SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

1EACCE28-40A9-4197-AC32-9FDC0C4EF449.jpeg

I'm surprised more of the smaller name schools don't follow the Maverick's playbook.   Yes, you still have to find the right players, but you can compete pretty well with men while some players still are boys comparatively speaking.  It is a good reason why it is better to keep players an extra year in Juniors when possible, so they are that much more physically able to compete against teams like Minnesota State.  

17 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm surprised more of the smaller name schools don't follow the Maverick's playbook.   Yes, you still have to find the right players, but you can compete pretty well with men while some players still are boys comparatively speaking.  It is a good reason why it is better to keep players an extra year in Juniors when possible, so they are that much more physically able to compete against teams like Minnesota State.  

I wonder what the Don’s stance on older players will be now that he’s the new commish of a conference full of smaller schools who rely on getting older players than, say, schools like “the U”?

• Upvote 1

Catching up on GPL reading, it seems like next season's national title game is already set between Michigan and Minnesota.  :) ;)

Although to do that, the B10 teams would have to be able to get past the first round of the NCAA's, something that has proven difficult for many of them.  :D  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

Catching up on GPL reading, it seems like next season's national title game is already set between Michigan and Minnesota.  :) ;)

Although to do that, the B10 teams would have to be able to get past the first round of the NCAA's, something that has proven difficult for many of them.  :D  

Playing in the Big10 will give you a false sense of security about how good you actually are. 

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Well we all know they'll be set up in different regionals so the possibility will exist.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, tnt said:

Many do.

Oldest teams in college hockey this past season

AIC, Mankato, RIT, Niagara, Army, LSSU, Bemidji, Sacred heart, Canisius, Air Force, Michigan Tech, LIU, SCSU

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Minnesota / Michigan on paper will be the two favorites going into next year. I see Minnesota next year as this past years UND team. Guaranteed #1 seed type team. 

We still have no idea who is coming back for Michigan.  If Power and Kent Johnson are taken in the top 3 of the draft, they could be gone.  Would think Minnesota should be able to score more, but remember Minnesota didn't exactly light it up against defensive minded teams like Notre Dame and Minnesota State.  Thankfully for them they play in the wide open Big Ten, but I sure want to see how guys like Lucius react when they are pounded consistently in the scoring zone by guys like Sanderson and Kleven.  Certainly they will be high in the rankings, but when adversity hits will tell the tale as to where they end up.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Minnesota / Michigan on paper will be the two favorites going into next year. I see Minnesota next year as this past years UND team. Guaranteed #1 seed type team. 

My question would be how? What we basing this on. I am just wondering. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

The moment Bucci has a lovefest for Minnesota and Michigan they will be doomed

Since the inception of the B1G we’ve been told how attractive that league is and how great they are. With mixed results. To me, outside an appearance by Minnesota in the championship game they’ve been nothing more than a league full of mediocre power Five schools that haven’t won a title. I agree on Bucci he can’t see past Hockey East and the Big Ten. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Goon said:

Since the inception of the B1G we’ve been told how attractive that league is and how great they are. With mixed results. To me, outside an appearance by Minnesota in the championship game they’ve been nothing more than a league full of mediocre power Five schools that haven’t won a title. I agree on Bucci he can’t see past Hockey East and the Big Ten. 

Wasn't Notre Dame in the B1G when they played Duluth in Minneapolis? 

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Wasn't Notre Dame in the B1G when they played Duluth in Minneapolis? 

Okay, point taken, but what have they really accomplished in 8 years? Not much compared to the NCHC. 

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

I generally agree with you, but if you look at the rankings, Michigan has 6 kids that are likely to be drafted in the 1st round and 4 in the top 10. They are getting some scary, albeit very young, talent. BU has had similar talent in past years, but we also know how talented those teams were. 

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

My question would be how? What we basing this on. I am just wondering. 

#1 Seed this year. They return.

• Jack LaFontaine (Mike Richter Award Winner). Elite Goaltending.
  • Defensively, it was my understanding that they were on Par w/ UND last year. They return everybody but Rossini. They'll be better next year than this past year with LaCombe / Faber / Koster / Johnson / Brinkman all being a year older.

Goaltending / Defensively they were elite last year and return everyone of importance. 

• Offensively. They do lose Ranta / Reedy / McManus, but return a lot as well. Have one of the best recruiting classes, plus just picked up Cruikshank.

They are stacked. Far from a guarantee they'll win it all, but it's hard to argue they aren't one of the favorites.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

... but I sure want to see how guys like Lucius react when they are pounded consistently in the scoring zone by guys like Sanderson and Kleven.  Certainly they will be high in the rankings, but when adversity hits will tell the tale as to where they end up.  

The B1G regular season style of play does not translate to post-season play. 

For reference: See the years the Washington Capitals won the President's Trophy but were bounced in round one or two of the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Defensively, it was my understanding that they were on Par w/ UND last year. They return everybody but Rossini. They'll be better next year than this past year with LaCombe / Faber / Koster / Johnson / Brinkman all being a year older.

Goaltending / Defensively they were elite last year and return everyone of importance. 

• Offensively. They do lose Ranta / Reedy / McManus, but return a lot as well. Have one of the best recruiting classes, plus just picked up Cruikshank.

They are stacked. Far from a guarantee they'll win it all, but it's hard to argue they aren't one of the favorites.

They will have a highly skilled team, but they are missing a key piece.... A head coach that can change up the game plan when it is needed. Watching Motsko curl up in a ball when his team needed him was very telling of his abilities. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

If their D was truly on par with ours they would have had at least one player sign.

LaFontaine better get ready for another Thanksgiving Massacre!

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If their D was truly on par with ours they would have had at least one player sign.

LaFontaine better get ready for another Thanksgiving Massacre!

Talent wise their top four were Johnson (Sophomore), LaCombe (Sophomore), Faber (Freshman), Koster (Freshman). Compare that with who UND is going to lose (Seniors / JBD who stayed until his Junior year). 

This place is so weird most of the time. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Talent wise their top four were Johnson (Sophomore), LaCombe (Sophomore), Faber (Freshman), Koster (Freshman). Compare that with who UND is going to lose (Seniors / JBD who stayed until his Junior year). 

Wrong comparison.  

Compare Johnson/LaCombe/Faber/Koster (and Staudacher and Brinkman) with Frisch/Sanderson/Kleven/Moore (and Jandric and Ferner). 

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

They will have a highly skilled team, but they are missing a key piece.... A head coach that can change up the game plan when it is needed. Watching Motsko curl up in a ball when his team needed him was very telling of his abilities. 

Boy did he against Mankato when the game was still close. Absolutely made no adjustments when they showed him on the bench during a timeout