Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22


cberkas
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jk said:

We have never seen a college team with that kind of talent, though.  Four of the top five overall picks in one draft, plus other guys.  Truly unprecedented.  It will be the ultimate test of 19 year old supertalent against 23 year old workers and late bloomers. 

I hate to say it, but Michigan succeeding will be good for the college hockey vs. CHL battle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I hate to say it, but Michigan succeeding will be good for the college hockey vs. CHL battle.

I don’t think Michigan succeeding is as important as the players succeeding when they get to the next level.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote
Michigan's roster projects to be the first in college hockey history with 7 first-round draft picks on it (previous high: 6 on North Dakota, 2005-06)

That 05/06 UND team was the one with Stafford, Zajac, Oshie, Toews, Duncan, Spirko, Lee, Chorney, etc.  What a stacked team...they ended up losing in that 6-5 shootout in the Milwaukee F4 semifinal to BC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Goon said:

But for how long? They still need a conference and it's going to be tough convincing anyone to take them. 

Basically AA and Alabama Huntsville have programs just to have programs.  How can you ever hope to be competitive when your program is always on the chopping block.  You basically are always going to get the leftover recruits that have no place else to go, because who is going to commit to a program that has had to tell their players to look for a different place because the program is being cut?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 7:16 AM, Goon said:

But for how long? They still need a conference and it's going to be tough convincing anyone to take them. 

That is a good point, However lets look at the situation, Currently UAF and ASU are homeless, UAH and UAA have programs that have funding but won't be playing, Lindewood and Augustana are Both going to be adding college hockey, I think we have a real shot at see a lifeboat conference. ASU isn't as attractive an add as they thought they would be, and The NCHC isn't exactly looking to add new Teams, the CCHA is looking to keep the Conference geographically coherent, So outside of Augistana, they are not going to be interested in any of these teams. The Big-ten wants to expand within there existing member schools rather than affiliates. Bottom line you have enough schools here to make a conference, which is better for all of them, it means one school is guaranteed a trip to the National Tourney, and for at least a few years that would be probably between ASU and UAF, it could also make it easier for other non-traditional market teams to come in and have a home until there are enough teams in a given region to warrant breaking off to form a new conference.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be ok with them bringing back an independent tournament for an autobid. That let's all programs still have a shot. Conferences aren't then forced to add teams they don't want to.

Independents will probably end up playing each other a fair amount but most have some advantage in getting opponents. Teams will go to Alaska for the extra games if they only have to when they choose to.  ASU and to a lesser extent Huntsville have favorable weather during winter months so a fun trip for fans. Angie and Lindenwood and LIU are within reasonable proximity travel wise for other teams. 

There is precedent for an indy autobid and I think it would be a good way to grow the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd be ok with them bringing back an independent tournament for an autobid. That let's all programs still have a shot. Conferences aren't then forced to add teams they don't want to.

Independents will probably end up playing each other a fair amount but most have some advantage in getting opponents. Teams will go to Alaska for the extra games if they only have to when they choose to.  ASU and to a lesser extent Huntsville have favorable weather during winter months so a fun trip for fans. Angie and Lindenwood and LIU are within reasonable proximity travel wise for other teams. 

There is precedent for an indy autobid and I think it would be a good way to grow the game. 

UAH will not restart there program unless they are joining a conference, and I don't think UAA will have as much of a chance without a program. If the expansion has taught us anything is that hockey expands slowly, They could start there own conference, or see if the WCHA or College Hockey America would be willing to sponsor mens hockey again. I think a Lifeboat conference would be a more realistic option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd be ok with them bringing back an independent tournament for an autobid. That let's all programs still have a shot. Conferences aren't then forced to add teams they don't want to.

Independents will probably end up playing each other a fair amount but most have some advantage in getting opponents. Teams will go to Alaska for the extra games if they only have to when they choose to.  ASU and to a lesser extent Huntsville have favorable weather during winter months so a fun trip for fans. Angie and Lindenwood and LIU are within reasonable proximity travel wise for other teams. 

There is precedent for an indy autobid and I think it would be a good way to grow the game. 

This might work if the independent tourney autobid maybe played a playin for the 16th seed into the tourney...  but to take another spot away from a quality team for a crapteenth seed autobid forever is too much.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I hate to say it, but Michigan succeeding will be good for the college hockey vs. CHL battle.

Honestly. They’re a Big 10 school that has all of the advantages. I am more interested in seeing the NCHC succeed. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

This might work if the independent tourney autobid maybe played a playin for the 16th seed into the tourney...  but to take another spot away from a quality team for a crapteenth seed autobid forever is too much.

I'd argue is those teams knew they would consistently have a chance at an autobid, they would get better.  A big part of the reason those teams struggle is the constant uncertainty of their future.  Yes the conference gives certainty of scheduling, but the autobid is the key issue.  I think 7 autobids and 9 at large is definitely workable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd argue is those teams knew they would consistently have a chance at an autobid, they would get better.  A big part of the reason those teams struggle is the constant uncertainty of their future.  Yes the conference gives certainty of scheduling, but the autobid is the key issue.  I think 7 autobids and 9 at large is definitely workable.

I would say that years ago Alaska Anchorage had a chance at an Autobid every year when all the big names left the WCHA.  Minnesota State took the ball and ran with that and took advantage.  AA just kept on with business as usual in being below average.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd argue is those teams knew they would consistently have a chance at an autobid, they would get better.  A big part of the reason those teams struggle is the constant uncertainty of their future.  Yes the conference gives certainty of scheduling, but the autobid is the key issue.  I think 7 autobids and 9 at large is definitely workable.

Anecdotally, history has show this to be not true or obtainable. 

More recently, maybe better a better outcome, may have to dig into this theory more, I'd like it to be tru and come to fruition but quite sceptical when the expense is a quality competative team losing its place in the tourney. 

Especially with the math of the pairwise being so close most years in those areas  and the 16th seed being so far back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...