SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Nebraska 9/3/22

SiouxFan100

19 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Well we've got tape on them and they got nothing on us - so there is that. I'm sure they held back on opening the play book in anticipation of playing us :) 

I'm still hoping they're preparing for NDSU but the Frost staff is probably not as misinformed as certain portions of the Lincoln media .

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It’s a day later and I still don’t understand the onside kick by Nebraska — 11 point lead and momentum and they opened the door.

It already has been and will continue to be an overemphasized area of critique all week in Nebraska. Frost will be looking to redeem himself on 9/3/22. Will Bubba’s squad be ready? I sure hope so…

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It already has been and will continue to be an overemphasized area of critique all week in Nebraska. Frost will be looking to redeem himself on 9/3/22. Will Bubba’s squad be ready? I sure hope so…

I very highly doubt it. Am I doing this right? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kab said:

The team will be ready

its a matter of who has the best athletes and who makes the most mistakes, players and coaches

hoping they do another onside kick 

Readiness and mistakes are related. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, as the good Ben Franklin supposedly said. 

I have followed Nebraska football quite closely over the years; been to handful of their games. Frost’s teams have been very mistake prone and sloppy, hence his below average record. UND’s road record under Bubba also hasn’t been very good, though. Something has to give. Nebraska certainly has more talent, but that still hasn’t produced winning results. I agree on mistakes being crucial to this game’s outcome and really all games, which is why I’ve referenced preparedness (“will Bubba’s team be ready?”). Nebraska coming off a trip to Ireland where they suffered a critical loss is a key point here for this game. Will be interesting for sure. 

1 hour ago, TBR said:

I'm still hoping they're preparing for NDSU but the Frost staff is probably not as misinformed as certain portions of the Lincoln media .

You really think they are in anyway thinking they're playing the Ag school and preparing for them?  Now that is delusional.

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Readiness and mistakes are related. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, as the good Ben Franklin supposedly said. 

I have followed Nebraska football quite closely over the years; been to handful of their games. Frost’s teams have been very mistake prone and sloppy, hence his below average record. UND’s road record under Bubba also hasn’t been very good, though. Something has to give. Nebraska certainly has more talent, but that still hasn’t produced winning results. I agree on mistakes being crucial to this game’s outcome and really all games, which is why I’ve referenced preparedness (“will Bubba’s team be ready?”). Nebraska coming off a trip to Ireland where they suffered a critical loss is a key point here for this game. Will be interesting for sure. 

They lose a ton of close games. Kinda wild. 

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Only when it doesn’t work. Poorly executed kick, one guy on receiving team was paying attention and covered the kick before kicking team could touch it. If it works, Nebraska maintains momentum and maybe can score to make it very difficult for Northwestern to get back in game. Not sure why they called it but it wasn’t expected. Nebraska coach maybe saw something or knew something about the game I didn’t. Easy to say it’s poor coaching,  but if it works, then it’s a genius move.  Not a bad time to try it when you have a 2 score lead. I probably would not have considered it but every failure isn’t poor coaching. Not a bad idea and if kicker executes the kick better or kicking team gets downfield and blocks the Northwestern guys ability to get to the ball, I think there is a good chance it works. 

It was a risky play when it wasn't necessary. Like the red zone pass by the Seahawks vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years back.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Such high expectations for UND football …

Disgusting. 

Are you kidding me, you just said this is your expectations for the Nebraska game......" I suspect the team to be awestruck and play sloppy".   Disgusting is right.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I have a feeling Nebraska was running up the score either way if given the opportunity.  Coaching staffs leash isn’t long enough whether they won or lost last week to simply beat UND by two scores

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Are you kidding me, you just said this is your expectations for the Nebraska game......" I suspect the team to be awestruck and play sloppy".   Disgusting is right.  

I want UND to win. Would be awesome. For that to happen, UND, Bubba, his team need to expect to win. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think UND will win.

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Only when it doesn’t work. Poorly executed kick, one guy on receiving team was paying attention and covered the kick before kicking team could touch it. If it works, Nebraska maintains momentum and maybe can score to make it very difficult for Northwestern to get back in game. Not sure why they called it but it wasn’t expected. Nebraska coach maybe saw something or knew something about the game I didn’t. Easy to say it’s poor coaching,  but if it works, then it’s a genius move.  Not a bad time to try it when you have a 2 score lead. I probably would not have considered it but every failure isn’t poor coaching. Not a bad idea and if kicker executes the kick better or kicking team gets downfield and blocks the Northwestern guys ability to get to the ball, I think there is a good chance it works. 

Risk/reward was bad . Nebraska had taken control of the game at that point, scoring 2 quick tds to start the second half.  The failed onside gave northwestern some momentum and great field position.  5 plays later northwestern scored and was back in the game..  Nebraska never had the momentum back the rest of the game.

IMO it was an unwarranted risk.  I would have been a bigger proponent if Nebraska was having trouble stopping Northwestern offense, but that was not the case at that point.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It’s a day later and I still don’t understand the onside kick by Nebraska — 11 point lead and momentum and they opened the door.

The kick decision didn’t lose the game. Their inability to stop Northwestern is what lost the game. No reason they shouldn’t have scored more points in the 4th qtr.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It was a risky play when it wasn't necessary. Like the red zone pass by the Seahawks vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years back.

the word risk or stupid doesn't describe that play.................anyone wonder if the mafia doesn't run the NFL only needs to look at one play and that's it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That is true. I wouldn’t have tried it but if you are going to, I think that wasn’t a bad time. I doubt it was expected. Well played by the Northwestern guy and poorly executed by Nebraska. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Risk/reward was bad . Nebraska had taken control of the game at that point, scoring 2 quick tds to start the second half.  The failed onside gave northwestern some momentum and great field position.  5 plays later northwestern scored and was back in the game..  Nebraska never had the momentum back the rest of the game.

IMO it was an unwarranted risk.  I would have been a bigger proponent if Nebraska was having trouble stopping Northwestern offense, but that was not the case at that point.  

Points well taken. Obviously it didn’t work but we may disagree as to whether it’s poor coaching or not. I don’t buy into the thought that every poor play or call that doesn’t work is poor coaching. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Points well taken. Obviously it didn’t work but we may disagree as to whether it’s poor coaching or not. I don’t buy into the thought that every poor play or call that doesn’t work is poor coaching. 

However the execution of said play is partially coaching - hell, mainly coaching.  Well coached teams execute.  

9 hours ago, NDRA said:

You really think they are in anyway thinking they're playing the Ag school and preparing for them?  Now that is delusional.

Go back and read for comprehension.