SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

WMU senior backup goalie Austin Cain is going to use his "Covid year" at Providence. 

Seems a clear tell that Bussi is the man now at WMU. 

The freshman they had last year was better the Cain and he could end up being the #1 goalie

I've long said there needs to be at least 10 more D1 hockey programs given the amount of talent that is out there capable of playing at the D1 level.  Glad to see this quote in that article:

"You could easily put together 9-10 teams of competitive division one talent that would make the haves in this sport sweat."

I'm going to add to that and say that we need about 20 new NCAA D1 programs and an exponential number of that added to D3 and probably a large expansion of D2 given the amount of talent that is out there being developed in the youth and junior ranks right now.  The number and quality of players is only increasing every single year.  For the good of the sport and it's growth there needs to be more opportunities in NCAA hockey.

There are over 560,000 players registered with USA Hockey.  There are 61 Division I teams, 14 Division II, and 84 Division III.  For comparison, there are 74 Division I men's lacrosse teams, 75 Division II, and 248 Division III.  There are about 750,000 youth lacrosse players in the country.  That is a huge difference in college opportunities available to lacrosse players vs hockey players for a player pool that is not that far apart in participation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I've long said there needs to be at least 10 more D1 hockey programs given the amount of talent that is out there capable of playing at the D1 level.  Glad to see this quote in that article:

"You could easily put together 9-10 teams of competitive division one talent that would make the haves in this sport sweat."

I'm going to add to that and say that we need about 20 new NCAA D1 programs and an exponential number of that added to D3 and probably a large expansion of D2 given the amount of talent that is out there being developed in the youth and junior ranks right now.  The number and quality of players is only increasing every single year.  For the good of the sport and it's growth there needs to be more opportunities in NCAA hockey.

There are over 560,000 players registered with USA Hockey.  There are 61 Division I teams, 14 Division II, and 84 Division III.  For comparison, there are 74 Division I men's lacrosse teams, 75 Division II, and 248 Division III.  There are about 750,000 youth lacrosse players in the country.  That is a huge difference in college opportunities available to lacrosse players vs hockey players for a player pool that is not that far apart in participation.

I wonder how much of this is "cheaper and easier to grow grass outside than to freeze water inside", especially at the D2 and D3 levels.  Interesting stats though.    

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2021/05/24/um-panel-recommends-name-change-yost-ice-arena/5239098001/

If UND ever winds up playing in Ann Arbor, it probably won't be named Yost any longer by then. Domino's Rink at Berenson Arena!

No ....

Berenson Rink at Domino's Arena. ;)  :( 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Sucks that it happened, but it sure would have been nice of the administration to have cut the program earlier in the year so the athletes could get a better chance to transfer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out from the announcement.  I want to say it's COVID related and they just can't afford it but that's not really coming through in the statement.  In fact, it has a "because we felt like it" attitude to it.  Some excerpts.

"The Beyond 100 plan includes a focus on diversity and inclusion, more campus events, and a reorganization of its athletics programs."

So they're cutting hockey to appeal to "diversity and inclusion".  In other words, "we're getting rid of "white" sports"?  Celebrating 100 years as a school by cutting programs?  Doesn't make sense to be celebrating cutting programs as an accomplishment, which is the overall tone of this announcement.

"The university is currently running 26 percent ahead of last year’s pace in deposits for first-time freshmen for the fall semester. Among the university’s other recent milestones was surpassing its goal in its record-setting $100 million fundraising campaign, nearly a year ahead of schedule. Thus far RMU has raised $108 million for its RMU 100: Ready to Rise campaign. That includes a $3 million gift from Netflix founder Reed Hastings to fund 20 full-tuition scholarships."

Doesn't appear money is an issue at RMU...

RMU Charts Strategic Course Headed into its Centennial Year | Robert Morris University

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out from the announcement.  I want to say it's COVID related and they just can't afford it but that's not really coming through in the statement.  In fact, it has a "because we felt like it" attitude to it.  Some excerpts.

"The Beyond 100 plan includes a focus on diversity and inclusion, more campus events, and a reorganization of its athletics programs."

So they're cutting hockey to appeal to "diversity and inclusion".  In other words, "we're getting rid of "white" sports"?  Celebrating 100 years as a school by cutting programs?  Doesn't make sense to be celebrating cutting programs as an accomplishment, which is the overall tone of this announcement.

"The university is currently running 26 percent ahead of last year’s pace in deposits for first-time freshmen for the fall semester. Among the university’s other recent milestones was surpassing its goal in its record-setting $100 million fundraising campaign, nearly a year ahead of schedule. Thus far RMU has raised $108 million for its RMU 100: Ready to Rise campaign. That includes a $3 million gift from Netflix founder Reed Hastings to fund 20 full-tuition scholarships."

Doesn't appear money is an issue at RMU...

RMU Charts Strategic Course Headed into its Centennial Year | Robert Morris University

Whats funny is that they are adding a PR major.

Speculation I saw on another discussion about RMU dropping hockey is that their facility may be in need of some major work (new ice plant and new roof as the facility is pushing 25 years)?  From the CHN article:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2021/05/26_Robert-Morris-U-Announces.php

"The decision to discontinue the men’s and women’s ice hockey programs was made based on an analysis which included scholarships and operating costs, and the necessary investments to maintain and improve the current facility," the school said in a statement.