SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He knows the type of kids to recruit to play his system to a T.  Had some down years in Duluth, and many wanted him gone after consecutive sub .500 seasons, but to say he got it figured out is an understatement. 

Once again, first half was in old Decc which was a pit.  A true examination of Sandelins career should start once the Amsoil opened up.  Sandelin trying to recruit to old Decc is apples to oranges when compared to UND coaches Hak and Berry getting to recruit to the Taj Mahal their entire careers. 

17 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Has Berry been at UND for 21 years? How about 10? Simple question.

It’s no use trying to reason with them. They are hell bent on blaming someone or something. It sucks, I get it but programs are going to experience ups and downs, even great ones. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, crb1 said:

It’s no use trying to reason with them. They are hell bent on blaming someone or something. It sucks, I get it but programs are going to experience ups and downs, even great ones. 

Why can't some people come to grips with the fact that you cannot win a natty every year.  We will reload and we will have Gaber, most likely Sanderson and Kleven and a host of others along with some newcomer.  It is not the end of the world. Jammer also logged a lot of minutes and comes back as a freshman next season.  The sun will rise again tomorrow and UND will still have a good hockey team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Why can't some people come to grips with the fact that you cannot win a natty every year.  We will reload and we will have Gaber, most likely Sanderson and Kleven and a host of others along with some newcomer.  It is not the end of the world. Jammer also logged a lot of minutes and comes back as a freshman next season.  The sun will rise again tomorrow and UND will still have a good hockey team.

This team showed so much heart with their late comeback.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Once again, first half was in old Decc which was a pit.  A true examination of Sandelins career should start once the Amsoil opened up.  Sandelin trying to recruit to old Decc is apples to oranges when compared to UND coaches Hak and Berry getting to recruit to the Taj Mahal their entire careers. 

For the Sandy lovers...

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

He knows the type of kids to recruit to play his system to a T.  Had some down years in Duluth, and many wanted him gone after consecutive sub .500 seasons, but to say he got it figured out is an understatement. 

Big time...TBH it’s a heck of a lot harder to recruit to Duluth as a new coach than UND. Apples and oranges. What he’s done at Duluth is incredible. HOF type coaching. All that guy does is win big games.

35 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Big time...TBH it’s a heck of a lot harder to recruit to Duluth as a new coach than UND. Apples and oranges. What he’s done at Duluth is incredible. HOF type coaching. All that guy does is win big games.

Yeah, sucks for us, but at the same time you've got to be happy for an alum, former player, and former coach of ours.

For sure a HOF inductee in the future.  Could coach 30 years at Duluth, maybe more?  

27 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Did I miss something because to some it seems like Duluth won the national championship last night?   They still have two more to do that and it is not a given.   Last I checked it took Sandy 10 years to get his first and another 7 to get his second.   Berry is doing a hell of a job.

About 7 or 8 years ago they were about ready to run Sandy out of town. I am curious though, what sort of deal Sandy made with the devil. It’s going to be time to pay up soon.  I kid, I kid. 

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, sucks for us, but at the same time you've got to be happy for an alum, former player, and former coach of ours.

For sure a HOF inductee in the future.  Could coach 30 years at Duluth, maybe more?  

I wouldn’t be surprised though if Sandy gets his shot in the NHL. He surely would leave UMD for a chance at an NHL coaching gig. I say his days are numbered at UMD. Just like Hak, someone will offer him a contract he can’t refuse. 

25 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Last night after the whistles went away it seemed like the Duluth players would drop on any contact roll around and clutch their heads. If that’s how he is coaching I’ll pass. 

OK.....They should have used that strategy before they put the whistles a way, maybe they were tired. The officials did a great job considering the circumstances.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised though if Sandy gets his shot in the NHL. He surely would leave UMD for a chance at an NHL coaching gig. I say his days are numbered at UMD. Just like Hak, someone will offer him a contract he can’t refuse. 

Pretty well known how content he is in Duluth.  Plus while not unheard of, he is getting to be past the age when the NHL will pluck a guy for his first fig.  

23 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Pretty well known how content he is in Duluth.  Plus while not unheard of, he is getting to be past the age when the NHL will pluck a guy for his first fig.  

Don’t be so sure. His name was brought up a few times in conversations. If presented the right deal he would take it. Money talks, and the NHL would pay him far more than any college gig.