SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

And in the contest that everyone really cares about, UND looks to be a lock for 59th place in team save percentage, which currently sits at .880%.

But could a string of strong goaltending performances see UND moving past Dartmouth (.884%) for 58th place? Could a few terrible outings result in UND dropping below Princeton (.877%) for 60th place, or even below Air Force (.875%) for 61st (i.e., last) place?

What will happen? Where will UND end up? Only time will tell, so stay tuned!

https://www.grandforksherald.com/podcasts/und-hockey-podcast

At about the twenty minute mark of this podcast, Schlossman addresses the differences in the number and quality of cameras and camera angles from arena to arena within the conference. He cited the offsides challenge made by Berry in the road game at DU where DU scored as well as the Friday night game at CC where it appeared a CC player facemasked Hain. 

This begs the question, why isn’t there a uniform expectation of consistency among arenas to provide the same number of cameras and technology??!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

This begs the question, why isn’t there a uniform expectation of consistency among arenas to provide the same number of cameras and technology??!

Ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho ...

Oh. Wait. You're serious. 

Because as much as the NCHC preaches "all in" some of the programs get the same or less media attention than AHA schools. Some are lucky to have net overheads and a center ice primary camera they do have. 

In contrast, I fully expect fixed blue line cameras in REA soon because of the interesting view they give, just like the REA in-net cameras. Those (net or blue line) aren't even on the radar in half the league. 

• Upvote 1

I sent an email to Ms. Weems before the season and wished her much success. Oh, and BTW, the area that needs the most improvement is NCHC.TV. I realize that she doesn't have control over what the schools do with their broadcasts, but a little encouragement wouldn't hurt. Isn't it Omaha where they switch away from the play to cover a player leaving the penalty box?

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

I sent an email to Ms. Weems before the season and wished her much success. Oh, and BTW, the area that needs the most improvement is NCHC.TV. I realize that she doesn't have control over what the schools do with their broadcasts, but a little encouragement wouldn't hurt. Isn't it Omaha where they switch away from the play to cover a player leaving the penalty box?

My favorite is showcasing their cool in the corner camera that doesn't cut away quickly enough to watch a player all alone in the slot with a great scoring chance.  To be honest, I've seen UND broadcasts get caught doing this so maybe my expectations are too high for college hockey. 

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

My favorite is showcasing their cool in the corner camera that doesn't cut away quickly enough to watch a player all alone in the slot with a great scoring chance.  To be honest, I've seen UND broadcasts get caught doing this so maybe my expectations are too high for college hockey. 

I thought the Midco coverage wasn't up to their usual standards this past weekend, but they have set the bar pretty high.

• Upvote 2

Too many crews think they are better than they are.

Even CBC (HNIC) and other NHL coverage doesn't change live cameras or live zoom in on play as much as some of these folks try. 

It's OK to stay back (zoomed out on zone) on puck and only use the other angles for replays. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yes and I hate that. 

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yes. It gives me whiplash in my eyeballs.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho ...

Oh. Wait. You're serious. 

Because as much as the NCHC preaches "all in" some of the programs get the same or less media attention than AHA schools. Some are lucky to have net overheads and a center ice primary camera they do have. 

In contrast, I fully expect fixed blue line cameras in REA soon because of the interesting view they give, just like the REA in-net cameras. Those (net or blue line) aren't even on the radar in half the league. 

Wasn't one of the founding principles of the NCHC that the schools in it put hockey #1 on the food chain in their respective athletic departments?

https://www.uscho.com/2023/03/07/north-dakotas-blake-earns-unanimous-selection-to-2022-23-nchc-all-rookie-team/

I assume (?) that being he was the only unanimous selection that means he will also be the NCHC RoTY?
Regardless, congrats to Blake on making the NCHC All-Rookie team!  A great group of NCHC rookies this year (especially forwards).

2022-23 NCHC All-Rookie Team
F: Jackson Blake, North Dakota – 45 points (15 first-team votes)
F: Ryan McAllister, Western Michigan – 43 (14)
F: Ben Steeves, Minnesota Duluth – 39 (12)
D: Joaquim Lemay, Omaha – 37 (11)
D: Jacob Guevin, Omaha – 35 (11)
G: Kaidan Mbereko, Colorado College – 36 (10)

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2023 at 11:38 AM, Kevin G said:

If anyone happens to be driving through PR (Park River) this weekend, please confirm that @Goonis enjoying his vacation!

I actually watched Saturday's game from the middle of the Caribbean on my way back to port in San Juan, and most of the third period in a theater on ship waiting for a musical on Friday night. I think there's a small sliver of hope UND can do well this weekend. It will be a tall order for them to win the Frozen Faceoff. I think if they could pull it off it would give this team some momentum in 2023-24.