SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

Takeaway from this: 
Don't believe the goalie when you ask them "are you good" for the Nth overtime; instead, have a quick arbitrary check on them before they go out. Make them "tennis ball" the wall or some other response quickness test. 

The cramping and subsequent pull of the UMD goalie should've been a bigger red flag. 

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

let me ask this question. Peter Thome is avery capable goalie, should we have done the same? I know Scheel has been good and Thome was cold but like you said, fatigue is/was setting in and 9/10 Scheel stops that shot.

Had the same conversation, you could see that at the end of the 3rd OT that the Duluth goalie was already struggling to stand up.  At the beginning of the 4th OT, it was apparent the first time he went down that he could not go on so they replaced the goalie.  Fanti made saves that Stejskal would not have because he was fresh.  I am certain UND would have won in the 4th OT if the goalie was not replaced. 

Looking at the UND situation, Scheel showed now signs of slowing down even in the 4th OT, He was getting up and down on the ice as normal. You cant fault them for keeping him in.  

My only thought is Fresh goalie of the bench would have faster reflexes against players that were dog tired and moving slower than normal, Advantage Goalie.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, skateshattrick said:

I'm sure that Sandelin knew that UND was going to hit multiple posts in OT (including the one where Sanderson hit both posts) and just waited for the right opportunity to send out a freshman to shoot a puck 5 hole that Scheel stops 99/100 times. :0

9 straight...he's doing something right

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, Benny Baker said:

3 NCAA championships last decade and going for #4 in the last 11 years.

The real University of Minnesota hockey team plays in Duluth.

From now on, the team 2 hours south needs to adopt the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Golden Gophers moniker.

If they three-peat next week, it becomes a pattern. One that makes us look stuck in the mud by comparison.

People can talk all they want about "puck luck" and "parity", but one team three-peating disproves both of those ideas. Nobody wins three straight titles by being lucky. And nobody wins three straight titles if there is true parity.

Those words are what people tell themselves to make failure more palatable. I would rather face the truth: We are playing second banana to someone else.....again. It was Boston College (and I am so glad they got knocked off last week), now it is Duluth (Go UMass). Sooner or later, we will start losing recruiting battles over it.

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If they three-peat next week, it becomes a pattern. One that makes us look stuck in the mud by comparison.

People can talk all they want about "puck luck" and "parity", but one team three-peating disproves both of those ideas. Nobody wins three straight titles by being lucky. And nobody wins three straight titles if there is true parity.

Those words are what people tell themselves to make failure more palatable. I would rather face the truth: We are playing second banana to someone else.....again. It was Boston College (and I am so glad they got knocked off last week), now it is Duluth (Go UMass). Sooner or later, we will start losing recruiting battles over it.

I tend to agree with you on most your takes but you might be slightly wrong on this one. UMD got lucky when they played us in the 5 OT game. Heck if we would've won it, we would've got lucky. OT 1 and 2 you still have skill going but I believe once you get deeper it takes luck to win the game.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I tend to agree with you on most your takes but you might be slightly wrong on this one. UMD got lucky when they played us in the 5 OT game. Heck if we would've won it, we would've got lucky. OT 1 and 2 you still have skill going but I believe once you get deeper it takes luck to win the game.

What about their first two titles? Was that "luck" too?

It doesn't matter how it happens; in the end, we come off looking like a program that underachieves when the chips are down. And that is what people remember. And that is not good.

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It doesn't matter how it happens; in the end, we come off looking like a program that underachieves when the chips are down. And that is what people remember. And that is not good.

You'll never convince me 2011 wasn't. UND was 2-1 against Duluth that year, outscoring them 11-5. Shawn Hunwick played the game of his life to keep Duluth from having to face UND again.

59 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

An under-achieving 8-time national title hockey program?  Think of our run from 1980-1987...three titles in those years, similar to the run that Duluth is on right now.
Every high end program goes through those ebbs and flows, and yes...it takes a bit of puck luck to end the season with a title banner.
UMD got lucky this year having a first round bye as a lower seed a day after UND played the late game.  And they got lucky that any one of the several OT post shots by UND didn't go in.  But that's hockey. 

I certainly don't view our program as "underachieving".  That's not what I remember.  But, hey, to each their own.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Duluth has done what they needed to do to win, which is all they can do, but making the tournament by some miniscule decimal point the first year, having to play Air Force rather than St. Cloud, and then having that same St. Cloud team blow a tire against AIC, not to mention getting a bye then playing a 5 overtime game against a team that played the late game the night before sure helped in those runs.  We have seen teams that repeat in the past go on long droughts because it is hard to do, but then you will just move on to the next team that is doing well, and ask why can't UND be more like them.  Our titles will come, but I sure don't mind winning league championships in the meantime.   

On 3/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, gfhockey said:

He’s a tourney tested coach

how much would it take to get him here

Too soon?  ;)

All in all, I would say that Berry had the far superior year with two trophies compared to Sandelin's zero.
He just got out-coached tonight...UMass coach had his players let UMD control play so that they could crush their souls in OT.  ;) :)

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Berry was home tonight watching the guy that eliminated him two weeks ago so a little hard to argue he still had the better season....... none of the Frozen Four teams were flukes this year so someone has to lose.  

Berry easily had the better season.  No one will remember in a couple years who finished 3rd/4th in the 2021 F4.
UMD wasn't a fluke F4 team, but UND certainly was the better team throughout the entire season and earned two trophies because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly trade both those trophies for another national title, but it just wasn't to be this year.
Maybe next year...

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Berry was home tonight watching the guy that eliminated him two weeks ago so a little hard to argue he still had the better season....... none of the Frozen Four teams were flukes this year so someone has to lose.  

I don’t think UMD hangs participation banners. Better season? They won nothing. Overall, UND had the much better season. That isn’t even a debate. Winning the regular season, conference tournament, or national championship isn’t easy. UND won 2 out of 3 and while I certainly wish a national title was part of that number instead of either the penrose or conference championship, it was still a better season than UMD.

• Upvote 4