SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

13 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Why can't some people come to grips with the fact that you cannot win a natty every yearWe will reload and we will have Gaber, most likely Sanderson and Kleven and a host of others along with some newcomer.  It is not the end of the world. Jammer also logged a lot of minutes and comes back as a freshman next season.  The sun will rise again tomorrow and UND will still have a good hockey team.

1...how about getting out of the regional first...

2...what good is reloading if we don't do anything with them other than beating aic?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

2...what good is reloading if we don't do anything with them other than beating aic?

Exactly. The standard in Grand Forks is NCAA titles. Nobody remembers who makes the tournament and bows out early. Having said that, it is premature to start calling for a change at the top. I think Berry will reload and get us back to the top of the mountain again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

If you don't reload with good talent you won't even get into the tournament.  Our program is very good at developing talent and we will be back next year.  I really believe that out of the top 4 NCHC teams anyone can beat anyone on any given night.  The teams are that close at the top of the NCHC.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I know everyone measures success by nattys but winning the NCHC is no small accomplishment.  We hung 2 banners this year so please don't belittle that accomplishment.

Sounds like something a SCSU fan would say.  The standard is higher at UND as there is only one banner that matters. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I know everyone measures success by nattys but winning the NCHC is no small accomplishment.  We hung 2 banners this year so please don't belittle that accomplishment.

Nobody is "belittling" the Penrose. I am glad we will hang another white banner. But the standard at UND is NCAA titles. I think that is why we attract so many quality athletes and players; people want to be part of something special.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:59 PM, siouxnatty#8 said:

when comparing how great college hockey teams are/were, you don't talk about regular and conference tournament championships, you talk national championships. Yes, winning both of those league championships are hard and show an overall body of work but that's not what anyone plays for.

• Upvote 2

I've always been of the mindset you shouldn't even have the chance to play for the national championship if you did't win the Regular or Post Season Title.  How can you be a national champion if you are not even the best team in your conference.  I've always hated at large or wild card teams.  A team has a mediocre season and plays lights out for 2 weekend of a whole season and we are supposed to anoint them national champions.  Makes not sense.  

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I've always been of the mindset you shouldn't even have the chance to play for the national championship if you did't win the Regular or Post Season Title.  How can you be a national champion if you are not even the best team in your conference.  I've always hated at large or wild card teams.  A team has a mediocre season and plays lights out for 2 weekend of a whole season and we are supposed to anoint them national champions.  Makes not sense.  

Neither SCSU or Duluth won their conference or tournament, and I would hardly say they had mediocre seasons.

If Miami would have come out of nowhere and won the NCHC tournament, would that have made them fit your criteria? They have a terrible season but they play good for 1 week, so they make the tourney, but a 2 place team like SCSU or Duluth shouldn't? I'm just having a tough time following the logic here.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't say most teams in the national tourney have had mediocre seasons. It could be argued that a team like AIC that had a good season on paper, is still far more mediocre than many second or third place teams in other conferences.

58 minutes ago, ChadR said:

This is all we need to see. First 6 years for Berry vs Sandy. 

I'll take Berry any day.

Berry would have been fired at UND with the kind of seasons Sandy had in 04-05 & 05-06.

image.png.3c69ecc746ddb5b46e15527450f119f6.png

Conference tournament title in 20-21 as well 

Not to mention 19-20 team didn't even have the chance at either despite being the #1 team in the country at the time.

FYI Loss and Tie headings are switched

50 minutes ago, ChadR said:

This is all we need to see. First 6 years for Berry vs Sandy. 

I'll take Berry any day.

Berry would have been fired at UND with the kind of seasons Sandy had in 04-05 & 05-06.

image.png.3c69ecc746ddb5b46e15527450f119f6.png

Sandelin took over a program that was in shambles, with facilities not much better than some high school arenas.  A little different than what Berry walked into.  That being said, I'd hope UND doesn't turn into a program whose fans are happy with results from 15 years ago and/or one where compiling wins is more important than greatness.  No sane person would argue that Don Sutton was a better pitcher than Sandy Koufax.......but Sutton did have alot more regular season wins.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1