SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

On 7/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, farce poobah said:

The more I think about the RMU situation, I think it’s a desperate high pressure fundraising ploy. From a university President who seems not to care about the turmoil he created.  

cynical viewpoint I know. 

Disagree, especially after refusing to speak with potential donors after the decision was made and announced as final, and after they already bragged about how much money they raised.  For him now, its win win. (him being the president)

Looks like the covid season will pay dividends for ASU... apparently they get a return game from all the Big Ten teams in exchange for playing on the road all year.  

"Big Ten teams are committed to play return games at ASU, but Powers said that won't begin until the 2022-23 season when the Sun Devils move into their new 5,000-seat campus home currently under construction with the foundation being poured."

at the bottom https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2021/03/09/career-scoring-leader-johnny-walker-returning-asu-hockey/6926111002/

25 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Expectations are astronomical for Michigan. Gotta see if Power, Beniers, and Kent Johnson actually stay first but going to be a good watch to see how Michigan’s season goes.

Have to show they are better against non-conference teams then they have been. 

Interesting round 2 ahead in the draft.  A ton of good Europeans available.  Can't believe Raaty hasn't gone yet.  Morrow should go soon today.  Some have him dropping a bit to even where he possibly could go after Johnson.  I'll bet Morrow goes first but I'm wrong a lot. 

https://www.uscho.com/2021/07/28/granted-eligibility-by-ncaa-former-ohl-player-swankler-commits-to-bowling-green-for-2021-22-season/?fbclid=IwAR2R3j4zQYBe2pToLc4Eigin1s4LyL2hKh7w8T1U_sAu0d4pfED0JXuNbRY

Whole new ballgame for college/MJ rivalry. MJ players are compensated, and the rights to their likeness are granted to their team is probably at the root of their argument.

Murphy Stratton committed to UND despite playing playing 45 games in the WHL. He was led to believe the penalty would only be a year and 7 games but it turned out longer so he changed course.

Swankler didn’t play hockey in 20-21 season so I’m guessing that counts as time served? Not sure iit’s a huge change yet? In Swankler’s case, the NCAA must’ve determined the amount of time he’s sat out was enough to be eligible to play in 21-22 season.

15 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Murphy Stratton committed to UND despite playing playing 45 games in the WHL. He was led to believe the penalty would only be a year and 7 games but it turned out longer so he changed course.

Swankler didn’t play hockey in 20-21 season so I’m guessing that counts as time served? Not sure iit’s a huge change yet? In Swankler’s case, the NCAA must’ve determined the amount of time he’s sat out was enough to be eligible to play in 21-22 season.

It'll be interesting to hear the rationale. I assumed it's NIL related but it could be due to not skating last year.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, bale31 said:

Darren Blue, MSU-M assistant coach, resigned to enter the private sector. Rumor has it that this had been in the works and they already have a replacement in mind.

https://www.keyc.com/2021/07/27/blue-announces-resignation-mavericks-assistant-coach/

My bet is that he knows by the time Hastings contract is up that he's going to be too old to get the official nod for anything more than interim head coach, Its entirely possible they want someone who Hastings can train to be a long-term successor. Currently Mike's Contract expires in 2027 At which point he will be getting pretty close to retirement age, there is always a possibility that he may get another extension for a shorter term after that but, but I'm sure they want to bring on someone younger who might want to take over once Mike is ready to retire or call it quits, someone who Mike can train to emulate his coaching style and philosophy.

Watched the Motzko memorial on a YouTube link, still just torn apart for Bob and family.  I'm sure UND will do something for Bob when he and the Gophers visit Thanksgiving weekend.  Many kind comments from many in the extended hockey family.  

Hug your kids folks.  They are supposed to bury us, not the other way a around....:(

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Andy Murray resigns after 10 years at Western Michigan. PT Ferschweiler named head coach.

I would've thought he'd give it one more year since WMU has a real shot of making some noise this season based on players who decided to return for them. 

11 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I would've thought he'd give it one more year since WMU has a real shot of making some noise this season based on players who decided to return for them. 

It is surprising but seeing he's 70 it’s also not that surprising.