SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I recall that part, was Sandelin also an assistant or coaching elsewhere?

Hakstol became Assistant at UND the year that Sandelin became Head Coach at Duluth.

Sandelin - Assistant Coach at UND from 1994-2000

Hakstol - Assistant Coach at UND from 2000-2001, Associate from 2001-2004, and Head from 2004-2015

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Blais recommend hak get it

Well, what did he know about hockey?  I’m surprised he didn’t consult with you and the siouxkid person. Considering the respect our players, and the college and nhl hockey communities have had for these two coaches it makes you two sound like a couple of rubes. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Well, what did he know about hockey?  I’m surprised he didn’t consult with you and the siouxkid person. Considering the respect our players, and the college and nhl hockey communities have had for these two coaches it makes you two sound like a couple of rubes. 

At the time hak had the hot hand. Sandy was in the middle of building Umd and we decided to give the jewel to hak

28 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

At the time hak had the hot hand. Sandy was in the middle of building Umd and we decided to give the jewel to hak

Agree that Sandy had some growing pains in the 2000s . . . .

But, he also had Duluth in the Frozen Four in April 2004 just a month before Blais left for Columbus that May.

33 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

“We”? Aha! Now you’ve done it! You’ve given away your identity! A member of the Secret Society for the Hiring of Coaches! You’re probably the one sharing your sign on to the Transfer Portal! NCAA is gonna hunt you down brotha!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I am assuming that you are being sarcastic in this comment, right?  Berry is doing a great job and people that are not actively involved with coaching the program can sure have their own opinions, but they really don't matter to the team or staff.

Yes, of course. Read the entire thread for context.  Thank you. 

18 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Unfortunately your point of “the hot hand” is a reason many good coaches are let go for the wrong reason. There are many organizations who fail to support their employees/coaches who have been successful and even some who have won National Championships, World Series Titles, Super Bowls etc. Coaches don’t forget how to coach from one year to the next. Hakstol proved he could coach. So has Berry, so has Sandy. For that matter so did Lucia. The best leaders/GMs/owners understand that and will continue to support good coaches regardless of the impatience or unrealistic expectations of their fan base. The professional levels, collegiate levels, and high school levels are all different of course. At all levels, there comes a time when even good coaches have to be let go. Unless there is inappropriate behavior by the coach, it should never be solely due to parental pressure, or fan discontent. Lastly, the GOBC has no more influence in these decisions, especially hiring and firing than other fans which in the long run, unless the opinion is overwhelmingly widespread, is very little influence. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

Hakstol became Assistant at UND the year that Sandelin became Head Coach at Duluth.

Sandelin - Assistant Coach at UND from 1994-2000

Hakstol - Assistant Coach at UND from 2000-2001, Associate from 2001-2004, and Head from 2004-2015

Talk about snakebit.  Hired the year after a national championship and leaves the year before a national championship.

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, iramurphy said:

Hold the phone here. I never once said Berry is a terrible coach and Sandy is better, I am just pointing out facts. I also am pointing out that Hak never got a pass and neither should Berry. I am sorry you don't like what I pointed out and that it probably hurt your feelings but the fact remains, Berry hasn't been consistent in his short tenure. Does that mean he should be fired, no it sure doesn't. What it does mean is they have work to do and Berry would be the first to tell you that too.