SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2022

shep

1 hour ago, Hammersmith said:

ESPN3 confirmed.  I went to ESPN's website and found the game on their schedule.

To those not super knowledgeable about the difference and expecting to get the game because you're signed up for ESPN+, this doesn't necessarily mean you're not going to be able to watch the game, but it might mean one extra step to be prepared for. ESPN3 is linked to how you get your internet. If your internet service provider(ISP) subscribes to ESPN3, you get it(also if you have Xbox Live). If they don't, you don't. Most of the time, the ESPN video player is able to detect your ISP and unlocks access automatically. However, in some cases, you might have to log in to your ISP account as part of the process. I know I sure don't remember my ISP login and password offhand, so this is something I would test prior to gametime so I wouldn't be panicking at kickoff trying to get access under pressure.

In summary:

- check the official schedule for the correct broadcaster
- know your (in my case Midco ISP) username/password*

Always sound advice. Thanks Hammer. 

*I've had the situation where I wasn't home but put in my username/password and could get a game anyway. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In summary:

- check the official schedule for the correct broadcaster
- know your (in my case Midco ISP) username/password*

Always sound advice. Thanks Hammer. 

*I've had the situation where I wasn't home but put in my username/password and could get a game anyway. 

I don't think I've ever had to enter my ISP login/password at home, but I've done the same as you before and watched a game away from home because I was able to enter my ISP credentials. Very useful if you're watching on the road or over at friends/family and they don't get ESPN3.

Just now, Hammersmith said:

I don't think I've ever had to enter my ISP login/password at home, but I've done the same as you before and watched a game away from home because I was able to enter my ISP credentials. Very useful if you're watching on the road or over at friends/family and they don't get ESPN3.

Agree: At home it just "auto-detects". But having the ability to watch while sitting in an airport was nice. 

10 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UNI scares me with two positions:

D line and WR

lets hope we can overcome their strengths and come up with a big win at home 

I also think they are good enough in the secondary that they will be bringing pressure.   

Defense needs to play lights out.  A few turnovers could help.  

I know Tommy is the most talked about/scrutinized player on our team but that comes with the territory. To me he is a fine FCS quarterback, no better, no worse. The type of guy that will help assure you won't go 2-9 or 3-8 because he won't lose games for you, but you are also very doubtful to go 9-2 or 8-3 with him because he simply isn't the kind of athlete or arm talent that can make those 2-3 extra plays (via ground or air) a game you probably need to beat a top 10 FCS team or lower FBS team. So here we sit. This isn't to say he should be benched or we have a current better option available, I'm comfortable in the coaches decision that he gives us the best shot to win each week. It's more a matter of why don't we ever seem to get that difference maker at QB? I know everyone goes after them so they are hard to come by, but it seems we face several of them each year and it seems we have for as long as I can recall and I go back to about 1990 watching games. We've certainly had our share of competent and even good QB's, but how often have we had a difference maker that other teams have to game plan for?? 

With that said, I think we made a nice showing in Nebraska as far as not looking out of place, intimidated, or having first game jitters all which is a credit to the staff and players. I haven't seen too much on injuries for the most part coming out of Nebraska which was my biggest concern. So I do expect us to play well on Saturday and come out with a victory and have a chance at a good season. I just need to see more from a playmaking standpoint and I'm afraid we've seen enough tape now to just realize its probably not going to happen in the biggest/toughest spots. I hope I'm wrong and look very forward to a great Potato Bowl game and crowd!

• Upvote 3

I've been a "Tommy guy" for a long time here...but 5.45 yards per completion just simply isn't good enough (and I know that's not exactly an emerging issue with our offense).  I used to think that was on Danny, but watching the game we missed on a shot play early on the first drive (changed the trajectory of things), and any time we tried to go downfield after that either we couldn't connect or Tommy checked down.  He didn't look comfortable in the pocket to me at all, and looked much sharper in what I'd call the "quick game."

Now I'm going to give us the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to an FBS opponent with Big 10 level talent in their front seven.  I hope to see us look a lot more explosive this weekend.  UNI got gashed up front (albeit by one of the most potent rushing offenses in the FBS), but we need to establish the run and then pop a couple big plays over the top.  If we can find a way to do that consistently, we'll be "cooking with gas" in my book...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND1992 said:

I know Tommy is the most talked about/scrutinized player on our team but that comes with the territory. To me he is a fine FCS quarterback, no better, no worse. The type of guy that will help assure you won't go 2-9 or 3-8 because he won't lose games for you, but you are also very doubtful to go 9-2 or 8-3 with him because he simply isn't the kind of athlete or arm talent that can make those 2-3 extra plays (via ground or air) a game you probably need to beat a top 10 FCS team or lower FBS team. So here we sit. This isn't to say he should be benched or we have a current better option available, I'm comfortable in the coaches decision that he gives us the best shot to win each week. It's more a matter of why don't we ever seem to get that difference maker at QB? I know everyone goes after them so they are hard to come by, but it seems we face several of them each year and it seems we have for as long as I can recall and I go back to about 1990 watching games. We've certainly had our share of competent and even good QB's, but how often have we had a difference maker that other teams have to game plan for?? 

With that said, I think we made a nice showing in Nebraska as far as not looking out of place, intimidated, or having first game jitters all which is a credit to the staff and players. I haven't seen too much on injuries for the most part coming out of Nebraska which was my biggest concern. So I do expect us to play well on Saturday and come out with a victory and have a chance at a good season. I just need to see more from a playmaking standpoint and I'm afraid we've seen enough tape now to just realize its probably not going to happen in the biggest/toughest spots. I hope I'm wrong and look very forward to a great Potato Bowl game and crowd!

Tommy did not do anything in the Nebraska game that any other average FCS QB could not do.  His only attempt at a throw over 10 yards from LOS was very inaccurate to a wide open receiver.  He refuses to run and there were several times in that game that a QB draw would have been dynamite based on the Nebraska reaction to our alignment.  We needed Tommy to make a couple big plays during that game and we pull off the upset.  Ok, I'll shut up on Tommy now.

Hopefully we can take over the game on Saturday and big plays from QB will not be necessary.  A must win.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Name me a better option at QB for this team going into Saturday's game if it's not Tommy? 

.....the correct answer is there isn't one. 

You're right, but in the history of sports, no one is more popular than the backup QB.

Though, the illusory, imaginary great Coach willing to take over the team is way up there too.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tommy did not do anything in the Nebraska game that any other average FCS QB could not do.  His only attempt at a throw over 10 yards from LOS was very inaccurate to a wide open receiver.  He refuses to run and there were several times in that game that a QB draw would have been dynamite based on the Nebraska reaction to our alignment.  We needed Tommy to make a couple big plays during that game and we pull off the upset.  Ok, I'll shut up on Tommy now.

Hopefully we can take over the game on Saturday and big plays from QB will not be necessary.  A must win.

I just think the Tommy talk is beating a dead horse. I personally like Tommy but understand the qualms with him.

My question for those that are so anti-Tommy is what’s our other option? Seems pretty clear the coaching staff doesn’t trust Quincy to throw. Maybe Romfo has something? Clearly athletic, no clue on the arm. Our savior Feeney seems buried.

I don’t know, Tommy seems like he’s our best option and maybe that’s the frustration that we haven’t been able to recruit someone to push him more. Hopefully we can hang onto the Kaminski commitment and he can be our next guy if none of these others step up. 

6 hours ago, UND08 said:

I've been a "Tommy guy" for a long time here...but 5.45 yards per completion just simply isn't good enough (and I know that's not exactly an emerging issue with our offense).  I used to think that was on Danny, but watching the game we missed on a shot play early on the first drive (changed the trajectory of things), and any time we tried to go downfield after that either we couldn't connect or Tommy checked down.  He didn't look comfortable in the pocket to me at all, and looked much sharper in what I'd call the "quick game."

Now I'm going to give us the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to an FBS opponent with Big 10 level talent in their front seven.  I hope to see us look a lot more explosive this weekend.  UNI got gashed up front (albeit by one of the most potent rushing offenses in the FBS), but we need to establish the run and then pop a couple big plays over the top.  If we can find a way to do that consistently, we'll be "cooking with gas" in my book...

Tommy averaged 5.45 yards per play because UND was throwing quick high percentage passes. Think of it like running the ball and averaging 5.45 yards per run. We did that short passing because we could not protect Tommy long enough to throw further down the field. That short passing game though did move the ball and ate up a ton of clock, and kept UND in the game for 3 quarters. I would not say it wasn’t working. As our OL get better I’m sure we will be able to throw it down field more.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I just think the Tommy talk is beating a dead horse. I personally like Tommy but understand the qualms with him.

My question for those that are so anti-Tommy is what’s our other option? Seems pretty clear the coaching staff doesn’t trust Quincy to throw. Maybe Romfo has something? Clearly athletic, no clue on the arm. Our savior Feeney seems buried.

I don’t know, Tommy seems like he’s our best option and maybe that’s the frustration that we haven’t been able to recruit someone to push him more. Hopefully we can hang onto the Kaminski commitment and he can be our next guy if none of these others step up. 

Wonder if this is the plan.  

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Nebraska played deep coverage the whole game knowing we cant throw it deep. Between that and their D line pressure the took away and deep throws and gave us the short passes. What QB on our roster is going to overcome that with our young Oline? Which QB was the best to play based on what the defense was giving us? Tommy played well for what we were trying and able to do well.

I agree with most of this, but why play deep coverage is they know we can't throw it deep? Wouldn't they want to be in the intermediate areas instead?

Hoosman knows the right way to talk about his former team, a little different than the type of comments Weah was making about UND.  Below is from Tom Miller's article.  Glad we have Hoosman.  After that interception we had the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line, we ran two running plays...the first one we got 3 yards, the 2nd one he took it in for a score pretty much untouched.  We struggled quite a bit running the ball in the red zone last year.  Hoosman is a nice compliment to Smith. 

"They're a tough, gritty group," Hoosman said of his former team. "I remember long days in the winter and summer working out, and I know how they prepare. They're going to be mentally and physically on their game.

"We'll really see who wants it, and I think it'll come down to the fourth quarter."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UND08 said:

What plays were called?  How much time did he have, what was game plan? Think a little bit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Hoosman knows the right way to talk about his former team, a little different than the type of comments Weah was making about UND.  Below is from Tom Miller's article.  Glad we have Hoosman.  After that interception we had the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line, we ran two running plays...the first one we got 3 yards, the 2nd one he took it in for a score pretty much untouched.  We struggled quite a bit running the ball in the red zone last year.  Hoosman is a nice compliment to Smith. 

"They're a tough, gritty group," Hoosman said of his former team. "I remember long days in the winter and summer working out, and I know how they prepare. They're going to be mentally and physically on their game.

"We'll really see who wants it, and I think it'll come down to the fourth quarter."

perfect balance of i was with them but i'm here now....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

What plays were called?  How much time did he have, what was game plan? Think a little bit.

Our route tree in that game(and most of the last 2+ years) consists of short outs, shallow crossers, WR screens, stick routes and flat passes to backs.  Tommy had roughly as much time as the Nebraska qb in the duration of the game and on his biggest miss had no pressure. 

As for game plan, it’s the same every week, use lots and lots of shifts and motion, try and run the ball, throw short passes and then bring Q in for third or 4th and short.   It worked for 3 quarters, but at least be honest about what is happening on the field.  No called qb runs, no read option, and no deep or even middle range passing.  In 2022 it’s hard to win against good teams when that is the play book.

What is the story with Romfo?  I thought it was strange to bring him into the game at the end unless they think he may be a viable option this season.