SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Neither SCSU or Duluth won their conference or tournament, and I would hardly say they had mediocre seasons.

If Miami would have come out of nowhere and won the NCHC tournament, would that have made them fit your criteria? They have a terrible season but they play good for 1 week, so they make the tourney, but a 2 place team like SCSU or Duluth shouldn't? I'm just having a tough time following the logic here.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't say most teams in the national tourney have had mediocre seasons. It could be argued that a team like AIC that had a good season on paper, is still far more mediocre than many second or third place teams in other conferences.

This year is not really a good example as teams played in the POD, UND hosted the NCHC tourney and unbalanced schedule. 

I would call Omaha a mediocre team this year.  If they would have got hot for 2 weekend they would be national champs.

Just my option you should have to win something to get into the National Tourney.  Maybe its talking out of both sides of my mouth, but if in post season time you keep winning then our keep playing. Also this years NCHC tourney was a bad example as it was single elimination with UND being the only team with Home ice advantage.  In other years the lower seed needs to go on the road and beat a higher seed 2 out of 3 than have a good weekend in St Paul.

The first year of Duluth's Back to Back championships they were a mediocre team.  

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You people are bonkers.  If anything, Sandy is just luckier.  One bounce UND's way this past weekend and nobody is saying a word.  In hockey, good coaching puts a team in position to win, but with a single elimination tourney, luck is nearly as important as good coaching.  Sandy happened to be luckier this past weekend, as the game went to 5 OT while his team got a bye instead of the number one OVERALL seed in the tourney.  Duluth finished 3rd in conference this year, and then got lucky and beat us.  UND prob wins 3 of 5 vs them.  That doesn't make Sandy the best coach for UND when we already have at least just as good of a coach.  Too bad Berry was unlucky enough to have a pandemic strike while we had maybe our best programs best team ever - if we had Sandy the virus prob would have stayed in China...

Just because Hack and Berry make it look easy to win doesn't mean it is.  Just ask Lucia.

Luckier,  fortunate, puck luck whatever you want to call as they have been blessed the past several years with a number of their tournament games going to OT and them coming out on top.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

You people are bonkers.  If anything, Sandy is just luckier.  One bounce UND's way this past weekend and nobody is saying a word.  In hockey, good coaching puts a team in position to win, but with a single elimination tourney, luck is nearly as important as good coaching.  Sandy happened to be luckier this past weekend, as the game went to 5 OT while his team got a bye instead of the number one OVERALL seed in the tourney.  Duluth finished 3rd in conference this year, and then got lucky and beat us.  UND prob wins 3 of 5 vs them.  That doesn't make Sandy the best coach for UND when we already have at least just as good of a coach.  Too bad Berry was unlucky enough to have a pandemic strike while we had maybe our best programs best team ever - if we had Sandy the virus prob would have stayed in China...

Just because Hack and Berry make it look easy to win doesn't mean it is.  Just ask Lucia.

There comes a point where it can't just be chalked up to good luck anymore.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

There comes a point where it can't just be chalked up to good luck anymore.  

You're right.  Sandy really came into that fifth OT with a game winning plan, and had his players execute it to perfection.
Berry just didn't know what hit him.  He only had a game plan thru the fourth OT.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

People need to stop with that "we were the number one seed and we didnt get a bye" bull$H!T. These teams plays on friday and saturday nights all season and are prepared to play back to back nights. we had every chance to win the game but we just couldn't stop hitting posts! we didnt score for a whole 98 min between the AIC and Duluth game, thats just unacceptable during playoff time. We also do not know if this was one of the best teams in the country due to us only being able to play conference foes. All we know is, we were a good team who won the conference regular season title and post season championship and we lost fair and square on saturday/sunday night against duluth 

• Upvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

We have to remember that Berry DID take us to the NCAA title in 2016. So he has proven it can happen under his watch. And I think we'll get back there sooner rather than later.

BuT hE hAd HaKsToL's ReCrUiTs To WiN iT! Cause you know, gotta minimize what Berry did and amplify how awesome Sandelin is. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We have to remember that Berry DID take us to the NCAA title in 2016. So he has proven it can happen under his watch. And I think we'll get back there sooner rather than later.

One could be fooled into forgetting that reading this board, so thank you for the reminder

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

BuT hE hAd HaKsToL's ReCrUiTs To WiN iT! Cause you know, gotta minimize what Berry did and amplify how awesome Sandelin is. :silly:

Not to mention that when Berry won that championship, these same people were probably saying I ToLd yOU sOOooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, nodak651 said:

Not to mention that when Berry won that championship, these same people were probably saying I ToLd yOU sOOooo!!!!!!!!!!!

And only two teams in the entire country have won a championship since then.  Everyone except Duluth and Denver should can their coach...   On second thought, don't look at Denver's record this year.  

23 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

:D Best post of the year. Someone who understands the game.

so you know for a fact that sandy didn't wait for a certain d corp that was totally gassed and winded to send out a somewhat rested fourth liner with "fresher" legs....to say that there was no "coaching" going is a questionable

38 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

People need to stop with that "we were the number one seed and we didnt get a bye" bull$H!T. These teams plays on friday and saturday nights all season and are prepared to play back to back nights. ...

I don't have a snappy memory, can you point out the weekends when one team played both nights while the other team only played one of the nights.   Don't misread this, I detest excuses as much as the next but your yelling at clouds doesn't get this point across either.

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so you know for a fact that sandy didn't wait for a certain d corp that was totally gassed and winded to send out a somewhat rested fourth liner with "fresher" legs....to say that there was no "coaching" going is a questionable

Well, considering that Berry did that exact thing numerous times over the course of the OT's as well...you could say he was 'coaching' as well.
Example...how many shifts did Albrecht get during the first three periods...then compare that with how many shifts he got during the OT periods.

In my eyes, they are both great coaches..   but those are my eyes.   I do wonder about the common refrain about "playing our game"...   seems like playing whatever game it takes to win should be at the top of the list?   well, maybe not the frowned on "goon it up" approach....   of course a person needs the personnel to play at whatever scheme is utilized.  Is "stay the course and play our game" a winning strategy?  if it is, does the losing team just have the losing strategy?

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I'm sure that Sandelin knew that UND was going to hit multiple posts in OT (including the one where Sanderson hit both posts) and just waited for the right opportunity to send out a freshman to shoot a puck 5 hole that Scheel stops 99/100 times. :0

13 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't have a snappy memory, can you point out the weekends when one team played both nights while the other team only played one of the nights.   Don't misread this, I detest excuses as much as the next but your yelling at clouds doesn't get this point across either.

do you not remember the 2010 final five? I'll jog your memory, UND played UMD in the play in game, UND WON. Next night we played the Pioneers, we won. Championship game we played St. Cloud State and guess what, we won the championship. It was also when we had a good run of winning the final five 3 times in a row. The fact of the matter is, it doesnt matter how many games you play, when its tournament time you need to bury your chance and show up. We showed up but couldn't bury our chances.

4 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I'm sure that Sandelin knew that UND was going to hit multiple posts in OT (including the one where Sanderson hit both posts) and just waited for the right opportunity to send out a freshman to shoot a puck 5 hole that Scheel stops 99/100 times. :0

999/1000, the goalie is out there the entire time , no breaks. Fatigue after 4 ot is real , UMD goalie took himself out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

999/1000, the goalie is out there the entire time , no breaks. Fatigue after 4 ot is real , UMD goalie took himself out.

let me ask this question. Peter Thome is avery capable goalie, should we have done the same? I know Scheel has been good and Thome was cold but like you said, fatigue is/was setting in and 9/10 Scheel stops that shot.

13 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

let me ask this question. Peter Thome is avery capable goalie, should we have done the same? I know Scheel has been good and Thome was cold but like you said, fatigue is/was setting in and 9/10 Scheel stops that shot.

had this convo with a friend...at what point do you pull scheel bc of mental fatigue