SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry for no paragraphs.  Rambled a bit but its family time.

2023 isn't 2022.  Results change from year to year.  If you look at the 2022 schedule, besides NDSU, which is usually a loss for everyone no matter where the game is played, UND played all of the toughest MVFC teams on the road and lost by a touchdown or less in all of the losses.  If those games are at the Alerus Center, the result likely changes in at least a couple of them, and in 2023, many of those games are also at home.  Looking at the SDSU game as a barometer, UND played a tight game there and had SDSU on the ropes, without Matt Walletzco, and while SDSU also had their star RB back.  UND's OL was probably the biggest issue last year, as we couldn't move the ball at all on short yardage - that position group will be much better this season as Craig Orlando is finally back (was projected to start before getting hurt in fall) and we have other transfers coming in, along with the young guys getting older/stronger/better.  Yes Matt will be gone, but UND did well AT SDSU without him, and this position group isn't coming off a summer that gutted essentially our entire line.  Yes, Otis is gone, but the replacements last year actually had better stats then him, and the UNI guy is coming in and will help us on short yardage situations.  UND is losing a dynamic RB, but the RB they are losing already missed a few games last year and was likely a distraction to the team.  Defense will be about the same (good).  Worst case scenerio, Schuster will be our QB (meaning no suprises and is good enough to beat him out), but he has proved to be an accurate passer and good decision maker, and with a little bit more experience, he may actually start to use is feet which we saw a bit more from him at the end of the season last year, and he is quick enough to be very effective there, especially with how much he rolls out of the pocket to throw.  UND also lost guys over the off season, but I think less so than most, and SDSU for example lost like 5-6 guys that either got drafter or earned NFL tryout offers.  Looking at the last two SDSU games and seeing that 2023 SDSU is at the Alerus Center, I don't see any reason to believe that game isn't at least a toss up, which is a lot better odds than most teams in the top 25 would have.  2023 isn't last year.  This team had the talent to win every game and being that I think UND is about the same or better at most positions, I don't see how UND doesn't deserve to be ranked, especially if UND's performance last spring means anything.

Those that vote in the polls don't have interest or access to deep dives on teams outside their radar, easy to just mail it in based on last year's results. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Those that vote in the polls don't have interest or access to deep dives on teams outside their radar, easy to just mail it in based on last year's results. 

I agree, and we were not a in the playoffs last year so I wasn't really expecting to be ranked. We haven't been good consistently enough to get any benefits of the doubt from most.  If we have a decent showing at Nebraska and beat UNI we will be ranked. If we lose to UNI and we were ranked #20 at the start of the season we would  drop out of the poll anyway. Need to go 2-1 to start the season. I will not be surprised though if UNI is ranked ahead of us the week after that game even if we beat them.

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry for no paragraphs.  Rambled a bit but its family time.

2023 isn't 2022.  Results change from year to year.  If you look at the 2022 schedule, besides NDSU, which is usually a loss for everyone no matter where the game is played, UND played all of the toughest MVFC teams on the road and lost by a touchdown or less in all of the losses.  If those games are at the Alerus Center, the result likely changes in at least a couple of them, and in 2023, many of those games are also at home.  Looking at the SDSU game as a barometer, UND played a tight game there and had SDSU on the ropes, without Matt Walletzco, and while SDSU also had their star RB back.  UND's OL was probably the biggest issue last year, as we couldn't move the ball at all on short yardage - that position group will be much better this season as Craig Orlando is finally back (was projected to start before getting hurt in fall) and we have other transfers coming in, along with the young guys getting older/stronger/better.  Yes Matt will be gone, but UND did well AT SDSU without him, and this position group isn't coming off a summer that gutted essentially our entire line.  Yes, Otis is gone, but the replacements last year actually had better stats then him, and the UNI guy is coming in and will help us on short yardage situations.  UND is losing a dynamic RB, but the RB they are losing already missed a few games last year and was likely a distraction to the team.  Defense will be about the same (good).  Worst case scenerio, Schuster will be our QB (meaning no suprises and is good enough to beat him out), but he has proved to be an accurate passer and good decision maker, and with a little bit more experience, he may actually start to use is feet which we saw a bit more from him at the end of the season last year, and he is quick enough to be very effective there, especially with how much he rolls out of the pocket to throw.  UND also lost guys over the off season, but I think less so than most, and SDSU for example lost like 5-6 guys that either got drafter or earned NFL tryout offers.  Looking at the last two SDSU games and seeing that 2023 SDSU is at the Alerus Center, I don't see any reason to believe that game isn't at least a toss up, which is a lot better odds than most teams in the top 25 would have.  2023 isn't last year.  This team had the talent to win every game and being that I think UND is about the same or better at most positions, I don't see how UND doesn't deserve to be ranked, especially if UND's performance last spring means anything.

Good points in your post.  I think the question for UND fans and the pollsters is will UND be the team from the first half of spring 2021 or will it be the team from the last half of spring 2021 and the fall of 2021.  I think defense may take awhile to find its way, with several multi year starters to replace.  Offense needs to come out of the gates fast with improved OL play and QB play.

17 hours ago, shep said:

You had me until your last line.

If 2022 isn't 2023 then last spring isn't 2023 either.

I get it what you're saying, but my point is that the talent is there.  If not for a bizarre finish vs Missouri State (99.9% odds of winning) and our kicker going down before the SIU game (3 missed field goals I believe) we would probably be ranked.  Yes those are excuses for L's in 2022, but it doesn't take away from the fact that UND was good enough for us to talk about how we should have won these games or others, nearly all of which being road games by the way.  Being that it's the past, the Wins and Losses from the past two season no longer mean anything, right.  My main point that the team has shown over the past couple seasons that they are good enough to play to within a score or better than the best teams in the country, and the consensus seems to be that our team skill is about the same.  So to me, that means that UND should again be about as good as the best teams in the country, only we now get to play more of the better teams at home.  Playing at the Alerus vs some of the better teams will make a difference, and given the overall talent level of our team the past couple seasons, and without surprise OL departures (with no time to find replacements), I don't see why UND shouldn't be expected to be a top 25 team this year, especially with the major talent some of the other teams have lost.

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I get it what you're saying, but my point is that the talent is there.  If not for a bizarre finish vs Missouri State (99.9% odds of winning) and our kicker going down before the SIU game (3 missed field goals I believe) we would probably be ranked.  Yes those are excuses for L's in 2022, but it doesn't take away from the fact that UND was good enough for us to talk about how we should have won these games or others, nearly all of which being road games by the way.  Being that it's the past, the Wins and Losses from the past two season no longer mean anything, right.  My main point that the team has shown over the past couple seasons that they are good enough to play to within a score or better than the best teams in the country, and the consensus seems to be that our team skill is about the same.  So to me, that means that UND should again be about as good as the best teams in the country, only we now get to play more of the better teams at home.  Playing at the Alerus vs some of the better teams will make a difference, and given the overall talent level of our team the past couple seasons, and without surprise OL departures (with no time to find replacements), I don't see why UND shouldn't be expected to be a top 25 team this year, especially with the major talent some of the other teams have lost.

Oh I agree with a majority of your points, and I'm with you in the hope for a better season this year.

The MAIN issue as noted by Kelly Howe in his analysis is the OL and DL and I think both will be better this season. The Hogs are the key in the MVC as evidenced by the team south of GF.

I love summer and hope to enjoy many sunny days, but I'm looking forward to this season like no other.

• Upvote 2

Kolpack on Izzo this morning said bison are as good as gone as soon as they get the invite from MWFC. That’s what they have been building  for for the last 10 years. Don’t need sdsu to go with them.

hurry up and wait. 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Kolpack on Izzo this morning said bison are as good as gone as soon as they get the invite from MWFC. That’s what they have been building  for for the last 10 years. Don’t need sdsu to go with them.

hurry up and wait. 

mwfc?  

mwc?

mvc?

midcon conference?

summit football?

gateway football conference?

i'm confused.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

hurry up and wait. 

how many yes's would they need from the mountain west?

wyoming-no

boise state-no

colorado state-no

unlv-hard no

san diego state-hell no

new mexico-nope

air force-nope

utah state-maybe

sjsu-nope

fresno state-who...nope

nevada-nope

hawaii-we don't like going into canada...nope

1-maybe

11-no's

am i missing something?

• Upvote 1

I agree none those schools want to travel that much especially to norther Midwest. If schools up here are wanting to move up FBS football it will need to be creation of new conference of teams from the area. That would be NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Iowa, Montana State, Montana, Northern Colorado, Then possiblility of IDaho's, Weber, Southern Illinois, Missouri State,  and i am probably missing someone but i think this is how schools now move up to FBS football. I think it will take initiative of schools from Summit and Big Sky to get this done.

1 minute ago, ND-fan said:

I agree none those schools want to travel that much especially to norther Midwest. If schools up here are wanting to move up FBS football it will need to be creation of new conference of teams from the area. That would be NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Iowa, Montana State, Montana, Northern Colorado, Then possiblility of IDaho's, Weber, Southern Illinois, Missouri State,  and i am probably missing someone but i think this is how schools now move up to FBS football. I think it will take initiative of schools from Summit and Big Sky to get this done.

where's fenton?

No one is going to invite a school that takes more from the pie than they would bring. And even then, it would need to be enough to move the needle. Math isn't that hard. And that's not happening in the MWC at this point. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No one is going to invite a school that takes more from the pie than they would bring. And even then, it would need to be enough to move the needle. Math isn't that hard. And that's not happening in the MWC at this point. 

if the mwc wanted into the dakota's they would be going after augie.......bigger upside (sanford money)........

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how many yes's would they need from the mountain west?

wyoming-no

boise state-no

colorado state-no

unlv-hard no

san diego state-hell no

new mexico-nope

air force-nope

utah state-maybe

sjsu-nope

fresno state-who...nope

nevada-nope

hawaii-we don't like going into canada...nope

1-maybe

11-no's

am i missing something?

The top of the MWC is jumping ship to the Big 12 and Pac 12 and they are going to set sail with the P5.  The remaining MWC is going to merge with the Top of FCS.  The new MWC is going to be a distinction without a difference from the MWFC.

6 hours ago, Kab said:

hurry up and wait. 

Just gave it a listen. This post was a little misleading. Kolpack when talking about the IPF did say they have been building for the past 10 years and that NDSU would accept a Mountain West invite if it was extended. You did fail to mention that Kolpack said he doesn't think the invite is going to happen.