SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2022

shep

13 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

LOL you really don't know FB do you.  Against a option team that's all you need to get boat raced.  

Oh shut it. You’re dating yourself. Your only credential is being a Fargo bizon rep so that doesn’t mean anything. Air Force was making plays all over the field; they were just way faster and more athletic than UNI.

oh, and by the way, since you know so much, you would know that defenses play against option football (meaning defensively they have adjust against players being optioned against) every single week. Options are in everyone’s playbook. Triple option, read option, jet option, inside veer, and even the newer RPO stuff. Sure the triple option flex bone packages used by the service academies are unique, but they have the same concepts. Watch the tape and stop being a know it all asshole; Air Force was getting to the edge on everything and blown assignments were only part of the program. Air Force just had way better athletes and that doesn’t say much for UNI …

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Not sure how you rank UNI after last week, FBS opponent or not. That was a pathetic performance.

What do you mean....UNI are the FCS poll darlings, they often move up even when they lose.  If UNI would have played you guys as close as we did last year, they would have been complemented by fans throughout the FCS saying.....damn UNI is really tough gave them a hell of a  game.....and they would have moved up a few spots in the polls.  

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

That’s all well and good but I wonder what @gundy1124 thinks about facing a legit burner and how it wreaks havoc on a defensive backfield. 

They are tough to play one on one. Don’t forget that only a small percentage of passes are thrown more than 25 yds downfield. Even running 40 yds you don’t cover much more ground in .4 sec much less .1-.2sec. Pass defense starts with the receivers coming off the line of scrimmage and the pressure on the QB. That’s why there are a number of WR in the NFL who run 4.5 and 4.6. The elite speed guys pose a unique challenge but it’s tough to run a 4.4 if you have a DB or LB jacking you up or forcing you off your route at the LOS. Changes your defensive schemes but pressure on the QB is a great neutralizer. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh shut it. You’re dating yourself. Your only credential is being a Fargo bizon rep so that doesn’t mean anything. Air Force was making plays all over the field; they were just way faster and more athletic than UNI.

oh, and by the way, since you know so much, you would know that defenses play against option football (meaning defensively they have adjust against players being optioned against) every single week. Options are in everyone’s playbook. Triple option, read option, jet option, inside veer, and even the newer RPO stuff. Sure the triple option flex bone packages used by the service academies are unique, but they have the same concepts. Watch the tape and stop being a know it all asshole; Air Force was getting to the edge on everything and blown assignments were only part of the program. Air Force just had way better athletes and that doesn’t say much for UNI …

LOL if you say so.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

They are tough to play one on one. Don’t forget that only a small percentage of passes are thrown more than 25 yds downfield. Even running 40 yds you don’t cover much more ground in .4 sec much less .1-.2sec. Pass defense starts with the receivers coming off the line of scrimmage and the pressure on the QB. That’s why there are a number of WR in the NFL who run 4.5 and 4.6. The elite speed guys pose a unique challenge but it’s tough to run a 4.4 if you have a DB or LB jacking you up or forcing you off your route at the LOS. Changes your defensive schemes but pressure on the QB is a great neutralizer. 

It’s not the actual deep ball though, it’s the threat of it. The defensive spacing changes because of it. Like I said in my other post, if we had a few more legit athletes out wide, guys like Bo would have a field day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Did I miss something or don’t we do many slot passes.

when   Dressler was on the team that’s how we beat N.Iowa when we were d2

No, Freund definitely goes to the slot plenty. In fact, Belquist (last year’s leading receiver) lines up there quite a bit. I’m excited to see what Red Wilson can do this season; he’ll line up some in the slot. He looked good all fall camp and was very quick against Nebraska’s secondary. He’s got a lot of potential if he can stay healthy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s not the actual deep ball though, it’s the threat of it. The defensive spacing changes because of it. Like I said in my other post, if we had a few more legit athletes out wide, guys like Bo would have a field day.

So you probably run a Tampa 2 with the deeper MLB if they have 2 or 3 “speed” guys or Cover 2 if they have one speed guy,  with your MLB in underneath coverage but then we are more vulnerable to the crossing routes. Tall athletic receivers pose problems as well, just different. I believe we have a food receiving group that allows us to be successful if we get them the ball.