SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

That phenomenon goes back a long ways.  I think it starts with John Mariucci, who wanted to play a team of only Minnesota guys.  That fed the local ego (and still does).   So, anytime they lose, rather than admit the other guys were better, they have a tantrum.   That also started with Mariucci, who refused to play Denver for over a decade.  I recall being startled at being called a Communist on my first visit to Williams Arena in 1979, after UND won the WCHA title, and so I asked "why"?  "Because of all the Canadians you have."  And its still there ... people saying "U-Minnesota has more guys in the NHL than any other school"/"well no they don't and its not even close".

There was a good three-part series on Letsgodu! page about the history of Pios hockey and in part I, they talked about Mariucci and how he wouldn’t or didn’t want to play Denver because of all their big, “rough and tumble” Canadian men and that it wasn’t fair to all his American “boys.” 

“The rough and tumble players from Thunder Bay!” 

7F872C1F-A13A-4895-AB67-02F6F1BE4A52.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I lurked a bit last night. I read some-not a lot, but some-comments from Gopher fans complaining about the average age of the Mankato players.

To my knowledge, MSU hasn’t violated any recruiting rules or NCAA rules and the Gophers are free to recruit and retain the same types of players as the Mavericks do so I ask myself, why do they have a beef with who’s on the MSU roster? 

They are the biggest babies over there.  Talking about overage in one breath then turning around and say they will take this or that player for an extra Covid year.  Would they take Ben Meyers back as a 1998 born player?  You bet they would, in fact they would take him for two years with his Covid year.  Also don’t hear them trying to get rid of Motzko when he is moving the program in the direction of getting older.  It seems to be an obsession with their fan base, so they will cheer for Denver.  Guess you might as well cheer for the best league in college hockey.

• Like 1

It was not a great year for forwards or defensemen.  Usually one demands the award with his play. That made it a perfect year for McKay to slide in and get it.  For the same reasons, if Sanderson had come back and blown up in late Feb and March, it would have been his.  They love the U.S. team pedigree. 

I think McKay was the right choice.

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can’t believe it hasn’t been said yet: 

The Bob Motzko playoff tradition lives on. 

Yeah, his teams have struggled on the big stage.  I will give him credit though; this is the best team Minny has had in a while.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

Man, what a crushing game to watch if you’re a Bronco fan. Looks like Motzko has brought Minnesota back to prominence. In quite a short time too.

Yeah, it was devastating.  Shut out by minnesota of all teams?  Row the frickin' boat..... ugh. 

It'll be a long time until we have a team this talented again.  Unless Fersch can pull off some recruiting or transfer portal magic. 

37 minutes ago, ubish said:

Yeah, it was devastating.  Shut out by minnesota of all teams?  Row the frickin' boat..... ugh. 

It'll be a long time until we have a team this talented again.  Unless Fersch can pull off some recruiting or transfer portal magic. 

Condolences on a tough loss.   

I may be more optimistic about Western Michigan's future ... Fersch and assistant Jason Herter both have good track records of managing and developing talent.   Guessing 22-23 is a rebuilding year (but with the portal who knows), and 23-24 another year of contending for Western.