klein can be the real deal and be that tall target we need, surprised he didn't see the field last week.  And I think Red will soon be known around the MVFC, sure hope so. 

Honest question because I didn't see any of their highlights or am I familiar with their WR's this year, who/whom are the burners on NDSU's roster that we would like on our team that would be game changers? 

We do need to be able to connect on some deep balls this year though, that don't require us to run a flea flicker to get the guy open. 

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Agree, outside of not having a burner I like the versatility with our current WR group and I think they will be good this year.  Hoping Klein can be the real deal and be that tall target we need, surprised he didn't see the field last week.  And I think Red will soon be known around the MVFC, sure hope so. 

Honest question because I didn't see any of their highlights or am I familiar with their WR's this year, who/whom are the burners on NDSU's roster that we would like on our team that would be game changers? 

We do need to be able to connect on some deep balls this year though, that don't require us to run a flea flicker to get the guy open. 

Get the run game rolling and the pass game will open up - like with Isaiah "Get outta my WAY-a" Smith!!  He's fast!

16 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I wanted a statement game this weekend against UNI....and would still love to have that.  But we just need to make sure we win...even if it's by 1 point.  

I would love a statement game, but for right now I am just hoping UND wins and is the better team in the 4th quarter. I know this is an emphasis (finishing games; be better in the 4th) but need to see it come to fruition. UND’s 4th quarters, including at the Alerus Center, have been not good the past season plus. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Kab said:

Will they have a better and synchronized team entrance this year. Could use some improvement from last year.

something that will get the alerus jumping 

That for the past 10+ years has been a topic of contention. UND and the Alerus Center just need to work together on it and get it right. 

Effort and vision (expectations), two keys pieces to a good result here and it is often lacking.

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure it says anything. I think everyone at the time was happy with Schuster and Vaughn being recruited. Still pretty happy honestly. I get Schuster isn't going to blow you away and amaze you, he isn't flashy, but he wins. Feeney could still develop, who know. TBD. Hackel was expected to be more of a project, so we will see. I think this Wisconsin kid could be good, though I'm not expert. I'm hoping we keep his commitment, and he is the next guy; even if we have to bridge a year while he develops. Its not like the cupboard is bare.

Ideally, you have Schuster/Vaughm into Feeney, then Feeny and Kaminski can battle it out. Have a winning season and a playoff run and who know who you recruit next. College football is constant change and turnover.

Feeney ship is sailing fast it sounds like … but time will tell.